RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Crank no start after engine swap

My Cars
    1993 325i

Crank no start after engine swap

Alright, let me start by saying im new to german cars in general. I've owned 13 ford vehicles, 1 toyota, and currently own a chevy diesel pickup. I've worked as an auto technician for 5 or 6 years, and consider myself at least above average with general troubleshooting and electrical.

Here's the story so far. A couple months ago i purchased a late 93 325i 5 speed with a blown headgasket. I knew the car didnt run when i bought it, and was confirmed with a compression test with 2 cylinders reading 0 psi and 2 reading 80/90psi.

Purchased a used engine from a 1995 525i automatic with 140k miles and clean oil. I have installed the engine and can't get it to start. I have a handful of symptoms and oddities that im not sure if theyre tied together or not.

Central locking does not work properly. Locks then unlocks immediately. This is tied into the immobilizer on the DWP/EWS to my understanding. Checked the wiring to the trunk and found some almost-broken wires, have not been repaired yet.

Fuel pump does not prime with key on, or while cranking. When relay is bypassed it does run and produce pressure. Unsure if the plumbing is correct, i believe i have the feed line routed to the front of the fuel rail, opposite the pressure regulator, i believe this to be backwards but couldnt find anything definitive.

As far as i can tell im not getting spark either, tried a multitude of ways to test for spark and all came up negative.

Car has a red label 413 dme, with a 1994 date on it, and some junkyard markings, not sure this is correct. From my reading this pcm was for 1994 with ews1, not driveaway protection, but read a thread about someone bypassing ews and using it in a 1995?

Crank position sensor ohms at roughly 525, i believe this is within spec.

Dme relay does turn on, i have battery voltage and ignition power at pin 54 and 56 at the dme plug.

Could not get the car to do the code flash.

None of the windows work.

During the swap my friend mistakenly hooked the main ground for the dme (brown wire) to the jump start post, rather than the strut tower, and left it on for sometime fmbefore i realized what he did.
    I cracked the case open, and found no signs of burning melting etc.

After all of my tests, reading, and logical thought, i believed I've narrowed it down to a few things

1-the pcm in the vehicle is completely wrong or fried, due to the grounding issue.
    2-it's a security issue, cutting fuel and spark via immobilizer.

If anyone that's fluent with these cars could help point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The '93 car doesn't have "real" EWS, just a starter immobilizer relay, etc. Now, as for the computer you've got there, I'm going to let someone else answer whether it's got actual EWS or not.

What I will say about the computer is that, well, hooking the grounds to the main hot was perhaps the end of the computer, if it was correctly plugged in when he did that. However: is the DME (computer) properly mounted in it's bracket, or properly, EXTERNALLY grounded? Because if it's just flopping around, that is WRONG. The case needs to be grounded, on an early E36.

To test for spark: Remove one coil, stick a spark plug in it, and ground the threads of the spark plug, as well as the coil mounting hole. Personally, I have a spare spark plug with a long wire soldered to the threads, and I connect the other end of that wire to a shock tower bolt

Does the car have any aftermarket or factory alarm system?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1993 325i
    Well what I read about "drive away protection" was that it only inhibited spark and ignition pulse, per what I believe to be a factory bmw service manual pdf.
    No the case has not been grounded, actually just flopping about lol ill try that tomorrow. As well as your method for testing spark.
    No aftermarket alarm to my knowledge.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Pages 113-114 of the adobe document. On a '93, there is a starter relay, no EWS (driveaway protection)

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1993 325i
    I'm unable to upload the pdf I have save explaining all the ews systems in length, but it reads clear as day that e36s made between 9/93 and 12/93 had "driveaway protection" and only kills ignition and fuel pulse. Activated by locking the car from the door sends a high signal to the gm, then to the dme.
    Because this system was only used for 4 months I can't find a whole more solid info on it, let alone wiring diagrams

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    so, what is the production date of your car?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    1993 325i
    9/93 is my build date

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    yeah, i have the same documents (been floating around for years and they do a good job explaining what was going on) - so, a 9/93 build needs the 1994 diagrams as they start with 9/93 - looks like page 158 of the pdf.

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf
    Last edited by shadowpuck; 03-28-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!