Thread: Upholstery and cushions - Seat refurbishment

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i

Upholstery and cushions - Seat refurbishment

Has anyone recovered their seats? Or taken care of what seems to be described as BMW Seat Rocks? Any insight and help would be appreciated.

I have most of the mechanical issues sorted out. Now its time to focus on the interior. The driver's comfort seat that the car came with is really uncomfortable. It feels like I am sitting on a lumpy rocks. I bought a set of sport seats and have the same problem. I looked at RealOEM and found this: 5210 1973 383, Described as a seat pad. Not sure if this is really the seat pad including the the bolsters or just a piece of padding.

I have some experience with sewing but have never put together an car seat. I had thought to reuse the leather (mine is in good shape) but figured I would have to replace almost all of the padding and cushion in the seat. I have found plenty of information on seat twist and seat rock, both issues solved. But have been unable to find any info on actually replacing the padding and cushions in the seats.

Thanks.

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    That should be the seat pad with the side bolsters.

Unhooking the leathers (they just hook on tabs on the seat frames with holes punched in the leather cover) and cutting the hog rings under the creases in the center of the seat to get the seat cover off is very easy. The seat pad on a plastic frame typically will be screwed (maybe Torx head) or plastic riveted to the frame, again very easy to get off and on, just buy the plastic rivets in advance because they will typically break or you destroy them coming out.

Also look in the classified section or on ebay for take off seat pads and even take off seat cover sections (bottom or backs) in the color you need. I have done this on both the passenger and drivers seat bottoms in wifeys ///M3 in the past. I have bought these from prussianmotors in the past with great results plus they have some pictures of the underside of the seat bottoms for you to look at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E38-...RYb3mu&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E39-...FYqx5C&vxp=mtr

I recommend this tool to cut the steel hog rings (HomeDepot) DEWALT 9.7 in. Compound Action Diagonal Pliers Model# *DWHT70275, plus you'll need a set of hog nose pliers and rings to reattach portions on the seat cover to the seat cushions.

Dive in to it and good luck!
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    World Upholstery in California sells replacement seat pads.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    You can also fit a passenger seat to the driver side. That's what I did. The seat frames are made to be used on both sides with openings for the switches and arm rest attachments.