Thread: Extending e36 Arms

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i

Extending e36 Arms

Alright so I am going to have a set of e36 arms extended so I can ditch the e46 ones that got clearanced last season by my wheels, but destroyed the tires in the process.

I know everyone that I've seen do it has cut the end off and just extended it with a chunk of steel. To be honest though even with a great welder doing the work I have always been wary of that method for a couple reasons. I haven't personally seen any failure with them but to me there are a lot of sideways forces being applied to a couple butt welds, and then the other is required fixturing.

So for my question. Aside from the sway bar mount, is there any reason that they can't or shouldn't be extend like I'm thinking below? My thought is a stronger union than the other method if I do some plates to overlap the cut on the inside "dish" parts on the top and bottom.

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Why not just chop that whole section out, then notch a piece of 1.5" .250 dom to slip over the horizontal area of the "I-beam" and weld in?

- - - Updated - - -

We do radius arms like that when guys are on a budget. Here's a link to a thread detailing what I mean. You can apply the same theory here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/.../912061?page=1

My Cars
    1985 bmw 318i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by welchct View Post
    Why not just chop that whole section out, then notch a piece of 1.5" .250 dom to slip over the horizontal area of the "I-beam" and weld in?

- - - Updated - - -

We do radius arms like that when guys are on a budget. Here's a link to a thread detailing what I mean. You can apply the same theory here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/.../912061?page=1
    Wouldn't that make them super heavy though? I like this idea still though

My Cars
    none
    be careful, if you extend it there its going to push the wheel really car forward because of the angle of the arm.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    No, a foot of 1.5" .250 DOM is only 3.34 lbs.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as wheel placement, could you not just flip the offset lollipops used with e46 arms or go back to centered lollipops to center the wheel in the well? Or for that matter, just put a bend in the tube. My cheap JD2 bender can easily handle quarter wall tube in 1.5" OD.
    Last edited by welchct; 03-27-2017 at 08:20 PM.

My Cars
    none
    I mean you could but id try to maintain the OEM geometry as close as possible because its been proven on effective ways to get caster in spec. A degree difference on a small bend is hard to control and could have a big difference. id make a jig that holds the bushing "titty" and the ball joint so you can keep the outer ball joint square to the other two mounting locations. I do like the DOM tube idea though and seems much safer than but welds to old rusty cast steel.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Oh, I'd definitely recommend building a double sided jig to not only control geometry, but make sure both arms are perfect mirrors of one another. I'm just saying there are a lot of easy ways you can keep the arms from pushing the tires too far forward.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    SLR has some cool weld-on extender ends now that include a spherical bearing outer ball joint.

- - - Updated - - -

And that is a cool thread Welch! I like that idea a lot. If I didn't have my cool SLR extenders coming already, I might have done something like that.
    Last edited by tptrsn; 03-28-2017 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'd like pix of said extenders when they come in plz.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    SLR has some cool weld-on extender ends now that include a spherical bearing outer ball joint.

- - - Updated - - -

And that is a cool thread Welch! I like that idea a lot. If I didn't have my cool SLR extenders coming already, I might have done something like that.
    where did you fidnd those? i know Sean teased those in his Chelsea Dubai vid, but i havent seen the actualy part

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I did see a pic of them somewhere, but I can't remember where.. I actually ordered one of the budget kits that will include the extenders. I kind of thought it would be a humorous juxtaposition to put some really nice parts on my s#!tbox car.

Not planning to install them until after the season opener up here though, since right now I'm struggling to make enough garage time to get my turbo setup done.

My Cars
    98 328is
    Post pics when you get them!

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    IIRC jalopi has sets of extended e36 arms available, does he not?

see here : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...30-36-46/page3

If he is not selling them, at the very least you could see how he went about performing such a task. (Glow-In-The-Dark paint is presumably optional)

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    dd856891966b05853ccbd2ed918f1720.jpg

We have a bunch of these ready to ship currently. They will actually come with the outer pre-welded and the bearing already pressed in. The raw TIG'd ones are so pretty it's ridiculous.

They need some sort of paint just for corrosion protection so we'll probably just clear them rather than cover the nice colors. Considering nickel-plating also

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    dd856891966b05853ccbd2ed918f1720.jpg

We have a bunch of these ready to ship currently. They will actually come with the outer pre-welded and the bearing already pressed in. The raw TIG'd ones are so pretty it's ridiculous.

They need some sort of paint just for corrosion protection so we'll probably just clear them rather than cover the nice colors. Considering nickel-plating also
    i have been wanting to see a finished product of these, or an install. my brain cant comprehend how this works.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Bearing goes on the left, control arm goes on the right.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Bearing goes on the left, control arm goes on the right.
    So im assuming you just cut the bearing eye out and weld this in its place?

My Cars
    98 323
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    IIRC jalopi has sets of extended e36 arms available, does he not?

see here : https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...30-36-46/page3

If he is not selling them, at the very least you could see how he went about performing such a task. (Glow-In-The-Dark paint is presumably optional)
    Been a while everyone. I'm still selling extended control arms and have been planning on putting my extensions up for sale once I burn through my current inventory of arms. Though if people *just*can't*wait* for my arm extensions, I'd be willing to sell em before then. Here's a few shots

Though they're nowhere near as fancy as the SLR extensions (gotta tip my hat to you here Sean, those look really good) but if you're on a budget and don't have the best welder in the world, I've got your back

For about the cost of a cheap mans' date these days, you can get a pair of pre-beveled 63mm extensions made out of solid 1018 grade steel

The bevel reduces the thickness of the extension to approximately 3/16"

This puts the extensions into the realm of getting near 100% penetration with even 110V machines, provided the correct welding techniques are used

Feel free to PM me or send an email to jalopi@bimmerperformance.com for pricing info or more details
    Last edited by jalopi; 04-05-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    Well you'll have to ignore my ugly welds. I wound up doing it my way, lol. In the low section I overlapped a piece of 1/4" and buttwelded 3/8" bar on the edges.

These are 1.5" longer than stock. The way I built my jig I can add other lengths if I want to try something different.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    As usual I like your approach to handling this issue Nic! Were you able to shape your bridging plates so they sort of hold the ends of the control arm flat and straight for welding all by themselves, or did you really need your jig to ensure proper alignment?

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    As usual I like your approach to handling this issue Nic! Were you able to shape your bridging plates so they sort of hold the ends of the control arm flat and straight for welding all by themselves, or did you really need your jig to ensure proper alignment?
    No you're right. My jig is pretty simple and pretty much only has 4 points of contact, the ball joints and the rear mount point. I also did have a stand off to set flat near the inside ball joint. But just a couple clamps holding my bridge plates while I tacked them. I'll grab a picture of my jig when I get a chance.

My Cars
    98 323
    For me, a piece of aluminum square stock + three C clamps did the trick just fine
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz