Thread: AiM Smartycam - Original and HD v2.1 Review and Compare

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3

Post AiM Smartycam - Original and HD v2.1 Review and Compare

This video is to review the features of the Smartycam by highlighting some of the primary differences between the original and the newer 2.1 version. Hopefully this will help you decide on your purchase of a Smartycam or help with your decision of whether or not to upgrade from the Smartycam Original to v2.1. I did not touch on any included PC software differences between the two cameras, just the actual camera hardware.

First is a display of example footage from each camera, followed by a list of pros and cons that I thought were important to know.

I tried to keep the example track video both interesting (!!) and reflective of both morning and afternoon sky.

Watch on YouTube and view the video's description for more details.

Click pic for my '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold), '05 WRX STI ( sold), and '08 Lotus Exige-S 240 Homepages
    Click <here> for my car vids (check out my spin compilations ISPINUWIN & ISPINUWIN2!!)

My Cars
    Getting ready to buy the formula car version. Want to be able to see the screen running before I leave grid.

Be sure to post your thoughts.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post
    Getting ready to buy the formula car version. Want to be able to see the screen running before I leave grid.
    Be sure to post your thoughts.
    I don't own a Smartycam HD v2.1 GP version but I see it comes with a 240x320 pixel 2.4" screen, and because the screen is not attached to the camera lens looks to be able to be mounted where you want. The regular camera has a 128x128 pixel which was like the Original had and is very small (like 1.5"), useful for aiming the camera only. I would think if mounted close to you, you could view the 2.4" screen. Really because the cameras are hands off during the weekend I never look at the screen once it is positioned.

Click pic for my '99 M3, 505rwhp '89 Mustang ( sold), '05 WRX STI ( sold), and '08 Lotus Exige-S 240 Homepages
    Click <here> for my car vids (check out my spin compilations ISPINUWIN & ISPINUWIN2!!)

My Cars
    Well, I was mainly saying; if I put the version you have behind me, I won't be able to tell if it's running. With the GP version I can look down at any time and make sure it's on. I like that a lot.

They need to make it so you can add a second camera to that GP version!
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    Well, I was mainly saying; if I put the version you have behind me, I won't be able to tell if it's running. With the GP version I can look down at any time and make sure it's on. I like that a lot.
    Agree!
    They need to make it so you can add a second camera to that GP version!
    Yeah at this price point I guess they can't make it to allow extra bullet cameras to be added to the one device. However, I do know if you want to buy more of them (the full device) they can be daisy chained together, along with whatever other AiM devices you have... or connected all into one bridge. Either way that would keep them sync'ed up to your data logger. I guess I could have kept my Original and pointed it somewhere else but video editing takes long enough as it is so I didn't.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    Someone privately had this concern/question, "Thought about doing a SmartyCam but wish it was a higher rate than 30fps".

My thoughts: Once you view it, post what you think... True the Smartycam does not have the resolution of a new GoPro, but the battery lasts a long time (and mine is powered via the car via the SoloDL plugged into OBDII), it never dies, and it auto turns on, starts and stops and no post processing overlay to do after the events so I can immediately review video with data. Basically it is reliable and totally hands free operation. Also never has wavy video and never dies due to heat (I am in Texas). Light spot metering also has great options. To me the 30fps frame rate is good enough I don't notice missing anything. In my opinion if your preference is to have the highest resolution available (but the cameras and cellphones out there often have wavy video in car environment, and they die in the heat) then the GoPro or something like that is the way to go, but for convenience for data analysis (easily done in the pits after an HPDE session) and reliability then I like the Smartycam.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    I was at the track last weekend and I got to test out a new (to me) idea. I installed a Micro Windjammer over the built in microphone. Perfect! I now have the full fidelity of the internal microphone without the loud wind noise.

My Cars
    That's good advice. Never heard of that.

This thing is so on my want list, but it looks like I'll be upgrading clutch/PP instead.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    Me either - it is working great. It is something that I couldn't use with the original Smartycam as its microphone was sealed in the camera's casing.
    The v2.1's microphone is on the right side of the camera (if the lens is facing toward you, it is on your right side if you are looking at it) so it picks up mostly what is next to it or out of the driver's side window when the lens is pointed out the front window. For me that is mostly supercharger noise.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    I finally posted some more track video. The last couple in-car scenes were recorded using the wind jammer on the internal mic. Windows down.

My Cars
    '99 BMW M3
    In my opinion the 67HFOV (aka the narrow view) lens is best for in-car view, at least in the Exige. For an example, all of my videos used the 67 lens. I say this because wider = a view more like a fish eye go pro. You can't see out the front as closely, and you see a lot of the side windows..which... I find who cares, you can't tell what is going on out the side anyway. Just my opinion, view other's videos and compare what you would like for yourself. You see in my examples that the view (when mounted on the harness/roll bar behind the seats) is a perfect view through the windscreen from left to right windscreen pillar. The wider view lenses might be what you want for outside mount or top down cars or if not mounted on harness bar.