Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Tire Rack did not supply the right tires or take responsibility.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335D; 1990 BMW

Unhappy Tire Rack did not supply the right tires or take responsibility.

A hard lesson to learn. I purchased 4 replacement run flat tires for my wife’s BMW 335d with40,000 mile tread wear warranty.After20,000 miles the front tires were half worn and the rear’s were near bald.I contacted Tire Rack, where I had purchased replacementtires, and they sent out 2 rear replacement tires to their local installer;which I fully paid for pending return.Upon installation it was discovered that the tires I had originallypurchased from Tire Rack were not run flats but standard tires.The tires look from the outside exactly thesame, Bridgestone RE960 vs RE970’s.There is a big difference in price and you are not supposed to mix nonrun flats and run flats.I contactedTire Rack and they would not help.Theircustomer service would not listen but blamed the problem on me or theirinstaller.With some investigation Ilearned about DOT numbers and was surprised that the installer does not trackthe DOT number and only Tire Rack has.TireRack is the only one with the DOT number and there seems to be no way toverifying the DOT numbers. They say it is not their mistake but communicationwith them has been difficult and they don’t seem to have a customer oriented ortrustworthy culture.I spoke with theinstaller and they reviewed the labeling and segregation of the tires receivedfrom Tire Rack to prevent switching.They are a small installer and there process seems reliable.Who knows how often this happens but I wantedto share this story with others so they buy their tires from the installer toeliminate this problem.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemans View Post
    A hard lesson to learn. I purchased 4 replacement run flat tires for my wife’s BMW 335d with40,000 mile tread wear warranty.After20,000 miles the front tires were half worn and the rear’s were near bald.I contacted Tire Rack, where I had purchased replacementtires, and they sent out 2 rear replacement tires to their local installer;which I fully paid for pending return.Upon installation it was discovered that the tires I had originallypurchased from Tire Rack were not run flats but standard tires.The tires look from the outside exactly thesame, Bridgestone RE960 vs RE970’s.There is a big difference in price and you are not supposed to mix nonrun flats and run flats.I contactedTire Rack and they would not help.Theircustomer service would not listen but blamed the problem on me or theirinstaller.With some investigation Ilearned about DOT numbers and was surprised that the installer does not trackthe DOT number and only Tire Rack has.TireRack is the only one with the DOT number and there seems to be no way toverifying the DOT numbers. They say it is not their mistake but communicationwith them has been difficult and they don’t seem to have a customer oriented ortrustworthy culture.I spoke with theinstaller and they reviewed the labeling and segregation of the tires receivedfrom Tire Rack to prevent switching.They are a small installer and there process seems reliable.Who knows how often this happens but I wantedto share this story with others so they buy their tires from the installer toeliminate this problem.
    Who did you talk to and who did you place the order with. Let me take a look at it. That just doesn't seem right.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack