Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Using sealant with run-flat tires

My Cars
    2016 435i Coupe (F32)

Using sealant with run-flat tires

Hello,

It's time to replace my original Continental ContiProContact SSR run-flat tires. I've read a great deal about staying with RFTs or replacing them with regular tires, and I see pluses and minuses with either approach.

I have no problem with my current tires; road noise is low, ride comfort is good, and 26-30k miles before replacing is acceptable.

Buying/installing a new set of RFTs would cost about $150 more than the regular tires I would buy (BFGoodrich - g-Force COMP-2 A/S), so cost difference is not an issue.

I have two questions:
    1. My only concern about RFTs is when I might be much more than 50 miles away from a tire shop; would sealant injected into an RFT allow me to keep driving for several hundred miles (as it would on a regular tire)?

2. If RFT air pressure is moderately low (as indicated by the TPMS), is there any harm to the tires if I keep driving 50, 100, or more miles before I find a place to add air to the tires?

Thank you,
    Jeff

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    First off the sealant does work if you catch it before there is a blow out. It is probably going to ruin the sensor but worth it if you are stuck in the rain at night. It will not hurt the tire and if it can be plugged you can still do that.
    If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack