Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to BMW: E30 Barnfind

My Cars
    '92 BMW 318i Convertible
    Exterior looks amazing, well done. Look forward to pics of engine and interior. I'd take it to a BMW mechanic to do the t-belt, but that's just me. With 16k miles seems it has potential to be near mint again, don't want to screw it up if you're not familiar with it already. (edit to add i'm an engine novice, full disclosure)
    Last edited by KangstaE30; 04-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    '92 318i Cabrio- Alpine White

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    When changing timing belts has anyone ever took one off that looked bad. I change my 325ic every 60,000 miles which is between 6 to 8 years. They all look like brand new, no cracks, no frays and still flexible. I drive my car easy, no jackrabbit starts etc. What have you found?

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    I replaced a 10yo belt on a newly bought e30 and it looked to be one starter crank from breaking. OP
    likes to live dangerously by starting and driving this car despite the warnings. Let's hope his luck holds
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987
    87 Lachsilber ETA Time Capsule. bought w 125k from 87yo original owner

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

New "made in Europe" seat shocks. PM for details
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ot-Seat-Shocks

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnhiscars View Post
    I replaced a 10yo belt on a newly bought e30 and it looked to be one starter crank from breaking. OP
    likes to live dangerously by starting and driving this car despite the warnings. Let's hope his luck holds
    Y'all seems to roast me on the fact that I haven't done this belt even-though the car isn't even street legal. I will take it to a BMW mechanic when I have the money but I'm in high school so I don't have a six figure job and I have two other cars that take a lot of maintenance. But when I get the money and the car registered I will get it done. So that being said some of y'all just need to chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    You've asked for advice and been given a huge red flag based on experience about the potential to brick your engine and you've chosen to ignore it.

What did you expect ?

oh..and the barn find in my sig I bought with a broken timing belt after the PO figured he could drive it a little longer.
    Last edited by Jeffnhiscars; 04-12-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    87 Zinno Cabrio 98k Barn Find. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=268987

Cabrio deck lid & hinge struts (w sleeves) now for sale. See the link below for more info

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnhiscars View Post
    You've asked for advice and been given a huge red flag based on experience about the potential to brick your engine and you've chosen to ignore it.

What did you expect ?
    I asked for advice which I guess was a mistake on this forum. Also read a little closer and you will see that I said I was going to do it before I drove the car again. So how am I ignoring it??

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    I'm soon to fine out for the first time how hard it is to change a T-Belt..A long weekend coming and have all the parts i need so that what i'm doing and nice weather to boot..

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    I'm soon to fine out for the first time how hard it is to change a T-Belt..A long weekend coming and have all the parts i need so that what i'm doing and nice weather to boot..
    hardest part was busting the fan loose. after that the timing mark on the cam can be a little tricky getting it lined up. recommend gates or conti belts.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30barnfind View Post
    Y'all seems to roast me on the fact that I haven't done this belt even-though the car isn't even street legal. I will take it to a BMW mechanic when I have the money but I'm in high school so I don't have a six figure job and I have two other cars that take a lot of maintenance. But when I get the money and the car registered I will get it done. So that being said some of y'all just need to chill.

You have to realize that you're 16, so you're an idiot. And before you try to argue that you're not, let me point to exhibit A. Everyone told you to change the timing belt before you started it, but you started it anyway. That has to be an original 30 year old timing belt. Starting it at all before changing it is incredibly risky. M20s are interference motors, that means that the valves will hit the pistons if the timing belt breaks. I have seen many many broken belts. I have also picked up many cheap e30s because some idiot didn't do what far more experienced and knowledgeable people told them to do. Let me tell you, changing the cylinder head on an e30 is a far harder job than the timing belt.

Changing the belt is not hard at all. I did my first e30 timing belt job around your age, here I am, nearly 15 years later and it's the first maintenance item I do whenever I buy another e30. Case in point, 2 months ago I picked up a non running e30. First maintenance item I ordered that night? FCP euro timing belt kit. And I even knew when the timing belt had been done last. Good thing too, because the tensioner was wobbly and the belt was probably a few hundred miles from shredding. It's also a great time to replace all your other belts too, since they have to come off.

Make sure you soak every nut and bolt you come across with penetrating fluid like pb blaster before you take it off. That goes double for any bolt/nut that sees heat like the exhaust.

Edit: Feel free to get angry and shut your ears to people that know better. You're only further proving my point. We've all been there at one point. Angry and angsty at these stupid adults who clearly don't understand. But really, we're just shaking our heads and laughing at you. /getoffmylawn.
    Last edited by Kershaw; 04-13-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    hardest part was busting the fan loose. after that the timing mark on the cam can be a little tricky getting it lined up. recommend gates or conti belts.
    thanks for the heads up I'll do like Dan did take one bolt off to get at the bolt to take the fan off....

My Cars
    87 Cabrio & 87 ETA
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    You have to realize that you're 16, so you're an idiot. And before you try to argue that you're not, let me point to exhibit A. Everyone told you to change the timing belt before you started it, but you started it anyway. That has to be an original 30 year old timing belt. Starting it at all before changing it is incredibly risky. M20s are interference motors, that means that the valves will hit the pistons if the timing belt breaks. I have seen many many broken belts. I have also picked up many cheap e30s because some idiot didn't do what far more experienced and knowledgeable people told them to do. Let me tell you, changing the cylinder head on an e30 is a far harder job than the timing belt.

Changing the belt is not hard at all. I did my first e30 timing belt job around your age, here I am, nearly 15 years later and it's the first maintenance item I do whenever I buy another e30. Case in point, 2 months ago I picked up a non running e30. First maintenance item I ordered that night? FCP euro timing belt kit. And I even knew when the timing belt had been done last. Good thing too, because the tensioner was wobbly and the belt was probably a few hundred miles from shredding. It's also a great time to replace all your other belts too, since they have to come off.

Make sure you soak every nut and bolt you come across with penetrating fluid like pb blaster before you take it off. That goes double for any bolt/nut that sees heat like the exhaust.

Edit: Feel free to get angry and shut your ears to people that know better. You're only further proving my point. We've all been there at one point. Angry and angsty at these stupid adults who clearly don't understand. But really, we're just shaking our heads and laughing at you. /getoffmylawn.
    What he said

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird

Like I said I plan on doing it. I had to have the car moved with out a tow truck. I really had no choice but to drive it, at least away from the sellers house. Also I never said that you or anyone else on this forum doesn't understand. Had the seller allowed for the car to be towed away I would have done that. Also coming to the conclusion that I'm an idiot just based on this forum and my age suggests that maybe there's an idiot at the other end of this discussion. That being said thanks for the advice.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    they're just busting your balls a tad man. we all care about the chassis here and no way in hell do we wanna see one get crushed thru avoidable stupidity. bmw forums in general and e30 forums in particular are raucous places. no one would bother replying at all if they didn't give a shit, or see you eventually be successful with the car.

You have to realize that you're 16, so you're an idiot.
    coulda left it right there lol

coming to the conclusion that I'm an idiot just based on this forum and my age suggests that maybe there's an idiot at the other end of this discussion. That being said thanks for the advice.
    not sure that reads entirely the way you meant lol. that said grow a little thicker skin, pull up a chair, and benefit from the knowledge pool of those who have wrenched before you. it'll be alright. but your only gonna find out if you stick with it.

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    You guys are way too nice, it does show that other E30 owners attempt to be helpful. But, who cares what he does with the car. We told him, so let him do what he wants. If it blows up, so be it...his problem. He has been warned numerous times. So far, lucky kid.

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird
    Well just posting this in this thread for a final update. Belt has been ordered! Car was overheating when driving(just on my driveway to move it around) so I put in a new radiator and thermostat. Still overheats. Now the starter blew. So I have over $600 in the car and really can't afford anything else for it so I am selling it. Thanks to all on this forum for the help with this car!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Well just posting this in this thread for a final update. Belt has been ordered! Car was overheating when driving(just on my driveway to move it around) so I put in a new radiator and thermostat. Still overheats. Now the starter blew. So I have over $600 in the car and really can't afford anything else for it so I am selling it. Thanks to all on this forum for the help with this car!

Overheating during moving around on the driveway sounds more like the fan clutch was broken.
    Sounds like you gave this rare 16k mile M20 a pretty hard time man. Well.. No offense, but please be honest to the buyer about the belt and the overheating. Glws.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    Overheating during moving around on the driveway sounds more like the fan clutch was broken.
    Sounds like you gave this rare 16k mile M20 a pretty hard time man. Well.. No offense, but please be honest to the buyer about the belt and the overheating. Glws.
    I plan on being honest with whoever buys it. And ya I did give it a hard time but I just can't really afford something like this right now. I also don't have the space for it or the time.

My Cars
    91 318is. 88 325 vert
    I have 2, otherwise i would buy it from you instantly. If i was closer, i would seriously consider rescuing the car however....C'mon people, someone grap this beauty..

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird
    I think I have a buyer lined up already. Thanks for the help everyone!

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    just throw the belt in with the sale. don't bother installing as the head sounds like it's gonna need to come off any way. think twice about selling. e30's while beginning to get rare, are still great cars to both learn on and drive. they are inexpensive to work on when compared to other road going classics, and respond well to simple modifications. plus they look great and will only head north in value over time when well kept.

My Cars
    1988 325iC Convertible
    Well just hope it goes to a good home that will give it the TLC that it deserves..May i ask how much you asking for it....

My Cars
    2017 X5, 1992 325iC
    Nice E30 too bad you are selling it, all it takes is some time troubleshooting it and some $$ to fix the overheating etc. but definitely worth holding on to. Someone will benefit from your loss.

My Cars
    1987 325e, 1989 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    Well just hope it goes to a good home that will give it the TLC that it deserves..May i ask how much you asking for it....

Yeah, how much?

My Cars
    Pile-o-Parts shaped like
    In the long run you would find that an e30 is actually an extremely cheap car to drive and maintain, specifically due to their reliability ...it's the type of car that takes care of you when you take care of it. That said, if I were you, I'd buy a Bentley manual for the e30 and follow the directions. Timing belts are easy, and if it hasn't broken before you change it, and you are careful not to turn the crank or the cam pulley, you don't even need to bother with the timing mark, although double checking can give piece of mind. Really though, if you can't change an e30 timing belt, you probably don't ever want to wrench on any vehicle, it's really not that challenging. Good luck in whatever you do with it.

My Cars
    Cadillac DTS/79 Firebird
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanEuro View Post
    In the long run you would find that an e30 is actually an extremely cheap car to drive and maintain, specifically due to their reliability ...it's the type of car that takes care of you when you take care of it. That said, if I were you, I'd buy a Bentley manual for the e30 and follow the directions. Timing belts are easy, and if it hasn't broken before you change it, and you are careful not to turn the crank or the cam pulley, you don't even need to bother with the timing mark, although double checking can give piece of mind. Really though, if you can't change an e30 timing belt, you probably don't ever want to wrench on any vehicle, it's really not that challenging. Good luck in whatever you do with it.
    Thanks for the advice, I think it is well within my skill level as I have done water pumps, radiators, starters and things like that on my other car. I haven't thought much about the tbelt as I have been spending hours trying to do starter as I can't seem to get access to the last bolt. I will do tbelt as soon as starter is done. The belt should be made much easier as my friend is letting me use his quickjacks which make going under the car so much easier. I'll let you all know what happens with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast