My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5

Windshield 1/2 right side doesn't wipe clear?

2016 X5 I've only owned it a month or so. 14k miles on it. brought it back to the dealer and they put another blade on. Left side always wipes great. IMG_9551.jpgIMG_9616.jpg
    *Is this just the nature of the beast to miss 1/2 the right side of the windshield?
    Seems to me the arm is not putting enough pressure on it equally across especially with the right 1/2 of the blade.
    *Should I press the dealer to install a new arm?

If I soak the hell out of the right side it eventually wipes clean, but when I'm on the highway the spray does not reach up high enough to soak down that right corner.
    *Are the sprayers adjustable, so I can have one stream focus more on that right quadrant?

The pic with the ice is understandably ice trails from a cold morning, but the left side is clear and it does show the uneven blade pressure.
    The other one was taken on a typical mud spraying wet winter day and you can see how the wiper misses the top right quadrant unless I really soak it down.
    Last edited by Expidia; 03-25-2017 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    I'd bet that there's less downward tension on the right wiper arm, nothing else makes sense.

My Cars
    2016 BMW X5 x35i
    I have the same year, vehicle. And same issues with mine. Dealer told me there was ice on it yet there wasn't...

My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5
    thx for those replies. It looks like its a result of how the right blade has this almost 45 degree angle to it so the arm does not have even pressure across the entire blade especially where the window on the top right quadrant begins to curve away.. I'm going to have the dealer put a new arm on it and if no change then he can swap it back for the old one. Another thought is I see owners of any car leave their blades up off the windshield during the cold weather to protect the blades from icing to the window in the cold weather. This might result in weakening the arm spring. One other thing that might help is if the sprayers are adjustable I'll have them train the one on the far right a little higher. I find when the car is moving the wind forces the spray pattern too low on the windshield.
    Last edited by Expidia; 03-28-2017 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Remember to get back with the results, I'm intrigued...

My Cars
    2016 X5, 2014 Audi Q5
    follow up: took suv in today for the trunk rattle (which I'll address in the other thread I started on the rattle issue). Its all about the tech you get. This guy Marc thompson at bmw south albany, ny was sharp. Knew his stuff inside and out. I suggested to the service manager that I'm even willing to pay for another arm because I dont know what else it could be after they replaced the blade the last time I came in with this issue. The tech said he addressed the issue by bending or adjusting the arm to have it apply more contact to that upper right quadrant. Now its 70 degrees here and the streets are clean, so it will be tough for me to see if its corrected. But from what I saw on how he corrected my trunk rattle, I'm sure the wiper is working correctly now.
    I'm sure I can catch some mud spray off the back of an 18 wheeler the next time I'm in the rain on the highway to test it out.

I did not see how he adjusted the arm, but his service sheet as to what he did says this: "Adjusted the wiper arm for more tension as it did not have enough pressure on the windshield. Also adjusted the angle of the blade with respect to the windshield."

I knew the arm did not have enough pressure. But the angle of the blade against the windshield was a good point which I never thought of.

I also asked him if the spray nozzles were adjustable like the old days. They are not adjustable. I find they are set a little low. And at highway speeds the wind pushes the spray pattern down even lower IMO.

Hope this fix helps others with the same issue. Like I've said the driver side blade works great. But the passenger side was only clearing half its sweep pattern.

followup: been raining here for two days straight. Passenger wiper looks to be working fine now. Also, it was a new blade a few weeks ago when I brought it in and it was making an annoying bird chirping noise when it rained. Thats gone too! Angle of blade against the windshield looks to be important.

Here is a link to my "fixed" trunk rattle issue:https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post29684669
    Last edited by Expidia; 04-26-2017 at 07:44 AM.