Thread: Those that use the GC RollCenter and BumpSteer correction...

My Cars

Those that use the GC RollCenter and BumpSteer correction...

...Did you just throw these on the car and hope for the best, or did you do very precise measurement of the resulting RC and then use a bumpsteer gauge and get it down to zero?

I took my car to a shop here in Denver - they measured Bumpsteer and said it was really close and not to waste my money on the detailed work it takes to get bumpsteer to zero.

In fairness, their measurement shows it's pretty close to zero - but it could be less than it is.

Thanks for any advice... I'm willing to take it elsewhere, but both shops in the Denver area said the same thing.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    95 M3 GTS2/ST
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post
    ...Did you just throw these on the car and hope for the best, or did you do very precise measurement of the resulting RC and then use a bumpsteer gauge and get it down to zero?

I took my car to a shop here in Denver - they measured Bumpsteer and said it was really close and not to waste my money on the detailed work it takes to get bumpsteer to zero.

In fairness, their measurement shows it's pretty close to zero - but it could be less than it is.

Thanks for any advice... I'm willing to take it elsewhere, but both shops in the Denver area said the same thing.
    I measured mine using toe plates and a bump steer gauge I made. I lowered the springs in their perches to allow me to move the front of the car (with the wheels on scales) up and down from static - 1" inch above and below. Below/bump is probably most important. I personally think it's worth doing if you are going to go thru the hassle of installing the parts and can say that small spacers at the tie rods make a decent difference. I had changed my ride height slightly from when I first checked it and on the first outing in the car, the front was pretty sketchy. I checked bumpsteer back at my garage and it was toeing out a good bit. I can also say (as I measured it) that the bumpsteer in the car with stock parts and at a reasonable ride height is not too bad. I think you can easily make it worse by just bolting things on and hoping for the best. I would also add that after doing the roll center correction, the car felt like it needed less spring up front, so I lowered my rates and am hoping that will be a better setup.