Thread: Any experience with Trac-Com Intercom driver/passenger comms system

My Cars
    1988 Alpine White E30 M3

Any experience with Trac-Com Intercom driver/passenger comms system

I just saw this comms system for driver/passenger communication - https://www.racecombyhms.com/products/trac-com#3593. I currently use the Chatterbox system when instructing and as many people on here know, whether you are a student or instructor, it's not the best solution. Unfortunately, up until now, there was no other cost-effective solution. It would be great to get some real feedback from individuals that have used this system, in terms of clarity of the audio and also the durability of the equipment and if it is better then the Chatterbox.

Current Stable:
    2016 Cayman GT4
    1995 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow (NASA GTS2)
    1994 E36 325i (AER)
    1988 E30 M3 (Alpine White)

My Cars
    332TI, '06 330 XI
    +1 I just saw this on a winding road racing email blast this morning. I'm especially interested if anyone has come up with a good inner ear speaker solution for those of us that don't have Stilo helmets and are currently using the installed chatterbox solution. I was able to find a set of mold-able ear buds that work with the chatterbox after the addition of an adapter (it's a normal jack vs the stupid chatterbox version) so that I can block out some of the noise from my car and hear my passengers without deafening myself!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Subscribed! Nice find. Just from the pics, looks like some thought was put into making it student proof. But those volume knobs and needing a 9v battery. Ug.
    Still, a good review might make me buy one.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    But those volume knobs and needing a 9v battery. Ug.
    Yeah, looks like a junior high science project. Those volume knobs seem to be located such that one or both of them will always get its setting disturbed, the box itself seems rather large, and for me the lack of a rechargeable battery is a deal killer. The idea is good but the execution needs a rethink.

Neil

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    By an odd coincidence I had the opportunity to try out this product this past weekend at VIR. Joe Marko of HMS Motorsport very kindly loaned me a demo unit to use with my students at the Tarheel school. I wear a Stilo helmet that has its own earphones and microphone, so couldn't try the student headset myself, but both my students were satisfied with it.

Here's the unit (each part sold separately, see pricing below):

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 09.24.54 .jpg
    (Click image to enlarge. Note that the current headset design is slightly different than shown.)

Pro
    - Excellent audio quality
    - Full duplex sound, with independent volume controls for each user
    - Easily replaceable 9V battery, plus LED battery state indicator (green/yellow/red)
    - Strong clip to attach to harness/seatbelt during use
    - Robust construction with heavy duty cables and reinforcements, high quality connectors
    - Made in USA (Mooresville, NC), 1 year warranty

Con
    - Protruding volume controls easily bumped during use
    - Harness clip not fully effective under track conditions due to weight of unit
    - Questionable design decisions to use disposable battery, bulky 9V type (see more below)
    - Connectors must be correctly clocked for insertion
    - Bulky and heavy compared to alternatives, can't be mounted on helmet
    - Current design seems more prototype than production
    - Price ($125 for the intercom box, two headsets at $80 each = $285 total for a basic setup)

Summary
    - Individual decision whether sound quality and features outweigh design issues and price
    - Hoping for an improved version 2.0

Some further thoughts about the battery. It was explained to me that an explicit design decision was taken to use a disposable battery, on the basis that when you run out of power a quick swap gets you going again vs. having to recharge the unit. This obviously presupposes having that replacement 9V battery on hand, since it's not something you're likely to find easily at the track. However a rechargeable battery can be juiced up quite quickly using either an AC outlet or a 12V USB car adapter, and the latter can be used immediately in any student car. For me the rechargeable solution crushes the disposable battery — others may not agree.

Neil

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I used to be very pro disposable vs rechargable. But not any more. *IF* the rechargeable is a quality battery (that is, will last at least 500 charges), and will last at least a full day (2 is better) with margin, I now prefer rechargeable. Better yet if the rechargeable is replaceable.

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    I used to be very pro disposable vs rechargable. But not any more. *IF* the rechargeable is a quality battery (that is, will last at least 500 charges), and will last at least a full day (2 is better) with margin, I now prefer rechargeable. Better yet if the rechargeable is replaceable.
    For comparison purposes, the current Chatterbox Tandem Pro 2 model with rechargeable lithium battery easily lasts a complete weekend with two students and no recharging. Of course this product has many other shortcomings — annoying half-duplex operation, flimsy headset construction (fixable with some effort), etc. — but it does at least demonstrate the feasibility of a super compact unit that has plenty of battery power for a weekend.

Neil

My Cars
    1988 Alpine White E30 M3
    Thanks Neil for the great review. Great timing on the post and subsequently your access to the comm system. Did you notice any type of feedback coming from the car with this system? I know the Chatterbox occasionally will have a lot of feedback that comes through even when I have it plugged into my IMSA connection on my helmet which sometimes makes it almost unusable depending on the car I am in.

Crisp audio quality is a must for me and I can overlook some of the design issues, however, the fact it uses a 9V battery is a deal breaker for me. I think I'll hold on to the Chatterbox for now and wait until version 2 of this device comes out before I pull the trigger.

Current Stable:
    2016 Cayman GT4
    1995 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow (NASA GTS2)
    1994 E36 325i (AER)
    1988 E30 M3 (Alpine White)

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    For comparison purposes, the current Chatterbox Tandem Pro 2 model with rechargeable lithium battery easily lasts a complete weekend with two students and no recharging. Of course this product has many other shortcomings — annoying half-duplex operation, flimsy headset construction (fixable with some effort), etc. — but it does at least demonstrate the feasibility of a super compact unit that has plenty of battery power for a weekend.

Neil

I'll add:

"Imbalanced audio between student and instructor...controlled by a single volume dial. The result is that one side will either be too loud - or too faint."

Thanks Chatterbox!

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by vchau76 View Post
    TDid you notice any type of feedback coming from the car with this system? I know the Chatterbox occasionally will have a lot of feedback that comes through even when I have it plugged into my IMSA connection on my helmet which sometimes makes it almost unusable depending on the car I am in.
    Very, very slight alternator whine in one of my student's E36 M3, but really not enough to mention. Nothing at all in the other car, an M2.

It was explained to me that without grounding the intercom to the car's chassis it's hard to eliminate the possibility that kind of interference. But again, if I hadn't been listening with a critical ear I wouldn't have noticed it at all.

I should add that I've never had feedback/interference problems with the Chatterbox either. Could yours be a symptom of cable damage? Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
    I'll add: "Imbalanced audio between student and instructor...controlled by a single volume dial. The result is that one side will either be too loud - or too faint."

Thanks Chatterbox!
    Oh yeah, and that!

Neil

My Cars
    14 m235i, 98 m3, 09 r56
    There is another option out there using a modified Peltor system. http://tachterion.us/products/rugged-radios/

I had the chance to use one of these last year when I had a pro driver coaching me at Mid-Ohio. The dual volume controls coupled with the full duplex make these both VERY appealing. At the time I was using the velcro attach helmet kit, and the quality was light years beyond the crappy chatterbox.

The HMS one wins on price a little.

I'm not wild about the 9v battery thing either, but the better functionality wins for me. I need to decide which to buy.