Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pittsburgh BMW following?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    haha sounds good. we can open the stock muffler and modify it too you know that way itll sound better not just crazy loud and you should keep your torque.

There a cool product you can pour on the studs in the head to dissolve them out if they get stuck, but the engine needs to be out of the car for that so its a catch 22. I would have used it if I know about it before.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    I thought that was a myth that you loose torque. I see it argued both ways here on the forums, so I have no clue.

If I'm just swapping headers, do I need to remove the studs?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    You will lose low end torque for sure without a muffler.

For headers - you don’t have to remove the studs but sometimes they come out which is also fine...but mine all snapped off. It sucked.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Damnit. I really want the Corsa exhaust but, the price tag is definitely not worth it. I want to do full exhaust with a track pipe then. I was thinking between the Manzo or Schmeidmann headers, track pipe from where ever, and getting my hands on either a used Corsa or UUC cat back.

You recommend any headers?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Honestly, the tubular shortys that are stock on the 96+S52 are good. You can then run the dual oem midpipe and a meffler of choice. You have the M50 in there right?.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Yes I do.

I'm attracted to these headers cause they're under $300, so I figured why not and I like the sound of the track pipes. Whatever I do with the set up, I want to be able to easily swap out the mid pipe so I can put in the oem cats to pass emissions.

Off topic but, did you hear anything about PA changing the laws that obd1 cars now have to pass obd2 emissions if you drive over 5,000 miles a year?

Mike at McB was saying something about it, but I'm not sure if I heard him wrong or something?
    Last edited by WELSCH325i; 12-08-2017 at 10:15 AM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Ya 300 is decent for headers and look into a high flow cat too so you don’t have to switch every year.

I didnt hear about the standards changing. I don’t think obd2 protocol is supported on obd1?

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Is there a brand of high flo cats you know of or recommend?

This is probably a better option considering there might be some customization work needed to fit everything together.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Those HJS are what Supersprint use but they’re $$$$ - Ebay has decent options I’m sure. That’s what I will be using. Ebay metallic

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Hey, how was your winter? Hopefully your M3's not giving you too many headaches. I've been following your build thread and it keeps getting better.

I had a question though, I decided to get the Raceland headers (when i decide to tackle this job) cause they're cheap and just mate them to the stock midpipe. So my question is, How much of a bitch would it be to connect the raceland headers to the stock midpipe?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Have a photo or two? Eveythings good here, been making swap exhausts!

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Haven't bought them yet. I just wanted to make sure that this little job wouldn't be a waste of time. I figured you were the man to talk to about exhaust modifications, ha.

My Cars
    Mulitiple
    Hello,
    I was reading through this thread looking for some info on dynojet dynamometers in the Pittsburgh area.
    Where is TPG?
    Is it true that Wolfpack Speed is permanently closed?
    Has anybody worked with Domin8 Tuning up near Economy Borough?
    Any other recommendations?
    I am not looking for tuning capabilities. I just need a dynojet for NASA Time Trial rules compliance and classing my car.
    Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Tpg is on the way to Indiana kinda. What part of the city are you in? Wolfpack sucked. I’m going to offer him money for his dyno if he closed haha

and it wouldn’t be hard to do that header connection. It’s all just metal haha. Now, getting the racelands to fit is another story!
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 05-07-2018 at 12:55 PM.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    I apologize if I sound like an idiot, I don't do fabrication at all. I wanted to do a removable connection and not just straight up weld them together.

Are the Raceland's that much of a pain in the ass to fit on? You have experience with them?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    No man it’s all good. We can get v bands for like 15 bucks on eBay. As for racelands - I’ve read* there have been fitment issues. But you won’t know until you start the install, which sucks haha

My Cars
    Mulitiple
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Tpg is on the way to Indiana kinda. What part of the city are you in? Wolfpack sucked. I’m going to offer him money for his dyno if he closed haha
    N/A
    Last edited by jhott66; 09-08-2023 at 06:34 AM.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    No man it’s all good. We can get v bands for like 15 bucks on eBay. As for racelands - I’ve read* there have been fitment issues. But you won’t know until you start the install, which sucks haha
    So it's like rolling the dice haha. I'll do a little more research and make a decision from there. I believe they have a lifetime warranty so they can't be all that bad.

If I do get these, could I tackle it by myself or should I get help?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    SoThe whole reason I had to do on S 54 swap is because I sheared off more than half of my header studs on the M52. I suggest starting to PB blaster them now and figure a way to get a wire wheel in there. Because they will snap off and once that happens you have to pull the motor to fix it

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    So in other words, just leave it alone. I'd really love to get those cast iron manifolds off, but if it could cost me a good bit of money then I'll wait.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    I’m making an exhaust right now on a 95 with eBay headers. Dude cut the short side way off because it went right into the cross memeber. $500 he’s getting a mild steel, into a single 2.5 with dual tips. If you can get a used set, I’d prob do that. Then you know they fit.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    I'm thinking of ordering Schmiedmann headers. They also make a center section with high flow cats and cat backs as well. The headers seem well made and they're only $200. But the downside is that they're located in Denmark and it cost almost $90 get them shipped here. I'm going to contact them and get confirmation that they are a direct fit first before I order anything.

This is the site:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...-pg878-catn-ol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12