Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with NCS Expert; recoding VIN into replacement gauge cluster

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6

Need help with NCS Expert; recoding VIN into replacement gauge cluster

Hello all,

I have a 2002 BMW 530i. Straight to the point, I replaced my faulty gauge cluster with one from a 2001 BMW 540i. The ONLY thing I am focusing on is changing the VIN in the LCM with NCS Expert. I have the full suite of software minus PA Soft 1.4.0 (with the cable), which means I have INPA/EDIABAS, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Progman/SSS, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

I'm having a hard time finding threads that say specifically how to recode the VIN in the replacement cluster to remove the tamper dot (actual step-by-step instructions that leave nothing out). Just when I think I found a viable thread, it carries on with instructions on how to do something else, or are vague and not really the actual answer.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction so that I could get this taken care of by the weekend? I'm still going to order PA Soft 1.4.0 with the cable but it'll take over a week to get to me and I want to get this done ASAP. Plus, I was told NCS Expert can let me change the VIN to remove the dot.

Side note: I read on a few threads that WinKFP can also do it but I always get a blank ECU family in the list and there's not many instructions I could find on how to populate that list. Even directions on "go to this folder" does not work at all, so trying to just keep it to NCS Expert for now.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    In short, you cannot change the VIN on a used cluster with PA Soft or NCS Expert. Both are excellent softwares, but the cluster is specifically designed to prevent this. The VIN and mileage are written to a special tamper resistant EEPROM chip in the cluster. You will need to disassemble the cluster and use a chip programmer to manually change the VIN and mileage. Some chips can be programmed on the board with a test clip, while others must be removed from the board for programming.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Odd, when I read on the threads, they said it's the odometer that cannot be changed but the VIN can, just to remove the tamper dot and turn off the DSC light. That's my only goal is to remove the dot, I'm not worried about the mileage for now.
    Last edited by ChilliBeef; 03-24-2017 at 03:13 PM.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Yes, I did come across that thread before but he also talks about using PA Soft, and only at the end did he say that it's possible that it could be done with NCS Expert but doesn't know how. Everywhere else I look, people have been saying that the VIN can be changed without an EEPROM change just to remove the tamper light, IIRC. The mileage, obviously one needs the programmer, which I'm considering getting, actually.

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Ive never found a way to change the vin in NCS expert. I would think if any could do it it would be tool32.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    You can issue the FGNR SCHREIBEN command to write the VIN in NCS Expert, but you will get an error. The VIN and mileage addresses of the EEPROM are write protected. People see the options to change the VIN and mileage in PA Soft or NCS and assume that it can be done. It will work on a blank EEPROM, but not one that has already been written.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    You should be able to re-write the VIN, that part of the chip isn't protected, but you would need a suitable programmer or test clip.
    The VIN will be the short 7 digit VIN, and it should be in ASCII, so it'll be pretty obvious when you see it as it'll probably be the usual 2 letters / 5 digits format and there won't be much else matching a pattern like that.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    You can issue the FGNR SCHREIBEN command to write the VIN in NCS Expert, but you will get an error. The VIN and mileage addresses of the EEPROM are write protected. People see the options to change the VIN and mileage in PA Soft or NCS and assume that it can be done. It will work on a blank EEPROM, but not one that has already been written.
    I'm guessing the ones who had success were the ones who owned Pre-'02 cars. However, the cluster is from an '01 (09/00) 540i, so is it the year of the whole car itself or the cluster that affects that?

Quote Originally Posted by enda320 View Post
    You should be able to re-write the VIN, that part of the chip isn't protected, but you would need a suitable programmer or test clip.
    The VIN will be the short 7 digit VIN, and it should be in ASCII, so it'll be pretty obvious when you see it as it'll probably be the usual 2 letters / 5 digits format and there won't be much else matching a pattern like that.
    Would this be found in NEODATA or FSW_PSW.TRC? I'm willing to give it a shot, just to see if I have a slim chance.

However, it is looking more and more that I'd be better off getting a new cluster from the dealer.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    I don't think you'll see it in Nettodat, you would need a suitable eeprom reader, and there's a good chance you'd need to unsolder the eeprom from the PCB to read it correctly.

New cluster would cost a lot, but search for someone who does "mileage correction" as they'd have the right gear for editing the data

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    I'll possibly do that, as a new cluster would cost me $850. I mean, I can afford that, and at least I have the tools (I assume) to code in a new cluster, but if I can avoid it, obviously that'd be stellar. I don't know why people are focusing on me wanting to change the mileage, it's only the VIN I want to change so that I can remove the tamper dot and the always-on DSC light.
    Last edited by ChilliBeef; 03-25-2017 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Why would you think that leaving the mileage unmatched to LCM will remove the tamper dot?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Because all other threads I've read up about all of this said that the tamper dot comes on when the system notices that the VINs do not match.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Change the VIN in the LCM to match the dash, and the tamper dot will go.
    In some cases, I believe you can code the tamper dot to stay off too.

PA Soft will change the LCM VIN nice and easy.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Yeah, I haven't had any luck with NCS Expert or even WinKfp, so I'll have to wait for my order of the PA Soft cable to come in. I've read that it's a really nice piece of software. On a side note, do you know where I can find a real download of BMW Coding Tool 2.50? I've either found it on a forum I can't get fully registered or any download links really turn out to be BMW Simple Software 2.12 which I already have.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I sent you a mega link

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Update 3/29/2017: My order of PA Soft 1.40 and the cable came in so I spent some time attempting to recode the replacement cluster's VIN so I could remove the tamper dot. Unfortunately, none of the instructions out there on any sort of related thread were of any help and I was not able to change the VIN.

This is what I have learned so far: The replacement cluster that came out of a 2001 (09/2000) BMW 540i has the older EEPROM chip. I believe this to be true because in one of the threads, it was mentioned that the older chip has a particular range of hexadecimal (goes up to 01FF, I believe) whereas the newer chip goes up to a higher range (03FF, I think). Since the hex editor in PA Soft showed that the range stopped at 01FF, I am under the impression that I could easily change the VIN in the cluster.

Unfortunately, I could not. Seems none of the threads related to PA Soft were helpful; either they went into convoluted detail which included remove needles and calibrating gauges or they were vague and gave no real specific, clear step-by-step instructions on doing just one particular thing. I've even used guides on how to work PA Soft, hoping something would help, but nothing has.

So, this is my situation:
    I have a 2002 BMW 530i.
    Its gauge cluster was fucked.
    Took gauge cluster from my old 2001 (build date 09/2000) BMW 540i.
    BMW 540i's cluster has lower mileage and (obviously) different VIN. It also apparently has the older EEPROM chip in it.
    I have a tamper dot. Research has told me the tamper dot comes on only when the VIN in the IKE does not match the VIN in the LCM and some other modules.
    Also, my DSC light is on which means my stability control is deactivated, because of the VIN difference.
    I want to change ONLY the VIN so that they match.
    (I have to repeat myself because I know some people gloss over what I primarily want to do and still want to bring up mileage discrepancy. [Do not worry about the mileage, I will worry about that for another day].)
    How do I use (step-by-step instructions are what I need) PA Soft to change the VIN so they can match and I can get rid of the tamper dot and the DSC light?

I think I included everything pertinent, but if I haven't, let me know so I can edit the post with all necessary information. I appreciate any help I can get that is useful.

My Cars
    f20
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliBeef View Post
    Hello all,

I have a 2002 BMW 530i. Straight to the point, I replaced my faulty gauge cluster with one from a 2001 BMW 540i. The ONLY thing I am focusing on is changing the VIN in the LCM with NCS Expert. I have the full suite of software minus PA Soft 1.4.0 (with the cable), which means I have INPA/EDIABAS, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Progman/SSS, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

I'm having a hard time finding threads that say specifically how to recode the VIN in the replacement cluster to remove the tamper dot (actual step-by-step instructions that leave nothing out). Just when I think I found a viable thread, it carries on with instructions on how to do something else, or are vague and not really the actual answer.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction so that I could get this taken care of by the weekend? I'm still going to order PA Soft 1.4.0 with the cable but it'll take over a week to get to me and I want to get this done ASAP. Plus, I was told NCS Expert can let me change the VIN to remove the dot.

Side note: I read on a few threads that WinKFP can also do it but I always get a blank ECU family in the list and there's not many instructions I could find on how to populate that list. Even directions on "go to this folder" does not work at all, so trying to just keep it to NCS Expert for now.
    You need read eeprom m35080 in cluster and write new vin. After codding with ncs

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    DSC Light - just re-do the steering angle sensor, and it'll sort that out

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    If all you want is to get rid of the tamper dot then just change the vin in the LCM(using PA soft) to match the new clusters.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Thank you, enda and legoman, for the insight. Yes, it dawned on me later that people were probably talking about the LCM having its VIN changed to the one in the IKE. However, I've already went ahead and bought a new instrument cluster from the dealership, so once it gets here, I'm hoping it's just a simple plug-in-play with minor coding needed to get it up to snuff.

Also with the steering angle sensor, how do I "redo" that exactly? I assume there's a function in PA Soft that'll make it an easy process?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Can you get the coding plug out of your old cluster? If so, pop it into the new (replacement) one and re-install.

I bought a brand-new (when they were available) E36 M3 cluster for my car due to intermittent issues with used ones. Dealer could not code it. I swapped in another 96+ coding plug and everything magically started working but I have the red dot because the VINs do not match.

If you use your VIN matching coding plug, it should be perfect.
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    Can you get the coding plug out of your old cluster? If so, pop it into the new (replacement) one and re-install.

I bought a brand-new (when they were available) E36 M3 cluster for my car due to intermittent issues with used ones. Dealer could not code it. I swapped in another 96+ coding plug and everything magically started working but I have the red dot because the VINs do not match.

If you use your VIN matching coding plug, it should be perfect.
    I am not entirely sure what you mean by a coding plug. You mean the EEPROM chip that's soldered to the board? Either way, I cannot as I up my old cluster when removing the needles. Another reason why I bought a new cluster.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-01-2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    The E36 cluster has a small rectangular bump on it. You break that open and under it is a coding plug that plugs into the board. Gently pry out with a screwdriver.

Do the same on your "new" cluster and pop the "bad" cluster plug (that is already coded to your car) in the "new" cluster.

It's not an EPROM chip, or if it is, it is not in the standard configuration. It is (from memory) 1/2" X 1" or so, has a blue and white end exposed once the cover is busted off. Hang on...

On the left side in this photo above. The white rectangle with the blue pain blob in the middle. That's the coding plug. Break the plastic ring (or take it all apart) and pop it out. Place it in your "new" cluster. Obviously battery is disconnected for all this operation but once back together and powered up, the DME doesn't know it's a different cluster- it thinks it's the same one that's been in there.

They have to be compatible clusters obviously. I wouldn't for instance put a '95 cluster coding plug into a '96+ cluster...
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    It's a DIP8 93c46 chip. Same type as on the dash PCB, but in a bigger size, and fitted into a plastic holder.

This is how I read one by soldering wires to each pin and into a universal programmer socket!

Giftschrank Projekt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast