Thread: Installed Rebuilt N62 in my 545i...200+ miles, now series of error codes.

My Cars
    2005 545i, 2008 Jeep SRT

Installed Rebuilt N62 in my 545i...200+ miles, now series of error codes.

Have a 2005 545i with 165K. A couple months ago, the bank 2 timing chain jumped off the cam sprockets and started sawing into the head shooting metal all over the motor. Pulled the motor, found a used motor with 91K. Tore motor down, resealed everything, installed, and has been running great for about 200 miles. This morning on my way to work on the tollway, I get a CEL with a message "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power"...or something. I pulled over, pulled out the code reader and found the following:

2A61 Valvetronic, adjustment range
    2E95 Alternator
    2E8B Intelligent battery sensor, signal
    2D0F Air-mass sensor, signal
    2A6B Valvetronic, power limitation
    2E9F Oil condition sensor

I'm finding it hard to believe that all that stuff is bad...Alternator is brand new with install. The battery however...well, I pulled the positive terminal and let it sit for ~2+ months while I worked on the motor(s) and since I had the car for 3 years, I haven't changed the battery.

I cleared out all those codes, but there were two (2) that won't clear (car was not running, just in accessory position):

The upside, if there is one, is that the car ran absolutely NO DIFFERENT. I drove 25+ miles into work with no issues at 60+ mph with stop lights and all and didn't experience any idle issues.

Anyone had this series of codes before or can give opinions on what could be causing this?
    Last edited by Pitster; 03-24-2017 at 07:13 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    This is what is setting the code:http://www.bimmerscan.com/bmw-intell...ry-sensor-ibs/
    The battery condition is suspect.
    Remove battery-hook it up to real battery charger(not tender) on slow charge, overnight. Morning, install battery,check voltages.
    Make sure battery connections are clean and snug.

My Cars
    2005 545i, 2008 Jeep SRT
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    This is what is setting the code:http://www.bimmerscan.com/bmw-intell...ry-sensor-ibs/
    Remove battery-hook it up to real battery charger(not tender) on slow charge, overnight. Morning, install battery,check voltages.
    Will do and THANKS! I have a sneaky suspicion that this is the original battery from 2005...

My Cars
    2005 545i, 2008 Jeep SRT
    Took the battery out and put it on a charger by itself. I noticed that after the 1 hour drive home, the battery was reading 75% capacity on the charger when first hooked up. Slow charge all night to find it at 100% in the AM. Wire brushed the contacts and re-installed. Drove only a few miles and did some work replacing a new coolant reservoir, then ran car for a bit testing for coolant leaks...the entire time, no alarms.

Sure enough today, on the same on ramp, in the same place, the alarm came on again, and again, the car ran fine all the way to work with plenty of power going 80+ on the tollway.

I don't know, after all the work of pulling out the old motor and rebuilding a lower mileage N62, then installing it where it's running smooth and strong, it just plain annoying now.

It almost seems like it's a loose wire that when I take a turn, there is a connection somewhere (alternator maybe) that gets interrupted long enough for this error.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If you haven't done so, clear the codes, see which new ones reappear.

My Cars
    2005 545i, 2008 Jeep SRT
    If you haven't done so, clear the codes, see which new ones reappear.

Have the code reader with me just for this kind of thing since it was an engine swap and I'm expecting some bugs to be ironed out. It's the same series of codes. The weird thing is though, when I clear the codes out, the same two that WON'T clear out are:

However, when I start the car, the actual CEL doesn't come on. Like right now, I drove across the site I work at and no CEL's are present, however, if I open up the code reader, it will still show those errors.

Since that IBS seems to be at the root, I wonder if I need to code the battery to the car since I did pull both terminals off while the car sat for 2 months when rebuilding the engine, even if it's the same battery (maybe it needs to be told anyway what power battery it is?).

The "good" thing is that the car drives beautifully...

My Cars
    2001 5301 5spd with BBS
    Hi Pitster did you ever fix your problem. I have similar codes but battery is only a year old.

My Cars
    03' 540i, 05' 545i
    Sorry to necropost, but I had the above happen to an engine I am working on (timing chain jumping off sprockets}. He elected to pull the engine due to the tiny metal pieces. Would it be foolhardy to just reset the timing and replace the tensioners?

My Cars
    BMW 118i Automatic 2006
    Just wondering if the 2A61 error was ever resolved. It can be cleared by the way by first resetting adaptations with INPA and then relearning VVT end stops again with INPA. Then the 2A61 can be cleared. The trouble I have is that it keeps coming back every two weeks or so, always with the same error data. My VVT motor is only a year old and car (118i 2006 Auto) drives fantastically well for the two weeks until the 2A61 pops up and VVT operation gets disabled. Thanks in advance. Steve.