Thread: removing water from under carpet

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

removing water from under carpet

Rigged up a HF fan and some dryer hose to get a steady blast of air. Propped up carpet and blew it between the pad and the steel floor.
    Actually works pretty fast. it was soaked. after about 1 day running 95% of water was gone. (seat out) Tim
    cobradevice.jpg

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    You have a few DSC sensors sitting right there. Not a good place to store water
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    Yeah- Youre tellin me ! Seems like those sensors are like 1000$ Don't want any more stinking water under there......
    How come somebody doesn't make a plastic tray to bolt on the floor under the seat just to catch water. (with a lip around the edges
    and sealed at the seat holes) like something weathertech makes. maybe even have a drain tube that goes through the floor to outside.
    Will look to see if weathertech makes one and if it goes under seat as well as foot area.

Tim

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
    Yeah- Youre tellin me ! Seems like those sensors are like 1000$ Don't want any more stinking water under there......
    How come somebody doesn't make a plastic tray to bolt on the floor under the seat just to catch water. (with a lip around the edges
    and sealed at the seat holes) like something weathertech makes. maybe even have a drain tube that goes through the floor to outside.
    Will look to see if weathertech makes one and if it goes under seat as well as foot area.

Tim
    It'd be easier to find/fix where the water is leaking in. While I have worked on cars that had previously leaked water in__a coupe that a bodyshop crook left the auto-drop window functions disconnected comes immediately to mind__given proper maintenance, they don't leak much, if at all. I've had a '99 and an '01 since 11/00 and 08/01 respectively, and their floors have never been wet.

My '57 Austin-Healey, on the other hand...

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
    ... How come somebody doesn't make a plastic tray to bolt on the floor under the seat just to catch water. (with a lip around the edges and sealed at the seat holes) like something weathertech makes. maybe even have a drain tube that goes through the floor to outside...
    Because the water from no leaks would drip into a tray under the seat. Some leaks might drip onto a Weathertech floor liner in the foot well. But most leaks travel into the carpet along the metal body underneath.
    Drip leaks:
    - A-pillar (might drip onto WT floor liner)
    - Elephant nose (drips onto console carpet)
    - AC drain (drips onto console carpet)
    Leaks that saturate from below:
    - Door membrane
    - Convertible top sealing frame
    Last edited by Vintage42; 03-25-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    It is inside the shop on jack stands at the moment. The water leak problem is just another problem to be de-bugged. Summer rains will be on us before I know it.
    I was aware that most (or at least half) of the water leak modes are ones where the water snakes its way in behind door panels and through the bottom sills, ect.
    Will get to that problem shortly-----
    Have to try making an elephant nose un-clogger out of some Eastman plastic tube and an air gun. So I can fish it down the nostrils......

Tim