Thread: 325ci clear liquid leak

My Cars
    325 ci

325ci clear liquid leak

Driving it and the battery light came on, then the power steering went out, then parked it and what I thought was steam came rolling out under the car. It ended up being a large puddle of a clear liquid?? The car did over heat. Water pump??

My Cars
    05 330i
    It definitely sounds like it could have been a water pump failure. Because if it seizes it wouldn't be able to turn the belt to power steering or alternator.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    z3
    Its impossible to tell what failed, but it must have been something in the cooling system. It also should NOT have been clear. It should be green or blue due to the presence of antifreeze which serves not only to keep the coolant from freezing as the name implies but also to prevent chemical degradation (rust, limescale buildup, etc...).

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    325 ci
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Its impossible to tell what failed, but it must have been something in the cooling system. It also should NOT have been clear. It should be green or blue due to the presence of antifreeze which serves not only to keep the coolant from freezing as the name implies but also to prevent chemical degradation (rust, limescale buildup, etc...).
    Thanks for the input! The liquid is clear. It's got a lubricant feel to it also. It's not engine oil or power steering fluid.
    The engine about 6 months ago had a whine... almost like a turbine sound to it. All of a sudden it stopped making that sound. Then yesterday (after car sat in garage for 2 months) I ran around neighborhood to charge battery and battery light came on, lost power steering and when I parked it the temperature climbed. I shut the car down and steam lifted from the car. I assumed the liquid was water until I let it cool, went out and noticed the lubricant feel to it. I'm going to start breaking it down to check where the leak may be coming from. Expecting to replace pump.
    I'm very novice but have some mechanical experience. This is my "fun" car, so I'd like to work on it myself. Thanks for any other input also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    325 ci
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    It definitely sounds like it could have been a water pump failure. Because if it seizes it wouldn't be able to turn the belt to power steering or alternator.
    Thank you... yes, I think it has to. I'm going to start breaking it down and see. Stay tuned and wish me luck!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    May I?.....Oil does not steam...Water only does. I'm new to BMW, very new, but not new to German mechanical maintenance. I have been researching lately the pitfalls of the 325IX three series because I just bought a used 325ix wagon a week ago with 116k miles. I found after researching that water pump, cooling system hoses require 60K replacement..or should....and that expansion tank reservoirs have a premature failure rate..and are NOT an uncommon report for failure in our 3 series. My new 'used' 3, I will be installing all new cooling system parts (by me) before I register, insure, and drive the car..hopefully within the next couple of weeks......
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 03-24-2017 at 04:17 PM.

My Cars
    325 ci
    So... the idler pulley completely fell off (that must have been the whining noise) once I got the front end tore out I found it laying in the shroud.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Wow, you must have posted without even first doing a visual inspection. Where was the belt once you did the visual inspection? Wrapped about a pulley or just hanging there? In any case, I'd suggest that you check everything. Check the fan to make sure that it wasn't damaged when the belt broke lose. Check all of the hoses, etc. I'm gonna guess that a cooling system over haul hasn't been done, so I'd also suggest that you check the other two pulleys as well, that is, if you know what to look for. If not, take it to someone who does.

My Cars
    325 ci
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Wow, you must have posted without even first doing a visual inspection. Where was the belt once you did the visual inspection? Wrapped about a pulley or just hanging there? In any case, I'd suggest that you check everything. Check the fan to make sure that it wasn't damaged when the belt broke lose. Check all of the hoses, etc. I'm gonna guess that a cooling system over haul hasn't been done, so I'd also suggest that you check the other two pulleys as well, that is, if you know what to look for. If not, take it to someone who does.
    No... posted before I saw it. The belt was just laying there. I was pulling into driveway when it must have come off. Lucky! I had to order a tool to remove the fan. When I get it off I'll do a better inspection. I've had it 3 years. I really want to learn how to work on it myself. It's my hobby car.... not a daily
    I build houses... not cars! Lol
    Im replacing that one and the tension pulley

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Had to order a tool? I just used a run of the mill 1.25" open end wrench. It would do you good to do a complete cooling system refresh. I got a kit from bavauto and added the pulleys. Good to go. If you'd like, get a Stewart water pump and not have to worry about that for the foreseeable future.

I'd also suggest checking the ball joints and control arm bushings. Shocks, other suspension items.