Thread: Repair shop in NJ

My Cars
    2002 330i

Repair shop in NJ

I want to give others a heads up so they can avoid having the unfortunate experience I had. I don't like being taken advantage of and hope others can avoid it as well.

I had the misfortunate experience of using ZNM Auto / Performance in Pompton Lakes, NJ.

ZNM claimed (and charged me) to change parts on my car that they did not replace. In addition, they misdiagnosed a problem claiming my misfiring was due to my coils when in fact it was my spark plugs. They also left out bolts , including but not limited to, transmission bell housing bolts as well as cross member bolts. They supposedly re-built my engine and “changed all the seals” however within a few months the valve cover gasket was leaking and the rear main seal was leaking. This is just a sample (there is more but I think you get the idea) of the work (or lack of) performed by ZNM Auto.

Just trying to give a heads up to fellow enthusiasts.

My Cars
    09 e93 N54
    I was fortunate enough to pull my vehicle out before any work was done. The previous owner referred me to ZNM.

First encounter.. Paid @$300 for a prepurchase inspection. On the phone I was told my vehicle was 100% but was never provided any documentation of the inspection itself. No receipt. I called for weeks. I always got a different excuse.

I brought my vehicle in for a Service Engine Soon light. I decided to give them a second chance. I was told my turbos were blowing oil into the cats and that if I didn't replace them immediately, the cats would be fried and need to be replaced. I was told I had low boost codes along with a slew of other codes. I challenged that with my own code readings, of which my code reader was dismissed (I only found passenger mat sensor codes for the airbag and seatbelt, 2 convertible module codes and a non-turbo related engine code). Mat told me only his code reader would see the codes. He also told me not to go online to try and troubleshoot any of this myself. He also said my wastegates were rattling so bad that they were ready to blow the turbos. He then gave me a quote of close to $4k for replacing 2 stock turbos (2 OEM plus install kit plus $275 to have upgraded waste gates installed and labor). He also recommended an aftermarket chargepipe as, in his words, the BOV would help prevent future premature turbo issues and that he had a batch being made which I can purchase when available.

None of this made sense. I saw other complaints like yours, RaceCarRobbie, and then looked on the ZNM website to see if he was really charging $2200 for new OEM turbos. His online price was @$1300 for a set which was consistent with other sellers. And even though in conversation, he said never use Varga turbos, the wastegate upgrade appeared to be from Vargas (just a conflict in his story).

I made an excuse to pull my vehicle. It drove fine despite his stern warnings that I could blow the turbos and cats on the way home. A local foreign car repair shop who specializes in BMW and Mini could not find any low boost codes or anything wrong with my turbos.

I then went through the service records from the previous owners (they were provided as a condition to my purchasing the vehicle). I then found a service invoice/receipt for ZNM not able to find a rear tire air leak issue and an issue with the vehicle intermittently jerking forward if in drive but sitting with the brake on. I found out I had these issues a week into ownership of the vehicle. I would not say the vehicle was 100% with these noted issues. And as a side note, the seller said ZNM owner, Mat, was his best friend. Recently I found the previous owner conned me out of labor for a fuel pump replacement as he said the BMW extended HPFP warranty did not cover 2009. He said he would cover the repair prior to purchase, but wanted me to split the cost with him with me covering the labor. That is a different issue though, but the work was supposedly done at ZNM.