Thread: Wanting to buy ***** android radio, need your opinions!!!

My Cars
    BMW 04 325ci COUPE

Wanting to buy ***** android radio, need your opinions!!!

Has anyone here installed this type of radio before? Is is good? Will it last? I've read it tends to go black/white screen after some usage (don't remember where i read that). I just want to make sure I'm making a good deal. I will also need an A/C re-locator right (what's the difference between 5 switch lower panel and single switch)? Let me know what you guys think about having this one installed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182464654125...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    The question you are asking is too vague. Who makes the head unit?

My Cars
    BMW 04 325ci COUPE
    ***** , EONONN brand it would not let me type in the brand name not sure why. Been having a lot of mixed reviews and that it's a 50/50 chance of it being a good head unit and some say there tends to be problems sometimes. I am looking for reasonable prices on head units of any kind that has lasted for a while for people.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

My Cars
    2003 330i, GM trans
    Quote Originally Posted by maldm95 View Post
    Has anyone here installed this type of radio before? Its is good? Will it last? I've read it tends to go black/white screen after some usage (don't remember where i read that). I just want to make sure I'm making a good deal. I will also need an A/C re-locator right (what's the difference between 5 switch lower panel and single switch)? Let me know what you guys think about having this one installed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182464654125...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    I have a lot of info for you. These units are all named MCU devices. Their are three different software for the MCU device, effectively making each unique to a point...

So, MCU is the main software where each device comes from. From there, they are sold with one of three software variants, MTB/C/D. Any company can buy these and put there brand on it to sell. ***** for example uses MTCB software, Xtrons uses MTCD. From there, each company that buys these for resell, names there own software additions. ***** uses the letters GA, xtrons gs. So ***** build number looks like this, MCU_MTCB_GA####. Any device you buy like these will be an MCU device, and if they use the software MTCB, like ***** does, it will be the exact same device ***** is selling, whatever the brand. I mean EXACTLY the same. The software after this is just the layout and superficial additions the company's use to make it look like its officially their own design. Its not.

The software variants are interesting to know about if you think you might be interested in modding the device with random software developers own software additions, like people who know how to code there own software to enable things like better wifi signals, having better controls for loading their own cell phone apns to making connecting to 4g possible on the 3g device, subwoofer controls, etc. That said, the MTCB/C software will be easier to get stuff for and ultimately allow you to fully mod your device with others that have confirmed these mods working. Now, the MTCD software, as with the company Xtrons, will not let you mod their devices very much passed what you get. For reasons like these, MTCB/C devices generally get updates sooner.

MCU head units are all made it china, whatever the brand. Since these devices are so far removed from the actual company that builds them, its important to research the company you are buying from. Do they accept returns for starters? If so, do you have to ship across seas, are you paying the return shipping? Is their customer service any good? Do they put out software's updates regularly? I suggest you email them all to see his each responds. And I believe this is important if you want to be happy with your purchase.

Your experience with any of these products will be determined by the answers to those questions.

If I were you, I'd purchase an older, bugs squashed, models, like the lollipop versions. They already have forums with many questions and answers already there for you. Currently, everyone is moving to marshmallow and there are bugs a plenty with them. It'll be at least a year from now before all/most bugs ate squashed. Bluetooth issues and WIFI issues namely. The GPS units that comes with these are very simple and proven in their design. They all work well. So look for people who have had no problems with their bluetooth and wifi. And try not to care about features too much because those are not always working, like start up times being faster than others, or steering wheel controls being able to re-map. Alot of BS passes here in the name of sales. You just want the damn thing to work.

If all these questions have been looked at before you make a purchase, you should be very happy with your unit.

I have an Xtrons marshmallow version. The company is good imo. But the bugs are there with WIFI and Bluetooth. It really makes the product kinda suck overall. If I didn't have these issues, I wouldn't need to talk with the company. I can say that in talking with them, they've been very good with replies and sharing concerns. But, I rather have a unit that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work like a normal android device. In hind sight, I would rather wait for ***** to come out with a 2gb Ram model. At least there software uses the open sourced MTC/B version. So, people fix the problems with these themselves rather than wait for an update. We get there work for free to flash over unto our devices over at XDA.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3246386

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    All you need to know is that these radios are so good, and they work so well with such great customer service that even their name has been banned from bf.c
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    I personally feel that a big problem wit these units is inferior hardware. I admit I haven't purchased one but the specs of the majority of these do put me off. I'm referring to cpu speed, RAM, etc. I personally opted to incorporate a nexus 7 tablet into my dash, which although old, seems to beat these units in terms of specs (at least when I was looking). I now have everything I need (phone calls, nav, music, speed camera warnings, obdII monitoring, etc etc) with no freezing or hiccups.

I imagine you want something quick and easy to install, and if so I'd go with a good brand name that has good customer support. You'll pay more up front for a brand name unit but like with any cheap bull-turd, you'll pay more in the long run replacing failing products.

Penis,
    Rob.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I was looking at getting one of the ***** units a few months ago. I did a lot of research. It took a few days of sifting through Google results but I found several threads where people did some fairly unbiased reviews. These were posted fairly soon after ***** came onto the market. One thread in particular took place over a 12 month time span. There were a few bugs with the units and ***** customer service helped them resolve the issues. After a few months there were reports of people getting damaged units or units that did not work at all. As the months passed the complaints increased and ***** customer service took longer and longer to respond. Eventually they stopped responding all together.

The big big drawing card for those units is they look almost 100% OEM when they're mounted in the dash. It's very hard to find any other units that fit that description. DYNAVIN certainly fits that bill and they are high quality but they cost $650-700. In the end I decided not to get the *****. They're not $700 but they're still around $300. I didn't like the fact they took a fairly long time to boot up when you turn them on. I didn't like the fact I could not find a single thread that said they were super pleased with their purchase. I tried to keep an open mind when I did my research. I understand even the best quality units can have a bad one once in a while.

I havent decided which head unit to get. I'm still trying to find one the looks at least a little OEM but they all seem to have that huge ugly knob in the middle of them. If you find any info that says the quality of those ***** units has improved please let me know. Let us all know. I'm keeping my money for now.

hmmm*****= E*O*N*O*N
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 05-22-2017 at 06:17 PM.