Thread: VACmotorsport m62 engine 600HP? Are you kidding?

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40

VACmotorsport m62 engine 600HP? Are you kidding?

I cannot imagine even how they abtain this power. Any idea?

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw...vac-p1448.aspx
    e39 540i 6speed Supercharged,
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    It's a race engine, they exceed 100hp/L N/A quite often. This engine would be completely unstreetable.

My guess on the mod list would be:
    Very aggressive cams
    Solid lifters/heavy springs
    Heavy intake, exhaust porting
    Slightly larger valves
    Headers
    It obviously has ITBs
    Incredibly high rev limit (which is where it makes the power)
    High compression Pistons
    Needs to run on +100 octane
    Possible stroked to 4.6 or 4.8

That's all pretty standard stuff for NA circuit motors. The important thing to remember with this, is that the motor probably makes low 300s ft lbs of torque, being non vanos and having cams for peak HP, and that it makes 600 horsepower most likely around +8500 RPM.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Yep, that was my thought. It's a race motor built to run on racing fuel. While it is cool to see that kind of power from an M62, a race motor isn't really practical for daily driving. Look at the E60 M5 with its F1 inspired engine, that thing is a maintenance nightmare because of how high it revs.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    e46 m3 6psd TIAG w/Imola
    I bet this sounds insane. Just like that v10 m5. When buying an engine like this I am sure money is no object.... Would love to see this in an e46 m3 or small chassis.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by sooch View Post
    I bet this sounds insane. Just like that v10 m5. When buying an engine like this I am sure money is no object.... Would love to see this in an e46 m3 or small chassis.
    Muh M3 GTR clone

must add straight cut gears

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I would just love to hear that motor scream by at 8000+ rpm.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Just realized I totally mis-read the title and it's the M62 engine ! I totally read it as the 'S62' and hence posting up about the Ascari.

Apologies !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 03-25-2017 at 03:27 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Remember they also built (several times) Simeon's Baby motor - Once before and once after the One Lap back when..

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Interesting fabrication of the cooling system.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You mean the intercooler for the SC? The radiator was stock, I believe it is now Zion tho...
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Look at the reservoir that looks like is attached to the s/c bracket.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Cool E38!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by dovlet View Post
    I cannot imagine even how they abtain this power. Any idea?

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/bmw...vac-p1448.aspx
    From the looks of it, it has a dry sump, probably won't be using the BMW DME either.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    It's the same engineering that brought Ferrari a 3.0L NA V12 producing +700hp in mid 2000s formula 1, just to a much lesser degree.i don't have torque figures on these engines, but I'm sure it's very low

--- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Thanks to everybody for inputs, now it is little bit clear. Also, I read on their web that some one bought it in USA and managed to achieve 1000 WHP. If so, what is the torque? As we know the main thing is torque to run fast. Any Idea Gents?
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    ~1200 bhp on an M62? Do you have a link? That's well into HP/L range of multi million dollar racing teams running cars that rev up to 18k. The re-engineering of an M62 at that point would probably cost much more than a purpose built engine. It would have to be severely destroked to even near that point NA, and the rest of the m62 doesn't not lend itself to high revs. While it is a relatively high revving engine for a production V8, the stroke is way to long (compare it to a Ferrari bore to stroke ratio), I can't imagine even the strongest forged connecting rods would last past 10k. Then you need to destroke. Short strokes do not mix air and fuel as well as long ones, and obviously you are losing displacement, so you need higher revs again to make up for it. At this point you will need custom heads because ported M62 heads won't have near enough flow. This is in addition to an already completely custom valve train, no aftermarket options will get you past 9-10k. Essentially, the only part of the engine you have left is the block.

The point being the limit of a NA M62 with already extreme modifications is around 650-700hp, I think I will be backed up on that

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Also, torque is most important from a standing start, when racing circuit tracks where the car is always in the 6k-9k range, that's where horsepower matters (and this doesn't mean peak at the limiter, it means an smooth curve in that range)

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Surely it has to be a turbocharged engine to make that amount of power. Pretty sure the cylinders were bored and then sleeved to handle a lot of boost.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    It's a race engine, they exceed 100hp/L N/A quite often. This engine would be completely unstreetable.
    Yeah. They've had that ITB M62 on display forever. If/when it was ever in a car for sure it has always appeard to me that it was only for a short time just to 'prove it could be done'... and all the other comments are spot on - it'd have been a total stand alone custom race motor. There's not much about that that would be BMW M62 in the end except the block and the heads. I've seen that motor in person on the stand at their shop and honestly it looks more like a bling bling display proof of concept than it does a real motor.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yeah. They've had that ITB M62 on display forever. If/when it was ever in a car for sure it has always appeard to me that it was only for a short time just to 'prove it could be done'... and all the other comments are spot on - it'd have been a total stand alone custom race motor. There's not much about that that would be BMW M62 in the end except the block and the heads. I've seen that motor in person on the stand at their shop and honestly it looks more like a bling bling display proof of concept than it does a real motor.
    Looks like, but if you will research their website they says that they have also results that it is giving more than 1000WHP on dyno with Supercharger 6psi. So, that means someone already bought it & tried, if they not lying us. Any way there is no many info regarding to this engine. Also price is not shown, may be that never been sold and no body tried that engine. And that is only on their words that it is able to produce 600HP. I am sure if some one will call them to ask price for that engine they will say about very expensive price (no concurrent cost in comparing with alternative engines) that no body could buy it.
    Last edited by dovlet; 03-27-2017 at 01:47 AM.