Thread: Engine malfunction- charge pressure too high

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible

Engine malfunction- charge pressure too high

Hi Guys,

Last month when I was driving my 335i (2011 with 77k miles 6spd manual), suddenly engine malfunction light came up and went into limp mode. I was almost st 120 mph. Restarted the car and the warning went off.
    To check whether it was some kind of temporary glitch I floored it again and past 100 the warning again came up. Restarted the car and problem went off. Every time I was in 6th gear without AC.
    Car is still under warranty so went to dealer and they related MAF sensor and pressure sensor ( not sure what that is ).
    Today I was driving at 60 mph at 6th gear and floored it- once it reached 90 the warning suddenly came up. Within this 1 month I floored it several times beyond 5k rpm and never got this light.
    Today I plugged in obd2 adaptor and with carly I found 2 codes.
    Attached the screen shot. It's related to charge pressure control -too high.
    Anyone experienced this before ?
    I have done walnut blasting last week and car is stock with only add on BMW performance kit.

Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    So the dealer diagnosed the car.
    They found the code for actuator flap circuit open as I removed the connector. But later I reconnected while giving for service and I guess that never cleared that code automatically.
    Anyways, they said nothing wrong with the car. The malfunction could have been due to the actuator valve not operating as I removed the connector. I did not buy in that argument but again I am not the expert. So I said I will take my car back and monitor.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 435i xDrive 6MT
    The exhaust flap will not set the check engine light on the dash. Mine has been unplugged for years. Your issue is definitely caused by something else.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Its been over a month now and the issue never reappeared. Drove the car in almost all possible ways and all seems ok. After every trip, I fall in love with it again and again.
    Right now the exhaust flap line is unplugged and running perfect without that annoying flap closing/opening noise.
    People often complaint about droning at freeways. I wonder why. My trips are always around 1500 miles and never felt any extra noise due to that golf tee mod. Besides the music is always on and we needed a little more exhaust sound.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    So it came up again. 3 times actually.
    Dealer replaced the charged pipe last time. I am not sure what's going on. But I have observed the pattern. It happens when the car is under load ( A.C. on, two passengers and luggage ). Every time I accelerate a little hard in 6th gear, it comes up. I generally downshift and then accelerate in those situations but when I don't do It, the warning comes up and upon restart it works fine. Is it a normal behaviour ?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    BMW suggests the following checks for that overboost condition.
    - Check wiring harness between DME and charging pressure sensor.
    - Renew charging pressure sensor.
    - Determine whether Wastgate valve is sticking closed.
    - Check Wastegate valve pressure converter.
    - Check vacuum line and vacuum.

The last two are your best bets. On the turbo side of the motor you have the "pressure converter," more commonly known as the boost solenoid or wastegate solenoid. That little diaphragm valve gets cooked by the heat in that area, and it can cause overboost or underboost conditions (often without showing codes). Aside from ocassional overboost/underboost codes, failure is really hard to detect. I would bet some fresh vacuum lines and a new boost solenoid fixes your issue.
    My 2009 335i felt slow and sounded kinda loud at idle, but showed no codes in ISTA. Turns out my boost solenoid was leaking vacuum, so wastegates stayed open and the car made zero boost.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    BMW suggests the following checks for that overboost condition.
    - Check wiring harness between DME and charging pressure sensor.
    - Renew charging pressure sensor.
    - Determine whether Wastgate valve is sticking closed.
    - Check Wastegate valve pressure converter.
    - Check vacuum line and vacuum.

The last two are your best bets. On the turbo side of the motor you have the "pressure converter," more commonly known as the boost solenoid or wastegate solenoid. That little diaphragm valve gets cooked by the heat in that area, and it can cause overboost or underboost conditions (often without showing codes). Aside from ocassional overboost/underboost codes, failure is really hard to detect. I would bet some fresh vacuum lines and a new boost solenoid fixes your issue.
    My 2009 335i felt slow and sounded kinda loud at idle, but showed no codes in ISTA. Turns out my boost solenoid was leaking vacuum, so wastegates stayed open and the car made zero boost.
    Hi,
    Dealer checked for the vacuum leaks and did not find any. They just replaced the charge pipe and also replaced pressure sensor and MAF.
    It was running ok for few weeks and then when I WOT at 6th gear with A.C on a mountain road ( climbing)- it went to limp mode. I know 6th gear (at 60 mph) was not the ideal choice of gear for WOT while climbing but not sure if that will cause limp mode.

Recently what I noticed is - past 4000 rpm, I feel a kick back and engine kind of hesitates to go further. Last time I got a misfire and replaced all of the coil packs ( they were due anyways at 90k miles ). It helped but still past 4000 rpm it's not smooth. I mean, I am scared to go to 6000.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk