Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Picked up a Z4...

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    I was told to avoid the SMG? I like my automatic with 'Sport Shift' but I'd prefer the manual but they are a bit more than my budget in the used market.
    When I was on the market, my main concern was getting a Z that had really low mileage and was in the best condition I could find. I thought I wanted an Automatic, because I spent the past 15 years in a Manual transmission, and my commute to and from work has just become hell up and down the highway. There were rare times, where I would spend 30 extra minutes in stop and go traffic on the highway. That convinced me I wanted my next car to be auto. However while shopping for the Z, I would of been more than willing to accept another manual, if it meant I was getting low miles and good condition.

There were two low miles Z's on the market the week my wife and I decided to pull the trigger. I wish I could of waited longer, but the civic was on it's last leg and we just wanted to off load it. The one in PA was the silver color, manual, with the Nav system. The one in VA was the gunmetal color, Auto, no nav. Both were asking $12,000. I first called in for the gunmetal and just got a bad vibe from the sales guy, telling me the $12k was very firm, and I don't like to talk price on the phone, so I just ended the call and moved on. We spent the next day picking up an RX-8 for my wife (that was the deal to get my Z4.) So by the third day, when I called about the silver Z4 in PA someone (dblcrona) had already purchased it. That was lame, so I called back on the gunmetal told the guy I was coming down to inspect the car and haggle, drove down and walked away with it for $11k.

When I bought the Z4, I didn't really know what a SMG was or even DCT. I knew of course, that technology in Automatic transmissions has advanced over the years, and I knew all top track cars were automatic with "paddles". I forget what it was that made me think I had the SMG, but shortly after the purchase I saw SMG on something, started googling it, learning about SMG I, SMG II, DCT's, ect ect. and I just immediately just accepted it as my saving grace for owning an automatic. Like, yes it's an Auto, but at least it's one of those new fangled auto's, so I can pretend I planned it this way.

Now I just feel like a moron, and I really want a DCT. THANKS BIMMERBREAKER.

Sorry CD, really going offtopic on your thread.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    I guess I need to reiterate my disbelief on how this can happen to a 10yr old coil spring?!
    Debating on writing BMWoUSA an email asking them if there is a recall for this because this is ludicrous.
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg

The passenger side old one was in much better nick the this one.
    Oh, and I picked up 5-6mm on the broken side so it's nice an level now.
    Dean
    Last edited by cdsweet; 06-05-2017 at 09:45 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Was a pretty common problem, mostly affected earlier years but obviously later years are not completely exempt from the issue.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Was a pretty common problem, mostly affected earlier years but obviously later years are not completely exempt from the issue.
    Common, eh? I called BMW of America and was told that they have zero documentation on any E85 having busted coil springs?! I talked to him for a bit about how the internet seems to negate this and could not imagine how BMW would not cover these types of issues. I have only seen busted springs twice and that was back in the 90's with my dads old GM big SUV's and they were scored and rusted. These are fracture type failures meaning they were not spun or heat treated properly. And to have two major cracks?! Inconceivable?! This is a manufacturing flaw. Period.

Oh well. I try to fight for everybody with these types of calls.
    Dean

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Common,I have 2 cracked rear springs myself.
    Of course BMW denies this, but the forums confirm it!

My Cars
    z3
    Common, eh? I called BMW of America and was told that they have zero documentation on any E85 having busted coil springs?! I talked to him for a bit about how the internet seems to negate this and could not imagine how BMW would not cover these types of issues. I have only seen busted springs twice and that was back in the 90's with my dads old GM big SUV's and they were scored and rusted. These are fracture type failures meaning they were not spun or heat treated properly. And to have two major cracks?! Inconceivable?! This is a manufacturing flaw. Period.

Oh well. I try to fight for everybody with these types of calls.
    Dean
    BMW is not notorious for being forthright in their acknowledgement of design flaws.

This is a problem that has been observed before, search google for "Z4 rusted spring" or "Z4 broken spring"

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    so today the car hit 1k miles under my ownership... the z4 is such a pleasure to drive.
    Ordering the cowl cover(plastic under wiper blades), the drivers door rubber seal and the marker light for drivers rear side as its acting up now like the passenger one was.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    for those that are curious types...
    This is approximately how much oil can sit at rest in the cavities of the motor cover from a leaking valvetronic motor seal. When more oil is introduced, it spills over on to passages around the spark plug boot holes(never in thank good ness), down the side of cover and straight on to headers letting you know it's leaking oil.
    It seems as if the black rubber was being dissolved by the oil?
    image1-28.JPG

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I love this color as well. Seems as if it's normally an M in this color.
    I don't mind at all. It's a 2007, paid $4500 cash, 92k miles and an automatic.
    Holy cow! I have never seen a Z4 that cheap, especially that late of a model. I'm considering going to look at a manual '03 2.5 with 100k and is listed at $6900-- and I thought that was a pretty decent price.

On the other hand... whatever Z3/Z4 I eventually land, sure hope it doesn't have as many issues as yours. Did you know all these issues were present going into the purchase?
    Last edited by Colo Springs E; 08-20-2017 at 05:33 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    A $4500 Z4 or a car with no issues, can't have both!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    A $4500 Z4 or a car with no issues, can't have both!
    So very true...

Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    Did you know all these issues were present going into the purchase?
    I knew about the top, the rubber seals, the oil leak(s) and the service engine soon lights for vanos exhaust.
    The rest of the stuff I have found as I went along making sure everything was as it should be(my OCD kicks in with cars).
    The light bulb indicator is seriously the only thing I cannot figure out and it is driving me crazy. My dealer wants $140 to just inspect it and that is ludicrous.
    I have bought and replaced so many bulbs and led markers... I could do the math but it makes me sound a bit looney?!

My Cars
    1994 e36
    you got a fabulous deal. I bought virtually the same car. Except 2006, with only 13,000 miles on it. I paid a bit more! Mine has 17K miles now. I just this summer

replaced the top motor as DIY. Did the "modification" and put it in the trunk. Work so far: ding removal, passanger door assembly, preventative brake fluid replace, all filters. I am thinking of: ditch the run-flats (to michelin PSS), and install short shifter.

craig's z4.jpg
    Last edited by cadiddy; 08-29-2017 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by cadiddy View Post
    you got a fabulous deal. I bought virtually the same car. Except 2006, with only 13,000 miles on it. I paid a bit more! Mine has 17K miles now. I just this summer

replaced the top motor as DIY. Did the "modification" and put it in the trunk. Work so far: ding removal, passanger door assembly, preventative brake fluid replace, all filters. I am thinking of: ditch the run-flats (to michelin PSS), and install short shifter.
    Shirt shifter? So yours is the manual gearbox, eh? I thought my roof hydro motor going out so early was crazy. With that few miles, that is insane. Check your coil springs lately?
    I finally got around to installing the new drivers door rubber seal and the cover for cowl.
    As per the norm with my OCD, I vacuumed, washed and waxed the area under the cover. Why not since I am there, right?
    Not too bad under there for 93k.
    image1-31.jpg
    All cleaned up.
    image2-14.jpg

As I look at this pic, it appears I need to pull and clean the aluminum heat shield in the near future.
    Last edited by cdsweet; 08-29-2017 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    well... I finally found the reason for my exterior bulb cluster warning light!! Yes, I am that excited.
    I drove down to Kentucky the other day and decided to stop by the BMW Store in Cincinnati to see if they would hook it up to their machine and tell me what bulb was showing in error.
    Talked to a fella named Joe G. who was super friendly. He asked me to drive the car in to the service bay and he would take a look to see what he could find.
    I pull in and he asks one of the bay attendents to get in the car and proceeded to ask him to 'turn the lights on', 'hit the brakes' and so on and then tells me that my driving lights are out.
    Never sees both of them out, usually just the one. I have no idea what he is talking about because I had no idea it had 'driving lights' and he refers to them as 'angel eyes' then proceeds to give me a write-up to replace both for $361 which included the $128 for the two bulbs. I thank him and go on my way. Get home and search and it's really hard to find a decent picture of the car with these 'driving lights' working. I ended up finding a few helpful posts which led to me buying two 12V 10W type BA9s bulbs from Napa for $14/otd and replaced them in maybe 20mins total.
    Results were positive on making the cluster warning light go away and I now have these cool looking angel eye features up front.
    image3.jpgimage1-4.jpg
    Last edited by cdsweet; 10-09-2017 at 07:41 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    and the Assembly(BMW part #63127170858), teeny tiny expensive halogen bulb and location.

e85 06 Z4 headlight assembly DRL (angel eye).jpgimage1-5.jpegimage2-3.jpeg
    Last edited by cdsweet; 10-11-2017 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    latest update:
    I got a letter from the state of Ohio with a bill and a letter requesting itemized details to fill out and return.
    Apparently, they seem to think that $4500 was number I came up to avoid paying taxes on the estimated average sale value they list at $9,916.
    Luckily, I have kept all emails, paperwork/documentation, screen shots of cars.com advert and even grabbed a business card of the branch manager we met at the bank.
    So we now know that Ohio actually keeps track and monitors cars sales. Good for them. The bill was for another ~$380 with of course, I have no plans of paying.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    I am the type of guy who everybody says I am hard to buy gifts for but my folks picked up a nice unexpected gift for me for my birthday...
    image1-9.jpg

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    and to celebrate the car 1st birthday under my ownership, I treated it to a new muffler from the nice folks at Top Speed Pro-1...
    Two things to note; 1st time I have actually driven the car in a full on rain and the automatic wipers are a very cool feature and the exhaust is as quiet at idle as factory and gets to sound more like a small v8 when on the throttle. Creates a nice rasp when you get off throttle as well. No drone at freeway speeds but that was with the top up so I will see how to goes when I am top down. It's stainless and should polish up nicely. Total cost was $320 for muffler and installation which took them ~3hrs because I wanted all the shields put back on.

image1-3.jpegimage2-2.jpg
    Last edited by cdsweet; 03-29-2018 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    2006 330ci,2007 Z4 3.0si
    You can also retrieve the code without taking trunk apart. Pop off speaker grill behind driver seat. At vent hole to right of speaker you can see the code. Use a screwdriver to re-position the thick cable while peering into the gap w a flashlight. It requires some trial and error as cable does not move without effort. Took me about 5 mins. Got the tip from another Z4 forum.

My Cars
    2006 330ci,2007 Z4 3.0si
    I just purchased a 2007 Z4 last week and have enjoyed reading your thread. Mine has less than 12000 miles on the odometer and seems to be in solid condition. One exception is the windshield cowl as it’s breaking apart at the edge seated against the glass. How difficult was the replacement and did you need to purchase anything beyond the cowl for the job?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmowerz View Post
    I just purchased a 2007 Z4 last week and have enjoyed reading your thread. Mine has less than 12000 miles on the odometer and seems to be in solid condition. One exception is the windshield cowl as it’s breaking apart at the edge seated against the glass. How difficult was the replacement and did you need to purchase anything beyond the cowl for the job?
    Welcome to the Club!!
    Post up a pic when you have time. 12k miles is crazy. Mind me asking how much you paid? Color?
    I drive to Indianapolis UPULLANDPAY every once in a while as they tend o have more cars I need parts from than my local Cincy store.
    I could drop by and help if you wanted me to?

I would also suggest buying the push pins and expanding rivets along with the cowel because more than likely, you'll break/mangle the old ones when removing.
    BMW Part numbers were: 51481915964(4) and 51357019030(2)

I used this tool to pull the wiper blades: Lisle 5140 puller that comes in handy.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 5.58.20 PM.png

And a couple persona suggestions;
    use some painters tape and place right at the edges of where the blades are parked on the glass before you start.
    This gives you a reference point for when you put them back on.

And after you tape the glass, place a thick towel under the blades as you remove them, they can pop and possibly crack/chip the glass when coming off.
    With the hood open, you can't have the blades pointing up as there isn't enough space.

The task isn't hard at all and you will love the results.

Dean
    Last edited by cdsweet; 04-14-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added welcome!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Here is a kit with the little bits included:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...51717017022kt/

My Cars
    2006 330ci,2007 Z4 3.0si

My Cars
    2006 330ci,2007 Z4 3.0si
    Thanks both for reply on windshield cowl. This is not so time critical since Z is garaged unless driving in the sun. Cdsweet, I paid too much prolly and justified/rationalized because dealer did a bunch tires, brake fluid, oil, new headliner, ABS module and only 11K miles. $17.5K and super clean interior.

Sorry for separate posts as still trying to figure this site out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234