Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Z4...

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    What tasks I did during my lunch hour today... Picked up new clip for bumper/quarter and got that cleaned up an all back together and gap is so much better now, installed new rubber windscreen trim and polished up the exhaust tips. I'd say this is progress.
    image1-18.jpgIMG_0521.jpgimage2-8.jpgimage3-7.jpg

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0i
    Awesome! thanks! Now I'm really looking forward to getting my phone synced in the car.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    1st drive for this z4 in Ohio... on my way to get the car its 'out of state' inspection which for the 2nd time a ginormous waste of my time. Ohio BMV is the worst?!
    Then dropped by local car parts store to pick up a front passenger marker bulb. It amazes me how complicated it is to swap out a teeny tiny light bulb.
    The Sport Button is pretty entertaining. Definitely a nicer drive here than it was in Morgantown where the roads and traffic are shit.
    image1-19.jpg

And something I very rarely see here locally.
    image2-9.jpg

During my drive, I found out the 'up' switch on the mirror control does not work? on both driver and passenger side so gunna see if I can take the switch apart and see if a good cleaning to see if that helps. I hate the paint they use on the interior plastics. It's not very forgiving with wear. Seems like tearing it all out, sanding and staining it might help?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LivingZLife View Post
    Awesome! thanks! Now I'm really looking forward to getting my phone synced in the car.
    Did you get it sorted out?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    Just check your vin(last 6 digits) here: https://www.bmwvin.com
    Look for option S639. Or does your steering wheel have controls at 9a(face) 3p(R/T)? If so, then you can program your phone to pair.
    I do have option S639 but no controls on my steering wheel =(

VIN is LU04366

Does that mean I'm out of luck?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    VIN decoders show that you have 639 phone-prep option installed, along with Realoem here:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BT53-USA-03-2003-E85-BMW-Z4_30i&diagId=84_
    Check for the phone cradle in center console.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 04-03-2017 at 12:47 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    VIN decoders show that you have 639 phone-prep option installed, along with Realoem here:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BT53-USA-03-2003-E85-BMW-Z4_30i&diagId=84_
    Check for the phone cradle in center console.
    I'm not too sure where to look for the cradle. My center console looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/0DLRKQl.jpg

and the fold down:

http://i.imgur.com/XO8S5MV.jpg

I apologize for the meme that was for something else. but the only shot I have of the center console.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Truly puzzling that your VIN look-up indicates 639 option code,
    But neither steering wheel or center console indicates this.
    Sorry I don't have an answer for you, maybe check your trunk area for the TCU.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 04-03-2017 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    yeah, that makes no sense to me... Curious if you have the control box in trunk and maybe the steering wheel was either replaced on controls removed.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    yeah, that makes no sense to me... Curious if you have the control box in trunk and maybe the steering wheel was either replaced on controls removed.
    I can take a look. What part of the trunk would it be in?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Open trunk, as you're looking in to trunk. pull up the floor cover over battery, then pop the two plastic taps on small ledge/wall on each side of next piece of flooring/carpet, once those are popped out, the rest is Velcro'd so remove that. Then pull on the back wall at bottom edge and bring it up and away from the back wall. Look on left side of the wall and the Bluetooth box is mount behind a cage that has 3 8mm nuts.

My Cars
    Found out that when you disconnect/pull the seats to clean and you start the car with stated seats removed, the SRS light comes active. And stays active after putting the seats back in.
    My normal Scanners don't do SRS so I ordered a 'Creator C301+' that seems to be specifically for BMW/Minis that showed up in less than 48hrs from Ca? Still waiting on the rubber window gasket from Chattanooga that I ordered last Friday?! but to continue, the 310+ worked like a charm and showed the a couple errors regarding seat belt clasps and passenger seat occupancy sensor and reset them with no issues thus far. Scanner was well worth the $55.
    That 310+ cleared the SRS light? Taking your word for it as I just ordered one on Amazon Prime. That's my exact problem, looking for an option to clear the light myself.
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
    2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    the lovely mrs. drove the car to the store today and came home and stated it is now 'her car'...

Last edited by cdsweet; 04-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by jman1975 View Post
    That 310+ cleared the SRS light? Taking your word for it as I just ordered one on Amazon Prime. That's my exact problem, looking for an option to clear the light myself.
    Should have gotten the 310+ today. How'd it work for you?
    What errors did you get?

My Cars
    Should have gotten the 310+ today. How'd it work for you?
    What errors did you get?
    partially worked; cleared an under voltage fault this afternoon, then tonight the light came back, however, no fault code was thrown

anyone know if a bad battery can cause the SRS light on without fault codes?

trying out one last thing and I'll probably make a dealer appointment tomorrow, I don't have the time to play the research game with this issue unfortunately
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Well, that's interesting. Hopefully it works out and your one last effort fixes it. Keep me posted please. Curious what could do that...

My Cars
    Well, that's interesting. Hopefully it works out and your one last effort fixes it. Keep me posted please. Curious what could do that...
    thought maybe it was still a voltage problem, fully charged my battery to no avail this morning

since no code is being thrown per the SRS light, I have no choice to have it checked out now

just disappointed, I had the car in storage for 5 1/2 months and receive a fault light first thing after hooking it back up
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Ensure your battery is secured in the box(no movement at all) and the +|- terminals are clean and tight.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jman1975 View Post
    anyone know if a bad battery can cause the SRS light on without fault codes?
    If theres a light theres a code. Keep looking... Use better diagnostic tools if needed like INPA

My Cars
    Fixed it! (again!)

Sorry for the multiple posts over the course of a couple of days, if these overseas code readers had instructions I think I could cut down on the song and dance...

So I disconnected the battery, cleaned a few of the connections, reassembled and reconnected the battery. Light is still on. Decided I was going to go through the entire reader, all sections, and clear codes. Most didn't have any, however, I came to a section for the left pillar I saw this:

left_pillar_zpsuvwgluyc.jpg

Made sense, I had unplugged the harness underneath. The right pillar section had this:

right_pillar_zpshaa4ym1t.jpg

Cleared that and the light immediately went off. The C310+ reader comes with a couple of troubleshooting documents, including one that says for SRS goto the Body -> "SIM" section. So it's confusing. But I guess it can't all be that bad since it worked in the end. I'll give my stamp of approval on this reader.

Still going to the dealer, however, as I still need an annual oil change
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Very nice! I guess I should have mentioned I ran thru every one of the functions on the 310+ to see what was out there.

Just changed the oil filter housing, oil cooler gasket, both vanos solenoids, the valvetronic gasket and removed the filter when I started and at the end, dumped all the oil and filled back up. Been a fun night in the garage spending some quality time with the Z4. Haven't started it just yet. Doing coolant tomorrow. See how his electric water pump thing goes. I actually took a look at what I believe may be the coolant pump as I removed the front engine undercover to clean up all the funk that's been collecting in it. Anyhow, the pump looks kind of like a little turbo?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    z4's 1st bath...
    Just a simple cleaning with granitize s-3 wash&wax, 2 bucket method with a couple microfiber wash mitts. Top was cleaned with meguiers vinyl/canvas cleaner and a soft 2" brush.
    I'll drive it for a few days then wash with something to break the existing wax, then clay bar, polish and wax. But for now, this cleaned up rather well. Paints gloss is holding up nicely.
    You can see the clear coat failure on the nose in the last pic... :/
    image1-20.jpgimage2-10.jpgimage3-8.jpg

And I have a weird question about the gear indicator on the console that the shifter is located. Is the 'P' always light up when you get in and out of the car?
    Seems a bit peculiar to me and I don't care for it...
    Last edited by cdsweet; 04-12-2017 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    never mind... I simply searched and found my answer. It's normal.

The illuminated "P" (stays lit for 16 minutes) is not indicating that something is wrong with your HVAC unit...but it is actually an indicator that the car is AWAKE and is connected to the P-Bus which is a simple communication bus for some components in the car that are attached to the GM (general module) that ready some features to prepare themselves. Some of the components on the P-Bus are the door handles (which when lifted will activate the "P" light on the dash) and the little fan in the HVAC unit will begin to spin...drawing in cabin air to determine how/where to set up the HVAC system to prepare the car for a driver.

Again, you have some missing pieces as to what is going on with the car and have made some wrong assumptions. If you get a chance, download some of the Electronic PDF files on e38.org and read up to get some knowledge of how intricate these cars are. There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

You appear to be someone who can really get into the finer details of "how stuff works"...but just make sure you really know how it works without making unsubstatiated assumptions. Always verify the info you post with empircal documentation rather than subjective/untried opinion. If it is opinion or an unsubstatiated premise...make sure that you write it or identify it as so. All of us learn stuff as we go along. Hang in there...and at the rate you're going...you may become a great contributer to these forums...but make sure you truly understand the info you've read and how it integrates with other systems and components.

Below is a brief description and diagram of some of the items that communicate on the P-bus:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-27-2008 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    image4-2.jpgimage7.jpgimage6.jpg

All cleaned up.
    Rather pleased with results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cdsweet; 04-13-2017 at 08:35 PM.

My Cars
    All cleaned up.
    Rather pleased with results.
    that blue does look sharp!
    the stable:
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    I am really enjoying this car.