Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Z4...

My Cars
    z3
    Love the car. But the dealership for oil changes after all the work you've done? Save your pennies man!!!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Love the car. But the dealership for oil changes after all the work you've done? Save your pennies man!!!
    Oh Lord no, I changed the oil myself!? Dealership charges crazy money to do such an easy task!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    so the latest thing I found out... I still kept getting the P0012 after cleaning/reinstalling the original vanos solenoids, then buying replacements, then buying and installing the vanos check valves, and using the proper BMW filter and then tried BMW 5w30 synthetic oils. Finally I started to check for other things online and found this forum post about
    p0012 and p0015 codes for a missing part of the oil filter cover? http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...nd-P0015-codes and thought, hey mine didn't have this center piece... I wonder. Could it of been that easy? So I ordered a new cover BMW Part number 11427525334 for $35 online. Took 2 days to get here so my car sat and waited for the replacement. Put it in and drove the car 68 miles today. Problem I was having was when the car was fully warmed up and I had been on the throttle rather heavily, I would pull up to a stop or light or whatever, and the car idle would jump a bit before settling back to normal and every so often, I would hit the throttle to go, the car would kind of hesitate or lag and the 'Service Engine Soon' would light up. It got a bit frustrating as I couldn't make it do it at every stop?! I am sure all the new parts were needed due to age so I'm not mad about it. I just wanted the check light and erratic idle to stop and the new cover seems to have been the fix for both?!
    New vs. Old
    image1-22.jpg
    Last edited by cdsweet; 04-29-2017 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The o-rings are the critical components.
    If they are missing or failing, they will affect oil pressure,
    in turn affecting vanos solenoid operation, possibly causing timing issues.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 04-30-2017 at 05:21 AM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    well, this is something I haven't seen since my old GM car days here in southern Ohio...
    I am in the process of having all my rotors turned and installing new pads and I find this?
    image1-23.JPG
    A spring snapped from rust? After a bit of searching, I guess it's not all that uncommon with these?
    Realoem doesn't even show the car has this part? Assume these need replaced in pairs due to settling? Anybody got a spare set they'd want to sell? Has Sports-package.
    BMW part number is: 33536761926

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 9.16.03 AM.png
    Last edited by cdsweet; 05-19-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: adding part number

My Cars
    z3
    It was pretty common on earlier years but does happen on later years

I'd replace them as a full set all around personally, but as a pair should be fine. Also a good chance to lower it a hair with lowering springs (a set of lowering springs is not very expensive, though you'd want to replace struts too) if thats your thing.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Also a good chance to lower it a hair with lowering springs (a set of lowering springs is not very expensive, though you'd want to replace struts too) if thats your thing.
    I finally got around to ordering the springs. The new brake pads and getting the rotors turned were quite $pendy..
    I just ordered two OEM BMW replacements for back. I have been through the NOPI years with lowering cars and I simply want to keep this car as close to stock as possible.
    Besides, the lovely mrs has already dragged the nose of this car twice on parking blocks...

Car has been doing well mechanically with just under 400 miles driven since I got it.
    Sure is fun to drive. Kids love the 'sport mode' and the wife loves the fact she can put the the top up and down with a push of a button.
    I really need to sort out where the popping is coming from when we got over bumps. Seems like it is in the front of upper dash toward the glass. Doesn't seem to help if I push on the panel up front? Not too sure where it is coming from. Wife just says to turn the stereo volume up and gaurantees the noise goes away?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Torque down the cross-brace bolts.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Thank you MIKYZZ4!
    With a quick search I found out that the factory specs on the cross brace nuts are 41nm(~30ft/lbs) on the nut and sure enough, they were much looser than that.
    Tightened them to spec and will drive to pick up lunch here shortly.
    I may go find some self locking stainless versions of the nuts so I don't have to worry about this anymore.
    Results to follow.

My Cars
    z3
    Just loctite them if you are worried about them coming loose again

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Just loctite them if you are worried about them coming loose again
    That is a fine idea. Thank you.

..and the results are positive! Appears the popping noise is gone!
    Woohoo! I owe you a beer MIKYZZ4!?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I'm glad for your positive results, I'll take you up on your kind offer if I'm ever up your way, or is it down?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    I'm glad for your positive results, I'll take you up on your kind offer if I'm ever up your way, or is it down?
    It's down? I'm just North of Cincinnati.

My Cars
    2010 Maxima, 2016 Pilot
    Damn, I envy you mechanical guys. I wish I have the knowledge and patience to do work like that. Id be saving a lot of money

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Just to give us something to do. We get lonely
    Just saying hello! Just in case you are feeling bored or unappreciated!?

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by DailyGuy View Post
    Damn, I envy you mechanical guys. I wish I have the knowledge and patience to do work like that. Id be saving a lot of money
    I considered myself a mechanical guy, but cdsweet is tearing it up with this thread. I've had my Z for a few months longer than him and so far I installed a phone holder and brake pads.

In my defense, it's a really nice phone holder.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jacks View Post
    I considered myself a mechanical guy, but cdsweet is tearing it up with this thread. I've had my Z for a few months longer than him and so far I installed a phone holder and brake pads.

In my defense, it's a really nice phone holder.
    A phone holder you say? Post up a pic! There really isn't anywhere to set a phone other than the bowl under the e-brake.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    There really isn't anywhere to set a phone other than the bowl under the e-brake.
    You must have a small phone.

Wiz Gear Phone Holder

Picture of Holder

Picture of Samsung Note 4 on the Holder

Installation of Aux/In & USB Charger

Dash Cam is up next.

My Cars
    z3
    Don't mean to rain on your parade but...

http://i.imgur.com/6ZyBKqs.jpg

Tilt up. Note the SMG Transmission is in Drive to allow room for the ashtray to come out. (Yes, I refuse to call it an automatic.)
    There were 3 transmissions available for that car - manual, SMG and automatic. The automatic and SMG are not the same - there is some confusion about this with these cars because the M3's only came in SMG or manual, so SMG = auto became a common association. But they are different. You have an automatic, so maybe you should not refuse to call it such...

Manual

SMG

Automatic

Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 05-23-2017 at 04:01 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2012 Infiniti FX35
    Dayum that is a gorgeous blue! And impressive mechanical know-how as well!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    well, I haven't worked much on the z4 as of the past few days because one of my kids came home from school to change his oil/cartridge and we were supposed to install the speakers I bought him for his birthday but... plans rarely work out as you would hope? Found out his front passengers lower control arm bushing was shot. Ordered the parts and we worked on his car a couple afternoons. Installed the oil/filter, all new speakers, fixed his passenger seat(one of the bolts at pivot point had fallen out?), pulled the drivers door card and pushed out the dent his now ex girlfriend put in the door when she kicked it, pulled and fixed the havoc blower fan as something got in the there and cracked one of the fins clean off? Super glue and a little heat from a soldering iron with flat blade on it and some light sanding and all is better. So we are working on installing the complete front end rebuild kit this afternoon. Lower control arms, lollipops, end links and sway bar links. Appointment set for tomorrow at 4p to get it aligned at a local shop that does the for all my cars. Car should handle and ride much better after all this.
    After this, on to installing the new springs on my z4.
    image1-25.jpg

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Don't mean to rain on your parade but...
    Dang, you really did rain on my parade. Now for the life of me, I can't recall why I thought it was an SMG, I swore I saw it on some of the paperwork, but sure enough the online VIN decoder reads Auto.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Dang, you really did rain on my parade. Now for the life of me, I can't recall why I thought it was an SMG, I swore I saw it on some of the paperwork, but sure enough the online VIN decoder reads Auto.
    I was told to avoid the SMG? I like my automatic with 'Sport Shift' but I'd prefer the manual but they are a bit more than my budget in the used market.

Half the e30 suspension is done. Finding a socket combo to work on this one with the aftermarket header compared to the stock one one of my other was challenging.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I'll take a 5/6 speed manual over a SMG or auto.
    Much more reliable, and more raw communication between car and driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast