Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a Z4...

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si

Picked up a Z4...

Drove out to West Virginia from Cincinnati to pick this up.
    Pretty stoked about it.
    Currently, I have a massive list of things I need to do to it such as; new convertible hydro pump, valvetronic seal, front badge, 3rd tail light, passenger sill plate clips, steam clean interior, pull and clean solenoid valves, change oil/filter, new plugs, pull wheels to clean and visually check brake pads and sensors, buff out headlights, wash thoroughly, clay bar/wax/seal, clean back glass(tape residue evident), find out which bulb is causing the light indicator to glow on cluster... I think I could go on and on?!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Love the color combination. Can we ask how many miles, manual or auto, what year, and how much you paid?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    I love this color as well. Seems as if it's normally an M in this color.
    I don't mind at all. It's a 2007, paid $4500 cash, 92k miles and an automatic.
    Last edited by cdsweet; 03-23-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Updated year

My Cars
    z3
    You must be very strong, I can barely deadlift 300 lbs most days and Z4's weigh over a ton!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Well, I had the wife and my dog helping me?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    I love this color as well. Seems as if it's normally an M in this color.
    I don't mind at all. It's a 2007, paid $4500 cash, 92k miles and an automatic.
    I'd say you stole it for that price! Well done. I think the list of things you have to do isn't bad, some of it fun even (not the convertible hydro pump.) It looks really clean.

My Cars
    z3
    $4500 is a steal for that car... maybe I should be looking out for Z4 roadsters not just coupes... sheesh

Welcome to the forum and hope the car treats you well Love that color...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    That's a sweet steal... deal! Nice pick up.
    Your to do list and mine, are basically identical!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    That's a sweet steal... deal! Nice pick up.
    Your to do list and mine, are basically identical!
    I have the top all ready to be lifted out if you want to learn/help with me on how to do this you're more than welcome to drop by?
    I'm in Northern Cincinnati area... A bit of a drive from Illinois but you never know?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I appreciate the invitation, unfortunately I'm not able to take advantage of it at the present time.
    Keep us posted on your progress, with pics if possible, to witness the transformation from,
    Neglected to Perfected!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Update.
    Hydro motor has been replaced. What a mess. Wort part was having the orange sludge pour on to my fresh steam clean carpets...
    Took 4hrs but I was being a bit OCD about the whole project; cleaned rear glass, scrubbed rain well, checked drains, stripped, soldered and shrink wrapped wires instead of using the 12v connectors...
    image2-6.jpgimage3-5.jpgimage1-15.jpgimage4-2-2.JPG

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Very ambitious project to be your first experience with a Z4. Great job. It is interesting your pump went bad as the 06+ cars have an improved version which is more impervious to water. Were the drains clogged?

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    The drivers side was partially clogged and has been cleared out. Initially, just vacuumed out the leftover tree debris, then I poured a 1gal jug in each side and observed how fast the water came out of the bottom. Then used compress air and blew it clear. Then repeated process. The drivers side was the worst and end results were satisfying. My thoughts on this is they appeared to have figured this issue out as the drivers side drain seems to be bigger diameter drain. Why didn't they just double each side and have two or Invrease the diameter of the drain tubes to allow the water to flow freely instead of allowing it to pool... makes no sense. I will probably end up relocating the motor if it fails again. Interior is all back together. Still enjoying the process but having wrenched on my kids e30's and the e46, it feels a bit like home to me. liking this automobile Way better than the Miata.

My Cars
    E39 2001
    Plenty of work, but it must be a pleasure with car like this one.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Today's updates.
    Linked my iPhone to the BlueTooth feature of the Business CD stereo. What a pain when you don't have the owners manual. I called BMWoA and they stated that I need to contact the BMW who sold the car new and they gave me the number. What a waste of time, where you argue with the service guy where he tells you it is changeable and I needed to come in and they would pull the Stereo to get the serial number off of it. I told him that the code is not changeable, that didn't start until 2010 models according to BMWoA. Anyhow... long story short, he was no help. What I ended up doing was pulling the trunk apart and getting the code off the TFU(?) and finally got it coded. It amazes me how many variations you can find online to pair the device. Press the face with key off for 3secs, continue to hold button and turn key to position '1', then after 3secs, release and the display will change on stereo? This did not work, on mine it was a simple turn key to position '1' and just click the R/T button on other side of steering wheel. Then wait for your phone to see the BMWxxxxx(last 5digits of you vin), connections and enter the hard coded digits on the TFU. Voila, immediately starts to download contacts list. Made a few test calls. Only does making and answering phone, no streaming audio.
    After doing all this, I cleaned up the trunk so it looks much better now. No more stains...
    Shadows make it look darker on left side?
    image1-16.jpg
    And then, I pulled the polisher out and cleaned up the cloudy headlights. Results speak for themselves.
    image2-7.jpgimage3-6.jpg51242776195__F9D42DA5-B492-4637-9333-7F137A12781E.jpg

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    no real updates as I have been hammered with major work projects.
    Got two of the 4 wheels cleaned up as well as possible. Had no idea the 108's were two piece. Thinking I may pull them apart and have the barrels buffed out and re cleared and the center star powdercoated a gold/bronze or maybe color matched blue? Any adobe pros out there want to show me those options and colors thatchy would try?

So while taking the front drivers wheel off I found a drywall screw in the top front part of inner wheel well. So I inspected this to find another screw behind the yellow marker light. Appears the numerous times of bumping the nose on parking blocks, the breakaway clip and given up the ghost. I ordered that clip form the local dealer Wednesday so it should be here today. This will allow me to continue the cleanup process.

Found out that when you disconnect/pull the seats to clean and you start the car with stated seats removed, the SRS light comes active. And stays active after putting the seats back in.
    My normal Scanners don't do SRS so I ordered a 'Creator C301+' that seems to be specifically for BMW/Minis that showed up in less than 48hrs from Ca? Still waiting on the rubber window gasket from Chattanooga that I ordered last Friday?! but to continue, the 310+ worked like a charm and showed the a couple errors regarding seat belt clasps and passenger seat occupancy sensor and reset them with no issues thus far. Scanner was well worth the $55. Sure is better than my old Peake FX3 reset tool.
    Also ordered the oil filter housing gasket(had to replace this on all 4 of my bmws) but this one also has an 'oil cooler' gasket I added to the order.
    This will work out as I needed to flush the coolant and change oil anyways.

image1-17.jpg

I am hoping to get the car titled and tagged tomorrow so I can actually drive it to see what else may need addressed.
    Pretty content with the process thus far.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Anybody know why do all my replies have to go thru Moderator to be posted?
    I was also wondering if the BMW engineers considered making the hydro-pump for roof something like a sump pump where it is designed to live life submerged?
    This has the benefit of water cooling, sump pumps seem to last for a decade+ before they need replaced and they live in a potentially much harsher environment.

Still boggles me that this design is so poorly thought out. It just doesn't seem like a BMW thing to me.
    Last edited by cdsweet; 03-31-2017 at 09:29 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You Don't graduate until you hit ten posts.

Most probably due to additional costs, so they handed off the problem, and gave us pump replacement as a necessary maintenance item!

My Cars
    Researching
    Nice! I also like the color combo. I rarely like the Creams, Tans, and Camel interior colors but it goes well on the Z4

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    #10 post!
    It really does, the black on this would have looked 'off', a mid-tone gray would have looked ok. I even saw one this color with red interior that, to me, looked weird.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    $4,500 Wow, that's a crazy deal. Great find.

I'm not an electronics kind of guy. I have the 2003 roadster with the Business CD player. Can I also hook up the bluetooth like you did?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    Anybody know why do all my replies have to go thru Moderator to be posted?
    Just to give us something to do. We get lonely

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0i
    Can you clarify where you found the codes in the trunk to sync the Blue tooth (TFU?)? I bought a 2008 E85 five years ago, don't have the owners manual and haven't been able to sync my phone for lack of instructions & codes. Would love to get it set up.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jacks View Post
    I'm not an electronics kind of guy. I have the 2003 roadster with the Business CD player. Can I also hook up the bluetooth like you did?
    Just check your vin(last 6 digits) here: https://www.bmwvin.com
    Look for option S639. Or does your steering wheel have controls at 9a(face) 3p(R/T)? If so, then you can program your phone to pair.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingZLife View Post
    Can you clarify where you found the codes in the trunk to sync the Blue tooth (TFU?)? I bought a 2008 E85 five years ago, don't have the owners manual and haven't been able to sync my phone for lack of instructions & codes. Would love to get it set up.
    Open Trunk, remove floor right in front, remove the two tabs holding the next carpet back and pull it out of the way(it is connected by 4-6 velcro strips tag on bottom side.
    Now pull the back carpeted wall forward. It is held on the sides with 4 tabs but I don't know it it'll bend enough to pull it up with them attached. I had removed the tabs and pull all the trunk lining out and hadn't gotten back to putting screw tabs thing back in which is why I was happy I hadn't put it all back together. Once that wall is out of the way, on the left side, there is a metal cage that is held in by 3 8mm bolts to the wall that has a electronic control box encased. Once you get the three bolts out, pull from wall and rotate. You will see where there used to be 3 sets of tags, one went to owners manual in your glovebox, one was supposed to be placed in the doc folder at your dealer and the 3rd is still there for people who are like me and either sold, left in a box somewhere, abandoned in a drawer somewhere or just simply lost it...
    The code is labeled PK:
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    And in my case; once I knew the code all I had to do was get in car, making sure BT was 'on' in my iPhone, turn ignition to where the radio turns on(position 1), just tap or quickly press the R/T button on steering wheel controls - right side, the radio displays searching and this is when you start watching your BT connections on your phone. In less than a minute your phone should show a BMW##### connection to be paired with, connect and when it establishes the connection your radio will show phonebook. This means it is downloading your contacts. Once it all done, press the call button on left of your steering wheel and test it out.
    Last edited by cdsweet; 03-31-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added definition of Right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast