Thread: Starter Solenoid Help

My Cars
    1979 BMW 320i Project

Starter Solenoid Help

Hey everyone!

So I'm replacing my starter solenoid (coil is bad, no continuity between the smaller posts), and I'm having trouble releasing the screws from the backplate. Anyone have any tricks as to removing these without stripping them?

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'm not sure what's going on, but I object!"

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    impact driver
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    I tried the same nonsense way back when I was a noob. It's impossible to remove in the car, and very nearly impossible to remove anywhere else. Not widely available as a spare part, and your starter is going to wear out soon anyway. Just get a rebuilt starter and be done with it.

My Cars
    73' tii 79 320i 73'2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I tried the same nonsense way back when I was a noob. It's impossible to remove in the car, and very nearly impossible to remove anywhere else. Not widely available as a spare part, and your starter is going to wear out soon anyway. Just get a rebuilt starter and be done with it.

+1- half the time on those old starters, the head just breaks off the screws, anyway.

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    A new starter is the single best investment I've made on this car. If you do plan on servicing it, I'd take it out first
    -John

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    impact driver
    Aye, a vice and overnight penetrant.

impactdriver_114.jpg
    Tbd

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    anybody that ever owned a pre 80s british motorcycle also owned an impact driver. i still have both the bike and the tool.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    I also became familiar with the 'impact driver' when I had my first motorcycle (used it alot on the case covers). I still have an old impact driver but it's worn out (needs new ball bearings).
    Tbd

My Cars
    1979 BMW 320i Project
    Thanks all! I took the starter out and got it tested. It was "deadskis", the lady at my local auto parts store said. Went ahead and bought a rebuilt one, but I'm having some problems installing it.

Removing the starter itself was easy enough, I went ahead and gave the bracket that mounts on the starter and the intake manifold a good cleaning and repainting. However, I got my rebuilt starter from AutoZone (I know, I know, but I'm a broke college student!) and it doesn't seem to fit right. From the pictures below, the mounting bracket is flush with its mate on the intake manifold, but there's about a half-inch gap between the mounting holes to the starter and transmission. If i could get the bolt through both holes I would just tighten it to fit, but I can't. Is it possible I have the wrong size starter? It looks exactly the same as the old one but I didn't think to measure it before I traded it in. Am I missing something, or should I bite the bullet and wait a month for a new starter from realoem? Thanks for your help, everyone!
    Starter.jpg
    Starter Bracket.jpg

-NoNothing

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Realoem doesn't sell parts, they only give you the part numbers. You don't buy genuine BMW parts for something like a starter, it would probably be $500. But you DO buy good brands like Bosch. Autozone is not good, but it'll work for now.

Try taking the bracket off the back. The starters evolved a lot over the years and the brackets don't fit and aren't needed on all of them. It needs to go into the hole straight, and right now you've got it at an angle. If it's not the right starter though, it will tear up the teeth on your flywheel, which means you have to remove the transmission, and spend a lot more money. So don't turn the key unless you're sure. Does it have a part number on it? I assume you gave back the box. Could probably go back to the store and ask them which part number you bought. The Bosch number is most relevant. Should be SR40X.

My Cars
    1979 BMW 320i Project
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Realoem doesn't sell parts, they only give you the part numbers. You don't buy genuine BMW parts for something like a starter, it would probably be $500. But you DO buy good brands like Bosch. Autozone is not good, but it'll work for now.

Try taking the bracket off the back. The starters evolved a lot over the years and the brackets don't fit and aren't needed on all of them. It needs to go into the hole straight, and right now you've got it at an angle. If it's not the right starter though, it will tear up the teeth on your flywheel, which means you have to remove the transmission, and spend a lot more money. So don't turn the key unless you're sure. Does it have a part number on it? I assume you gave back the box. Could probably go back to the store and ask them which part number you bought. The Bosch number is most relevant. Should be SR40X.
    I actually kept the box so I will check when I get home from work today. I don't want to tear up my precious Getrag 5-speed thats in the car right now (thanks, PO!) so if this starter is wrong, where would be the best place to get a nice Bosch starter?

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
    I actually kept the box so I will check when I get home from work today. I don't want to tear up my precious Getrag 5-speed thats in the car right now (thanks, PO!) so if this starter is wrong, where would be the best place to get a nice Bosch starter?
    Rockauto has one for $90. AutohausAZ has them for $115.

My Cars
    1979 BMW 320i Project
    Layne was right! Its a Bosch rebuilt starter, but the numbers are all wrong, as you can see:

Starter Body.jpg

To RockAuto I go.

-NoNothing

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
    Layne was right! Its a Bosch rebuilt starter, but the numbers are all wrong, as you can see:

Starter Body.jpg

To RockAuto I go.

-NoNothing
    Slow down, that Duralast number (16362) does appear to cross reference to Bosch SR40X.

It's not a Bosch rebuild, it's an original bosch that has been rebuilt by Duralast. The Bosch number there is not the rebuilt part number, I dunno what it is, nothing comes up for that.