Thread: Alternator Mounting Problem - M54 Engine

My Cars
    2002 530i

Alternator Mounting Problem - M54 Engine

Hello! I have very little experience with posting or contributing to online forums such as this. However, I have encountered an issue trying to reinstall the alternator on my 2002 530i after resealing the oil filter housing gasket. I used a prybar when removing it as recommended and it came out easily. It appears that the mounting stud is taking up space that it was not before which is keeping it from fitting over the housing. I tried using some vaseline to help ease it with no luck. After measuring I found the housing length the alternator must fit over to be quite a bit larger than what is currently possible. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

IMG_0801.jpgIMG_0803.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0805.jpg

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    That stud/bushing, and the nut on the other side of that flange are connected correct? As in a they are a single piece?
    Hitting the bushing into the flange, and thereby releasing the nut from its position, gives you the required clearance.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    That stud/bushing, and the nut on the other side of that flange are connected correct? As in a they are a single piece?
    Hitting the bushing into the flange, and thereby releasing the nut from its position, gives you the required clearance.
    Tried it with a rubber mallet - nothing. Tried two taps with a hammer and the alternator cracked. That solves that.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Sorry it didn't turn out well for you . Count it as a learning experience,
    as I have accumulated many over the years. I didn't notice much corrosion,
    maybe the stress of the earlier prybar maneuver could have caused a stress crack.
    Will you be attempting to locate a new alternator, or be scouring the salvage yards?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    The way to move the captured bushing/nut is to thread the retaining bolt in from the front and support the ear having the nut over a large socket while striking the bolt.
    Galvanic corrosion makes these very tight, hitting it without supporting the ear is asking for trouble.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue