Thread: Subframe Cracked - Repairable?

My Cars
    E36

Subframe Cracked - Repairable?

So I have this E36 325is with HUGE holes in the subframe mounting points. Two to be exact. One front and one rear. Would plates work in this case ? I understand some people replace the whole front unibody but what about for the rear? Here are pics.
    I did buy this car for 750$ & everything else about this car is very good besides these cracks. I'll add some pictures of the car itself. Need some advice, i've seen bad mounting points but not this bad.. Subframe is out already. Kind of convinced I should change out the whole front unibody/panel but lost in what to do with the rear mounting point .. Excited to start this project. Am a senior in highschool but could make time for it. Anyone have any Ideas with what to do with the rear mounting points? The actual threaded piece came down with the subframe. Have seen people weld it back together.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/BryantZamora_/media/IMG_1899_zpsdso9qqk0.jpg.html

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Br...qsopu.jpg.html

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Br...tml?sort=1&o=1

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/Br...g.html?filters[user]=145716022&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
    Last edited by lilman23; 03-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Ughh that looks bad! I would honestly dump the car and find a better donor to fix up, but that's just me.

I'm sure someone else has better experience on this forum in this kind of repair so sit tight for another answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Looks like too much work, and in the end when you *think* your done, you gonna be like f*uck, because something not going to be right.

My Cars
    E36
    All the labor would be done by me except the welding. It's been done before I just need some tips and better ideas to help me out. Doesn't sound like a whole lot of $$$ for a DIY but sounds like a lot of work. I've already got the subframe out & might get started on the gas tank..

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    You should look into a gas welding rig for this type of work before ruling out doing it yourself. A good torch, acetylene, oxygen cylinders, (100/150 CF at least), hoses, etc. can run you less than $400. Gas is more versatile because you can cut and braze in addition to welding. If you're a good DIY'er and with a little practice, you can do some pretty decent welding.

My Cars
    E36
    Yeah I was considering welding myself if another welders prices were too high,i'll definitely look into it thanks. I love DIYs/Fabrications, i'm looking for someone who has some good ideas for this project regarding my issues. I don't really want to consider "ditching" this chassis. I got it for 750$ with a strong engine/tranny, coilovers, exhuast, clean title, fair enough miles ,great interior, a/c, powersteering & a pretty decent paint job..

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    I would add up all the costs and compare that to the cost of buying a clean shell. If its cheaper to buy a shell, do that and swap everything over.

My Cars
    E36
    Yeah, i've added up the costs and it'd be a lot more money finding a good shell and towing it home. A lot more work aswell. I've already almost got the front crossmember prepped to take the welds off it.
    I figured i'll going to be replacing the front crossmember panel completely & just welding up the rear busted mount shut. Of course adding plates to the front and rears. I found a very informing thread of replacing the front AND the rear panels but I figured i'm going to just be replacing the front. I'm not in a huge rush so i might end up just replacing the front AND the rear panels.. Debating

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    It would be cheaper to pay someone to weld it. Unless you have a desire to learn to weld, or plan on doing it more than a few times, the cost wont be worth it. Youll be out $500 or more for the welder and gas. And youll still need grinders and flap discs and that sort of thing to prep the weld surfaces. So another $100-200 on top of the welder. And then all the practice time to get proficient with it.

A mobile welder would probably charge you $200-400 to just do it all for you. And his welds will likely turn out better.

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Welding is both an art and a science, and it is worthwhile to learn. That said, this shouldn't be your first project.

My Cars
    E36
    Yeah I would enjoy welding but for this project i'm going to leave it to someone with expierence to do just because it would turn out way better and this shouldnt be my first project since its my rear end lol plus i want to keep kind of costs down on this project. Would I have to know a guy who knows a guy for someone to come to me and weld ? Or do I have to convince a welder at a shop to come to me ? whats your expierences on that? lol
    Last edited by lilman23; 03-25-2017 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by lilman23 View Post
    Yeah I would enjoy welding but for this project i'm going to leave it to someone with expierence to do just because it would turn out way better and this shouldnt be my first project since its my rear end lol plus i want to keep kind of costs down on this project. Would I have to know a guy who knows a guy for someone to come to me and weld ? Or do I have to convince a welder at a shop to come to me ? whats your expierences on that? lol
    Look on craigslist or a Local classifieds website. Where i live there are tons of ads for mobile welders.
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I did this last year for my TR6. Needed the differential mounts boxed-in and reinforced. Posted a services wanted ad on Clist and a mobile welder answered the ad and came to my house with his gear. I explained it was up on jack stands and he didn't seem to mind. Charged me $100 to crawl under there with his leathers and welded in the plates. Considering I have no decent experience welding and he had to do it lying on his back, it was well worth what he charged me. Your work is a bit more involved but if you do the prep work and have the plates pre-cut it shouldn't be too bad.

My Cars
    E46 323i
    Would you happen to know the link for the thread?

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by Nlemere View Post
    Would you happen to know the link for the thread?
    Here's links for my fix. They're posted in here somewhere but here they are again. I didn't just repair, I replaced the main piece with an upgraded part.
    This is a common problem with the early E36 until the reinforcements started being installed. the M3 came with the reinforcements installed. The front mount
    is best repaired with a new panel. The rear mount breaks just below a box type frame piece between the trunk floor and the outer sheet metal. Welded a 1 inch
    steel tube to the original piece that the bolt screwed into and ran it up into the trunk and welded it at the top through a cut hole, and bottom along with a couple
    of my own fabricated reinforcements.

E36 Rear Subframe Repair

E36 Rear Subframe Reinforcements
    Last edited by tjm3; 01-12-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    the damage is a good reason not to drop the subframe all at once because shit happens.