Thread: Check you dang ole exhaust scavenges

My Cars
    95 M3

Check your dang ole exhaust scavenges

I've been having some crankcase vent issues lately. I hooked up a gauge and saw 4psi in my crankcase while under boost! I decided to redo my system since the exhaust scavenge never seemed to work great for me and this is what I found when I removed it! The inlet port was totally clogged making it useless. The before pic is when it was clogged and the after pic shows the port after I hit it with a wire wheel. This isn't something I would have thought to check before...17439876_10156018219289126_1414382431_n.jpg17440186_10156018218804126_1294851044_n.jpg
    Last edited by DunDunSkeert; 03-22-2017 at 04:54 AM.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Does it work well when it isn't all cruddy?
    I never got it to work great. I never did check the crankcase pressure when I first put it in though so it might be worth a retest.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Mine works great. Most people don't install them at the correct orientation.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    e36

If you look on google images, there are a ton of people doing it incorrectly. When I rev to 3-4k there is major suction. Also be sure to run a check valve. It isn't included on the Vibrant setup.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Generally speaking, you will not have back pressure in the exhaust free revving or even under load at 3000-4000 rpm with a decent 3 - 3.5" straight through exhaust. This will not be the case above that. You will find that you will have ~2 psi back pressure or more depending on size, bends and components in the exhaust. I tried a bunch of locations without success.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, thanks! There was a big thread on here a while ago, and one guy was adamant that it should be installed backwards from your drawing. Proof is in the pudding if yours is working well that way. Is that the way Moroso shows to install them?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post

If you look on google images, there are a ton of people doing it incorrectly. When I rev to 3-4k there is major suction. Also be sure to run a check valve. It isn't included on the Vibrant setup.
    I definitely had it installed right. Another important part of it is the location in the exhaust. Most people have the best luck putting it on the outside end of a bend. I didn't have a check valve because I was worried about restricting the flow. with the hole blocked up with the crud it was just pumping exhaust into my crankcase and made the pressure so bad that my turbo was blowing oil past the seals in both the intake and exhaust. My new setup uses a a catch vent into the filter for vacuum. It work much better than my scavenge ever did.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon

What check valve are you using?

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    e36
    I use the Moroso setup. It's super cheap. TRM sells it. If I was to do it again, I'd probably go with the Virbant setup because the ventrui piece can be removed from the exahust I guess in the event of the OPs situation.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    I have this breather in my engine bay. At times fumes get into the cabin which I really don't like. I'm really thinking about venting it out through the exhaust. Has anybody been able to convert a catch can like this to work with an exhaust vacuum setup? or is it better to just ditch it?

-Phil

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    I have this breather in my engine bay. At times fumes get into the cabin which I really don't like. I'm really thinking about venting it out through the exhaust. Has anybody been able to convert a catch can like this to work with an exhaust vacuum setup? or is it better to just ditch it?
    Just get a simple in/out can. I run an unbaffled one and don't get any smoking and the can certainly fills up.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    So you run the can to the exhaust and it fills up the container?

My Cars
    e36
    Yes (by fills up I mean like maybe a teaspoon of oil in 5-10k miles)
    Last edited by busterhax; 05-10-2017 at 09:18 AM.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Just get a simple in/out can. I run an unbaffled one and don't get any smoking and the can certainly fills up.
    Cool, I just ordered on off ebay. To test if the install is right, I'll connect it to my vac/boost gauge. I'll also install a check valve between the catch can and exhaust fitting.
    -Phil

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Yes (by fills up I mean like maybe a teaspoon of oil in 5-10k miles)
    I wish there was a better solution than that. That is not really working then is it?

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    I wish there was a better solution than that. That is not really working then is it?
    Depends how much blowby you have.. You don't really need the can. I use it to prevent any possible smoking. I know plenty of people running this setup with no can, straight to exhaust.