Thread: top motor question-

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

top motor question-

Hi all-
    I will be troubleshooting my top motor system in the next day or two. Pulled trunk carpet back and eyeballed motor. Fluid is right at mark
    at center of tank. I see 2 big high current wires (motor supply-) and 3 or 4 little wires. Two relays. That makes sense- 3 or 4 little wires
    from rocker switch to energize relays. (not counting the safety switch up front)

I notice 2 more wires that seem to be mounted to a "cap" up on top of the clear plastic hyd. tank. Wondering what these are ? Could
    this be a low fluid interlock switch ? Is there a float and magnetic switch in there ? If its an interlock - I may need to try jumpering it at some point-

Thanks- Tim

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I know of no low oil interlock. If you are low on oil, the pump will still work, it just won't have enough oil to pump into the piston to move the top.

It may help if you could describe the issue you are having with your top.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Factory wiring diagrams are your friend.

z3-top.pdf
    Last edited by rf900rkw; 03-22-2017 at 01:43 PM.

/.randy

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    Have you ruled out the brake switch and microswitch? Those are the two most common cause of non-operation.
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    z3
    The top systems on our cars are amazingly simple. Its a pump with two lines to a hydraulic strut. If there is fluid in the system then its not a physical failure, so definitely be looking towards sensors and switches and the like...

As khammack mentioned, it will be a lot easier for us to help you troubleshoot the problem if you can explain whats happening

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    thanks to all of you- I wont know yet if I need help troubleshooting- but it DOES seem like it has to be pretty simple electrically.
    I figured Id check power at the supply wires to the motor. Then test the relays. Could be just a rely--- could be the power to the rocker switch. If I jumper the motor and it runs- then its a simple fix. Just wondered what the mystery wires in the top of the tank were. Noticing now- they are not the little wires like going to the relays (signal wires) they are bigger wires - looking they carry a little current... so probably not an interlock.
    Where would I find schematic ? let me Guess --- TIS ? I keep looking at that thing and I don't see where there is ANY detail that would enable you to DO anything--- I can find NO pages showing ANY internal engine work- Not really much about details of many of the systems- Can someone tell me where all the REAL information is? This thing Im looking at looks more like MSDS and OSHA warnings than a repair manual.......

This------> is what I have been looking at--- is THIS the TIS yall have been talking about ? http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se...als_e9x-m3-us/

OR- am I in the wrong place ?

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks RF--- that's just what I needed right when I needed it. Was that from TIS ?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    That is TIS, but their interface sucks. Were the real TIS has forward and back buttons for going page to page, this one requires you to select each page from the side menu.

The wiring diagrams are separate. ETM. TIS is the shop manual ETK is the parts manual (realoem et al). See Abel's INPA thread for links to several of these goodies.

/.randy