Thread: Eccentric Shaft Sensor Faults and Something Odd

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i

Eccentric Shaft Sensor Faults and Something Odd

I used my Carly to do a scan on my recently acquired 2006 E90 and it kicked back several codes indicating a problem with the eccentric shaft sensor. No lights are on, though. The car runs like a champ (I think), so I'm assuming that something is out of whack, but not enough out of whack to trigger a light. The codes were 002A31 through 002A35. I suppose I should change the sensor because trouble is coming or could it be something else?

I also found something troubling. Just for the heck of it, I ran a "used car" test with the Carly and it kicked back something odd. The result of the test showed three VIN codes. The ignition, the lights and the engine. The VINs for the ignition and lights match that of the car, but the VIN on the engine doesn't match. When I run the VIN on the engine, it kicks back as a European model 323i with a N52B25U0 engine, but I have visually verified that my engine is an N52B30AE. What does this mean? Is my Carly just messing with me or did I buy something I shouldn't have?

Any info is appreciated.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    No words of wisdom on this one? I guess I'll change the sensor and see what happens.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    That's very odd that the engine vin wouldn't match, given the difficultly of replacing an engine ecu. It's possible that Carly is messing with you, but I'm not sure how it would pull an incorrect vin. I'd be tempted to look at the AIF page in INPA to read the vin off the entire list of ECUs. I doubt there is a major issue, just a bit of an oddity. As far as the sensor, I think you're right to replace it. I had a cam sensor plausibility code on my 540i that I wrote off for about 2 months before it threw an engine light and demanded replacement. It seems the plausibility codes are pretty accurate at detecting a sensor that is beginning to fail.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Rocket, although I like my Carly. It seems to do what they claimed it would, but for the money, I'm now seeing that I could have gotten more, without the convenience of bluetooth, which I really don't care about. I was considering getting a cable and software to put on my tablet, but I'd really rather have just a stand alone unit.

What I'd really like to have is a unit that can do re-learn procedures and calibrations (like the steering angle). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngel View Post
    Rocket, although I like my Carly. It seems to do what they claimed it would, but for the money, I'm now seeing that I could have gotten more, without the convenience of bluetooth, which I really don't care about. I was considering getting a cable and software to put on my tablet, but I'd really rather have just a stand alone unit.

What I'd really like to have is a unit that can do re-learn procedures and calibrations (like the steering angle). Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    ISTA can do all of that, it's the dealer diagnostic/calibration software. You can perform calibrations for steering angle, DFI injectors, active steering, etc. You can also bleed the abs system. It takes up like 25gb on disk, but it's very helpful and it's in English. It also has TIS service guides built in.
    INPA or toolset32 can also do calibrations and they are far smaller on disk, but they are in german shorthand. I like the Carly app, but when given the choice, I prefer the PC based software. The PC software just offers so much more capability for the advanced stuff. For the 1997-2005 cars like the e46, BMW Scanner 1.4 is my favorite for diagnostic and coding duties, but I don't think it can do calibrations. I constantly tinker, so I decided to run all of the above on my Lenovo t420. I have all kinds of stuff stored on Mega, I can give you download links for anything you want, just let me know. If you end up replacing modules or anything like that, you can code used ones yourself with NCS Expert

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Thanks again Rocket. I'm ordering a cable from ebay now. I supposed I'll just install it on Surface Pro tablet, assuming that the software will run on Windows 10. If not, I'll just dig up an old laptop with Win98 on it.

My Cars
    07 e91
    did you check the plug at the shaft sensor?...if they are showing signs of beginning to weep oil, the sensor will start shorting out.

JP