Thread: Here's a new one for ya!

My Cars
    1997 e36 sedan

Here's a new one for ya!

My car has offset poly lower control arm bushings. Today, I got tires mounted and because of the way the poly bushings were pressed in the tire rubbed on the front part of the fender.

No worries, pull the bushings, set them back to center, wheels are now centered in the wheel well and tires are no longer hitting in the fenders.

Take the car for a spirited drive and notice on the way back up my road that the drivers side tire is rubbing again. I look under the car and notice that my poly lca bushing has moved back to where it was set prior. This means my lower control arm bushings are spinning in the race that they get pressed into.

I have no idea what to do, is this an issue that has happened to someone else, is it common? Should I have installed them with some kind of glue? Before I buy new ones just wanted to know if there was something I did wrong to avoid making the same mistake

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You can let the manufacturer know what's happening, but I think your solution is to just go with rubber bushings.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    I didn't realize there were bushings out there that could adjust to both centered and offset!!

Either way, sounds like they're junk. Who makes them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3
    Yeah I'm also confused on the ability to switch.

I know with powerflex no glue or anything is needed, just a slight tolerance fit. Lube between the two pieces though.

My Cars
    E36
    Offset Poly are supposed to have a drilled set screw, at least mine do.

BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    1997 e36 sedan
    When I said I was able to switch the caster I am only talking about removing the bushing and reinstalling it in a different position. This technically makes them adjustable, a pain in the ass, but adjustable none the less.

I was wondering about set screws, I was tempted to drill and tap a hole to set them where I wanted them but I feel like the hole would become loose and I would be buying bushings again either way.

I don't remember where I bought them from, but for the time being I am going to try to glue them into place and buy the appropriate parts to correctly fix this issue. I have e46 lower control arms, which needed to be ground down to fit in the e36 bushings, these will be replaced with new e46 lcas, offset bushings with hex fittings to make them work with the e46 lowers.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yeah drilling and taping the lollipop would be a solution, I would use like 4 per lollipop.