RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Help resetting/reading traction control light 540i!

My Cars
    2001 540i/6

Help resetting/reading traction control light 540i!

Hey fellow members! Was wondering if anyone is in the bay area that can read/reset my traction control light. I have a feeling it is the steering angle sensor code but not 100% I really don't wanna pay $$$ at the dealer to have it read/reset/recalibrated. I would certainly appreciate the help. Pm me so we can meet. I can meet pretty much anywhere in the bay area. Thanks again!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    IF it's the steering angle sensor, and the problem does not require fixing something, you can clear it by simply turning the steering wheel full left, then full right.

Or, if you want the ability to do your own diagnoses, you can set up INPA on a laptop, for incredibly cheaply, with the purchase of nothing more than a cord. Or, buy the "Carly" App, and a cord. Or, ECS tuning has a BMW specific scan-tool, which looks to be very capable, for $200

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    IF it's the steering angle sensor, and the problem does not require fixing something, you can clear it by simply turning the steering wheel full left, then full right.

Or, if you want the ability to do your own diagnoses, you can set up INPA on a laptop, for incredibly cheaply, with the purchase of nothing more than a cord. Or, buy the "Carly" App, and a cord. Or, ECS tuning has a BMW specific scan-tool, which looks to be very capable, for $200
    Call me crazy, but I'm gonna disagree with the first part.

I had a DSC light on for a while and tried everything, including turning the wheel end to end. That works great for clearing trifecta after a low battery or similar. I finally got my pc set up with INPA thanks to Abel and discovered a steering sensor fault. INPA will not calibrate a 2000 z3 steering sensor, but will other models. I used Ista, thanks once again to Abel, and was able to recalibrate my steering sensor through ista and clear the light.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    ok...

crazy!
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliHover View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'm gonna disagree with the first part.

I had a DSC light on for a while and tried everything, including turning the wheel end to end. That works great for clearing trifecta after a low battery or similar. I finally got my pc set up with INPA thanks to Abel and discovered a steering sensor fault. INPA will not calibrate a 2000 z3 steering sensor, but will other models. I used Ista, thanks once again to Abel, and was able to recalibrate my steering sensor through ista and clear the light.
    Nothing crazy about that, my friend. Personally, I've never used INPA...because I have ISTA, and Autologic, and Launch. And funny, my wonderful friend and computer wizard Abel likes INPA, but dislikes ISTA, as I recall?

I didn't think that an '00 BMW needed needed the Steering Angle Sensor reset by telling the computer that the wheel was straight. I can do this with Launch and Autologic, so have never bothered with ISTA for this. ISTA isn't really "user friendly"

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Ya, I like the convenience and speed of INPA. ISTA-D is ok, and I use it here and there. Although the test plans are more often misleading than accurate. On the odd blue moon, it will get it right.

ISTA-P, I try to avoid as much as possible because it can cause problems, or complain that a part number hardware revision is too old for an update, and it stops whole procedure. Benefit is that you can go out with your friends and get a coffee, and probably a good lunch in the time it does everything.

But yea, for the 540i, reading the codes will be the best starting point.

The only cars *I've* seen that will reset the steering angle sensor by going full left, and full right, are the VWs with electromechanical steering. Those are a nice piece of work.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Damn, really? I've had truly GREAT experience with ISTA's test plans. When Autologic and Launch leave you hanging with not much more than a code, ISTA-D does magic things like show me a picture of the exact connector I left unplugged! (That was after removing dash and console on an X5 or X3 to do an evaporator). and pulling up the wiring diagrams for a given circuit that's in question. I agree that it's not fast though; for programming and coding, I always pull up a chair, and try to have another car to work on, while coding and programming are happening. I've never had ISTA-P freak out on me, although certainly I've heard horror stories of bricked computers from other techs. But for me, ISTA-D is the ultimate diag resource; beats hell out of Autologic, every time.

As for that "steering angle reset": That's the code you get when you've disconnected everything doing work on many BMWs, and simply turning the wheel left and right shuts off the trifecta, as Mike says. There's also the calibration that you need to use a computer for, of course, which is pretty much "tell me when the wheels are straight".

Abel, I'm going to be emailing or PMing you with a wierd no start issue on an E60.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412