Thread: Rubbing on coilovers

My Cars
    1994 325i

Rubbing on coilovers

Yesterday I installed a set of Solo Werks coilovers on my 1994 325i and I also installed a set of shims to get an extra -1 negative camber up front. My tires are now rubbing on the springs up front. I have Style 17s on right now (7x15, ET 47). I tried some 8 mm spacers and it looked like they barely cleared but i didnt feel safe driving it with so much of the hub-centric lip being covered. So i was thinking of getting 15mm spacers. Anybody have experience with how much space you need with these coilovers and shims? Also, how can I tell if I have enough clearance?

My Cars
    02/95 BMW 325is
    Not specific to the brand of coilovers, but some good info..

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-w...s-encyclopedia

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    You just need spacers, 47 offset is very high

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJM325is View Post
    Not specific to the brand of coilovers, but some good info..

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-w...s-encyclopedia
    Yeah I have read through that and have learned quite a bit about spacers. Im just trying to figure out what size I need without having to rent the spacer kit. I tried an 8 and it looked like it would barely clear. So im hoping that 15mm will be good. And then with that i will have a hubcentric lip on the spacer, so i will feel better about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    You just need spacers, 47 offset is very high

Im hoping to get some 8x17s in the future with much less offset. But with this setup do you think that 15mm will be enough space?

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    AFAIK, if it clears at all you'll be okay. I ran my wheels with very little clearance between spring and tire for months and had no issues. That being said, I think the 15mm would be better as long as your wheels still fit inside your fenders (pretty sure it will).

Remember that you need extended lug bolts to match your spacers!

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bimmerr View Post
    Yeah I have read through that and have learned quite a bit about spacers. Im just trying to figure out what size I need without having to rent the spacer kit. I tried an 8 and it looked like it would barely clear. So im hoping that 15mm will be good. And then with that i will have a hubcentric lip on the spacer, so i will feel better about that.

Im hoping to get some 8x17s in the future with much less offset. But with this setup do you think that 15mm will be enough space?
    I'm not an expert on e36 fitments, but that should bring it right about where it should be. On 7 inch wheels an offset of 32 should be more then enough clearance on both sides

--- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    AFAIK, if it clears at all you'll be okay. I ran my wheels with very little clearance between spring and tire for months and had no issues. That being said, I think the 15mm would be better as long as your wheels still fit inside your fenders (pretty sure it will).

Remember that you need extended lug bolts to match your spacers!
    Yeah it should fit well. I measured about 30mm between the tire and the fender.

I'm not an expert on e36 fitments, but that should bring it right about where it should be. On 7 inch wheels an offset of 32 should be more then enough clearance on both sides

Thank you!

My Cars
    1994 325i

What about offset on an 8 inch wheel so i know what to look for in the future?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    35 or less should be fine to not rub on a 8 inch wheel .. i would go 30 to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Anything over 12mm on the spacer and you should be good. If you do less spacer you will need to get a set of hub extenders like I did.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1994 325i
    For anyone wanting to know or looking for this information in the future, I got the 15mm spacers and extended lugs on there and it clears the coilovers now. And heres pictures for anyone that wants to see.