Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Car Radiator

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 97 M3 Coupe

Track Car Radiator

How often do you guys replace stock (Behr) radiators in your track cars? I'm in the middle of installing Z3M oil cooler and need to replace its radiator or swap my daily's radiator over (radiator in my daily's is a Z3M radiator with about 3-4k miles and has tabs for the oil cooler). The current radiator has about 40k miles and 7 years old (it is a regular M3 radiator without provision for the oil cooler). It has been a full time track car only past 6-7k miles. I am thinking that I should just buy a new radiator, but I don't want to throw money away either.

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    this is a track car, then to me replace with aluminum rad no questions. i replaced my non leaking plastic unknown life and other plastic cooling stuff just to know its not going to cut short a weekend event.
    throwing away money is what we do, but sometimes its insurance for reliability.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 97 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredbyg60 View Post
    this is a track car, then to me replace with aluminum rad no questions. i replaced my non leaking plastic unknown life and other plastic cooling stuff just to know its not going to cut short a weekend event.
    throwing away money is what we do, but sometimes its insurance for reliability.
    I'm not interested in aluminum radiators as cheap ones are junk and nice ones are too expensive. I had Mishimoto one time for my daily, and it started leaking after 2 years. I know that I could spend 1000 for a nice one, but I am not looking to spend 1k for a radiator. I am definitely leaning towards getting a new radiator though instead of swapping...

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Radiators are a wear item. Replace every few years for piece of mind and cheap insurance. Use OEM 3 row from the S54 Z3M (IIRC). I use it in my track car after blowing a crappy aluminum like yourself.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    Radiators are a wear item. Replace every few years for piece of mind and cheap insurance. Use OEM 3 row from the S54 Z3M (IIRC). I use it in my track car after blowing a crappy aluminum like yourself.
    This. A new Behr radiator every 3 or 4 years...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    4.5 years, 35k miles, and quite a few track days on my mishimoto. I feel lucky. But I agree with the above, I plan to replace it soon as a preventative maintenance item, and I'll use a Behr 3 row radiator.

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    whatever you replace with, please avoid KOYO. Their radiators are crap and their "lifetime warranty" is BS.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I LITERALLY just made a note to myself last night to buy a new radiator. I walk into garage this morning, and here's what I find:

Luckily, I found a fairly loose hose clamp where the leak was. Hoping that's all it was!!!
    Track day this weekend.
    Ordering a Z3M replacement today!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    whatever you replace with, please avoid KOYO. Their radiators are crap and their "lifetime warranty" is BS.

I concur!!
    Last edited by jakermac; 03-21-2017 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    no problems with my Koyo..but much cooler track temps than with the previous Mishimoto alum radiator. Probably due to the larger capacity of the Koyo.
    In fairness, Mishimoto also makes a large capacity radiator but it was much more expensive than the Koyo
    Last edited by Haifisch M3; 03-22-2017 at 01:46 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineM345 View Post
    I'm not interested in aluminum radiators as cheap ones are junk and nice ones are too expensive. I had Mishimoto one time for my daily, and it started leaking after 2 years. I know that I could spend 1000 for a nice one, but I am not looking to spend 1k for a radiator. I am definitely leaning towards getting a new radiator though instead of swapping...
    where did yours leak? repairable?
    miles?

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 97 M3 Coupe
    where did yours leak? repairable?
    miles?
    Unfortunately I already tossed the aluminum one. Sorry!

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    My mishimoto also started leaking. Back to Behr Z3M now.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    My mishi radiator is fine after 8 years of service. I upgraded to a koyo for the larger capacity and its been fine so far(a little over a year). Ive read about the failures and still gambled. I hope it doesnt crap out, its a really nice piece.

I didnt notice much change in coolant temps. Im NA with a oil cooler and have a lower temp thermostat and spal fan, so maybe thats why.

Alpine, if i were in your shoes, i would just buy a new oem Z3M radiator. Leave the used one in its current car.
    Last edited by hc1001; 03-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    But you will spend $2k to get your head gasket replaced. Zionsville makes really nice ones in the $600 range.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    i was asking about these aluminum leaking, where are they leaking for you guys?
    so i can keep a close eye on mine.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    How often do you guys replace stock (Behr) radiators in your track cars? I'm in the middle of installing Z3M oil cooler and need to replace its radiator or swap my daily's radiator over (radiator in my daily's is a Z3M radiator with about 3-4k miles and has tabs for the oil cooler). The current radiator has about 40k miles and 7 years old (it is a regular M3 radiator without provision for the oil cooler). It has been a full time track car only past 6-7k miles. I am thinking that I should just buy a new radiator, but I don't want to throw money away either.

Thanks in advance!
    I have a C&R in my M3 from Bimmerworld. It works great.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/Radiators/

Feff

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    i was asking about these aluminum leaking, where are they leaking for you guys?
    so i can keep a close eye on mine.
    Mine was a dribble where the core meets the end tank.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Mine was a dribble where the core meets the end tank.
    Ditto. I have a nice green plume down the end tank where it's been leaking since about 8 months after I got it. I tried the warranty claim avenue. No dice. Several "reasons" why it wasn't covered.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    My Mishi started leaking right in the middle of the rad, right in front of the water pump on the inner side. I don't have a fan so I'm not quite sure how that happened. It was purchased by the previous owner so there was no warranty.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I've had no issues with a stock rad. They're cheap, and they easily last 5-6 years.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post

I concur!!

Curious why you've drawn this conclusion?

I did the Koyo HH, Stewart, aluminum water neck and samco hoses and couldn't be happier? I ran an entire season (ten events) of Time Trials with daily driving duties and the thing never goes over halfway point. I should mention I also removed the mechanical fan and only using the Auxiliary fan. This is southern California track temps on top of that. 105 ambient (max 116 at chuckwalla).

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    ^I think it's because of personal experience. If you don't have any issues then the radiator must be good, but if you do have issues then it's crap. It can take some time before enough people start to realize the product isn't very good. Only after years of use and hardly any negative feedback can you say this product is good. In some cases based on the materials used and build process you can predict if something is going to be good or not.

The OE radiator has been in use for long enough with too many reports of failure and in a big way, but the guy above says he hasn't any issues for at least 5-6 years. He's blind to the fact it's a ticking time bomb especially on the track as some people have reported new OE rads failing on the first lap. All radiator warranties are BS regardless even if you will get your $200 back after it fails. In the meantime you're stuck and now you might be in for a $2k head gasket job that isn't covered under that warranty.

Again if MY radiator hasn't failed then it MUST be good. Poor logic IMO.

Oh, and there is the "if you read it on the internet then it must be true" since everyone is speaking the truth. LOL

My Cars
    02 M3
    I've ran a KOYO for 3 years now, with the S50 and now LS6. Coolant temps are consistently below 220.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Oem radiators consistently last 70k miles. As long as you rcan place them every 5-6 years you'll be fine.

Shit, the one I pulled out of the M3 I recently bought had a 2004 date stamp on it. Wasn't leaking, that said, I replaced it anyways...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast