Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Alpine White Edition" 320i Sport on Bring A Trailer

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    Hmmm, sounds as if we're on to something. Alpine Editions are apparently rarer than M1s and E30 M3 Evos. Time to paint my wheels and mirrors white. Nobody will know it's a counterfeit. Except you guys.

My Cars
    2011 328i, 1983 320iS
    I have a piece of my car's original window sticker which could just add more confusion to this discussion. The dealer charged for fog light guards, air dam and A/C as add-ons but I don't see any charge for the white treatment. I thought some of those parts were included in the IS package. Maybe it was just bogus dealer markups
    .IMG_20170323_221117727.jpg
    Last edited by LemansBlau; 03-23-2017 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by LemansBlau View Post
    I have a piece of my car's original window sticker which could just add more confusion to this discussion. The dealer charged for fog light guards, air dam and A/C as add-ons but I don't see any charge for the white treatment. I thought some of those parts were included in the IS package. Maybe it was just bogus dealer markups
    .IMG_20170323_221117727.jpg
    Yours being an '83 is why you were able to get bits and pieces of the iS package. It's not actually an iS car though.

I found this screenshot, similar to the one i had a picture of on my phone, it's from the 3 Series Spotters Guide. I just realized that it didn't mention the 2500 production run in there, or any production numbers at all. I do know i saw that number somewhere else besides Jeroen's site.. just can't remember where. There was a PDF online of it at 77e21.info, but it looks like that website is gone. Shame, seems that a lot of the sites which host the info we lean on as collectors and enthusiasts are starting to disappear.

Attachment 596085

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    2011 328i, 1983 320iS
    I believe that mine is an IS car. It has the larger toolkit, no trunk badges, black Recaros, rear sway bar, airdam, fogs and LSD.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    I believe that mine is an IS car. It has the larger toolkit, no trunk badges, black Recaros, rear sway bar, airdam, fogs and LSD.
    .. yeah, those tick all the boxes of an iS car,... wow... ok, now I'm officially lost. Again, I'd have to go back to '82 and '83 being the years of people being able to pick some or all of the options when purchasing, but not in '81. This could be why some people have Henna and Bronzit cars with iS bits on them.

The lack of easy to pull up manufacturer info backing the production numbers, or a VIN decoder that is informative enough to tell what is what, isn't helping sort this out at all.

I'm beginning to think the 2500 number we have seen floating around is mainly '81 cars with the iS package and in one of the 3 Black , White, or Silver colors.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    I have a white '83 parts shell that will be going to scrap at some point soon due to rust around windows, etc. But it has the white mirrors, large tool kit missing most of the tools, no trunk badge, white basket weave wheels, fog lights, black IS air dam. Differential and seats had been removed before I got it. I would think it has the larger front sway bar. I could go measure it. So you mean with all this it may not have been a "true IS"?

here's the picture, white one - http://www.flickr.com/photos/6773670...posted-public/

Here's the '81 polaris silver one - http://www.flickr.com/photos/6773670...posted-public/
    Last edited by okieflats; 03-23-2017 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by okieflats View Post
    I have a white '83 parts shell that will be going to scrap at some point soon due to rust around windows, etc. But it has the white mirrors, large tool kit missing most of the tools, no trunk badge, white basket weave wheels, fog lights, black IS air dam. Differential and seats had been removed before I got it. I would think it has the larger front sway bar. I could go measure it. So you mean with all this it may not have been a "true IS"?

here's the picture - http://www.flickr.com/photos/6773670...posted-public/
    You more than likely have all of the iS bits like LemansBlau does, .. but still dont know what to call '82 and '83 cars true iS or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo, found it:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hs...i/1860368.html

In 1981, the 320iS ("S" for "sport") launched; this limited-run model featured the same 1.8L driveline as the standard 320i and the same power output, but added limited-slip differential, Recaro seats, a more sporting suspension featuring a thicker front anti-roll bar and a rear anti-roll bar, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, a special air dam, special cross-lace alloy wheels, an AM/FM cassette deck, dual-operation manual sunroof, fog lamps and a deluxe tool kit. Roughly 2,500 were built.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    I thought they came in Henna also, ... not true. You must have an '82.

Pic of your trunk? would like to see the model designation area. By '82, the 'iS' package parts were individually available.

I worked at a BMW dealership in the early 80s.
    I can assure you that the IS was available in Henna. It was actually a very popular color for the IS, esp. here in So. Cal.
    They're still all over the place.
    Although maybe it's semantics. I suppose cars could have been delivered with every single IS option, but not have those options bunched together as the "Sport Package" on the paperwork. I only saw the cars, not the paperwork.
    But that seems a little unlikely, given that there does not seem to be any others made with all those options in any color other than white, black, silver, red or in '83 bronzit.
    Also, I don't know if the model badge delete was a US available option on the E21. I think that was an IS only thing.

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/49k...982-bmw-320is/
    http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/198...h-37000-miles/
    http://downtownmotorcarsales.com/bmw...t-package.html
    https://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/10...4#.WNSQsPnytM0

Here's some pics of my Henna IS's trunk. The paint on the underside is all original. It's never had holes drilled for the emblem. Virgin sheetmetal in that area.

IMG_5654.JPGIMG_5653.JPG

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalE21 View Post
    I worked at a BMW dealership in the early 80s.
    I can assure you that the IS was available in Henna. It was actually a very popular color for the IS, esp. here in So. Cal.
    They're still all over the place.
    Although maybe it's semantics. I suppose cars could have been delivered with every single IS option, but not have those options bunched together as the "Sport Package" on the paperwork. I only saw the cars, not the paperwork.
    But that seems a little unlikely, given that there does not seem to be any others made with all those options in any color other than white, black, silver, red or in '83 bronzit.
    Also, I don't know if the model badge delete was a US available option on the E21. I think that was an IS only thing.

http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/49k...982-bmw-320is/
    http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/198...h-37000-miles/
    http://downtownmotorcarsales.com/bmw...t-package.html
    https://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/10...4#.WNSQsPnytM0

Here's some pics of my Henna IS's trunk. The paint on the underside is all original. It's never had holes drilled for the emblem. Virgin sheetmetal in that area.

IMG_5654.JPGIMG_5653.JPG
    Interesting. I wonder if cars that got the rear spoiler lip ended up with trunks with no holes for model badges?

I have never seen nor heard of a Henna Red 1980 or 1981 320iS. All of the ones I've seen were '82 or '83.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    That rear spoiler isn't stock. It was added a few decades later.

My Cars
    '07 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by okieflats View Post

SOLD ON 3/23/17 FOR $6,300

wally509 215
    Not sure what held this back, figure it would make at least $7500, maybe even $9000 or $10,000 given the condition, functioning a/c and the maintenance. Was it the miles?

An alpine white ’82 sport package with non-functioning a/c and a one line craptacular description just made $10,500 a couple months ago, but it had 67k miles.

You're a real wordsmith Wally.
    Thanks okieflats. I should have said that was ebay and the transaction was completed, positive feedback left.
    "Wally" Casten - 1956 Austin-Healey 100, 1985 M-B 300SD, 1987 911 Carrera, 1997 Triumph T509

"The more things change, the more they SUCK" -Butt-Head (Mike Judge)

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if cars that got the rear spoiler lip ended up with trunks with no holes for model badges?

I have never seen nor heard of a Henna Red 1980 or 1981 320iS. All of the ones I've seen were '82 or '83.
    If enough brews maybe I'll sand my trunk lid for badge holes I'm not using the lid anyways for the build, just a aluminum sheet pinned on. I do however remember sanding down bro's car back then for paint. It had holes, along with some bullet holes in the trunk lid hence why was painted over black. It was a 80 model. I remember fighting with Dad on the wiring since it didn't match anything we've seen before especially for the headlights and it may of been a non-US car. Was bought from a Jamaican guy in south Asheville mid 90's. Car was faster than stock, had a cam upgrade in it.

What are you guys all getting at with the Alpine? If rare I've always thought the Henna was the rare E21. But maybe that's cause it was sold more on West coast than East. Maybe the Alpine was sold more on the East.

I gave away an original brochure for the 320. Someone here probably has one and they were available on ebay early 2000's. Maybe it has some things to add.

here's the one I had like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-BMW-320...5YFrXN&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by autox320; 03-24-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    2011 328i, 1983 320iS
    OK so question about value: Does the iS package add significant value to the car? What about the "Alpine" appearance package? My car looks exactly like the one on BAT and honestly I paid $1500 for it a year ago. To me it's fun to tinker around with it but $6300 seems like crazy money.

My Cars
    '07 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

I gave away an original brochure for the 320. Someone here probably has one and they were available on ebay early 2000's. Maybe it has some things to add.

here's the one I had like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-BMW-320...5YFrXN&vxp=mtr
    Yes, I have one. It's the original copy they gave my Dad back in 1982 when he bought his car. I saved it all these years because we loved that car so much (yes there is something wrong with me).

For the "sport" package it lists:
    1. ...addition of rear torsion bar stabilizer and larger front torsion bar stabilizer.
    2. Limited slip differential
    3. Light alloy wheels of the same design as the 633CSi in 5+1/2 x 13 inch size.
    4. Integrated front spoiler.
    5. Recaro seats in a choice of black cloth or leatherette
    6. a handsome leather covered sports steering wheel and gear shift knob
    7. Manually operated dual position sunroof
    8. Fog lights
    9. AM/FM stereo cassette radio with four speakers (Tech 1 shown)
    10. Deluxe tool kit.

No mention of any "Alpine" package. Print date of brochure 2/81.
    "Wally" Casten - 1956 Austin-Healey 100, 1985 M-B 300SD, 1987 911 Carrera, 1997 Triumph T509

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    OK so question about value: Does the iS package add significant value to the car? What about the "Alpine" appearance package? My car looks exactly like the one on BAT and honestly I paid $1500 for it a year ago. To me it's fun to tinker around with it but $6300 seems like crazy money.
    The S parts are crazy valuable, the fact that they're original to the car, not so much. There's no way to actually prove if a car was a real S or not, so it's impossible for them to ever achieve 'numbers matching' status like hemi-cobra-whatever US cars. So basically it's the value of the car, plus the value of the S parts. Condition makes the biggest difference in price. Some have gone over $10,000 with very low miles. A few even more.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    It will never be another hemi cud a, but I believe that I can prove my 83 is a real iS by the fact that 1. I have the original window sticker with the VIN. 2. The VIN matches my car and my car has all the S bits. The statement that cars after 81 had only bits and pieces of the sport package and therefore cannot be real is inaccurate. I read a lot of chatter on this forum but what I don't see is mention of sourcing to back up claims. A statement was made that dealers could add S pieces to a plain 320i. They could, but the sales brochure for the 1.8 l facelift cars does not show any of the S parts as being stand alone options. Likewise, the color brochure does not state what colors were available on iS models. As to the alpine white edition, they could have all been done by the dealers but who's to say BMW NA didn't have the factory make a batch or two of white cars with white painted wheels, mirrors, door handles, and air dams. You don't need part numbers, you need white paint. I'm going to the BMW Foundation in May, I'll ask them and see if they can get us an answer.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rabbit View Post
    It will never be another hemi cud a, but I believe that I can prove my 83 is a real iS by the fact that 1. I have the original window sticker with the VIN. 2. The VIN matches my car and my car has all the S bits.
    Sure it's convincing now, but if the market decided that an S was worth an extra $20k, it could all be faked easily. Repairing the trunk holes undetectably would be very easy, but so far is totally unnecessary. As of now the trunk holes are a convincing clue, but it won't stand the test of superfluous value.

BMW has never shipped anything that doesn't have a part number. That would be a nightmare for them.

My Cars
    1983 320i + 2014 M235i
    I wonder...

Since all of the "S" parts were bolt-on and after all these years, does it really matter if an upgraded e21 came from the factory as a true "S" package car?

If the car has all of the comparable parts: Recaros, large tool kit, LSD, nice air dam, upgraded alloys and suspension parts, etc., would it make the value of the car substantially less if it was not originally a factory "S" model?

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbclub View Post
    I wonder...

Since all of the "S" parts were bolt-on and after all these years, does it really matter if an upgraded e21 came from the factory as a true "S" package car?

If the car has all of the comparable parts: Recaros, large tool kit, LSD, nice air dam, upgraded alloys and suspension parts, etc., would it make the value of the car substantially less if it was not originally a factory "S" model?
    No, it doesn't matter. Because if it truly had ALL the IS parts (including the badge delete) there would be no way to know the difference.

My Cars
    83 320i/79 323i/'09 135i
    I'm sure my '83 got some factory "S" bits as options but no as a full "iS" package: Factory Recaro and sport steering wheel, but no large tool tray, no alloys, no lsd, no air dam and no rear bar.

My Cars
    '07 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalE21 View Post
    No, it doesn't matter. Because if it truly had ALL the IS parts (including the badge delete) there would be no way to know the difference.
    Tell that to someone who bolted all the LeMans kit bits onto a regular Austin Healey 100 and called it a 100M way back when everyone thought there was "no way to know the difference". Then the British Motor Heritage Trust sorted/cleaned up all the production records for Austin and figured out all the factory 100M cars had "louvered bonnet" listed under optional equipment. Now those two words on a certificate are worth about $100k. And most 100's today seem to have all the 100M stuff on it, yet the "factory M" cars are worth insanely more.

Ever heard the words "clone" or "tribute" at an auction? Those cars are never worth what a documented original are.

BMW has to know/have records somewhere of what cars left the factory with this option package.
    Last edited by wally509; 03-24-2017 at 08:54 PM. Reason: delete repeated word

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    It's really academic. We're talking about cars that are worth $10-12k tops. A nice plain vanilla 320i will bring more money than a clapped out iS. Is it worth "faking" an S. Probably not. Why do some cars have some S bits and some iS cars are missing parts? It's not because of dealer cobbling up cars, it's because 30+ years have taken their toll on these. Blame the 2002 guys. They covet our Recaros, LSDs, and 5 speeds and we've sold them. In the greater scheme of things, 2500 of anything car related is not rare, especially if it's an option package. It's all really a bit confusing. The top of mY window sticker says my car is a 320i Sport and then lists the sport package as an option. Taken literally this means that my iS has a sport pkg. Quite redundant. The car also has a/c but that's not on the sticker. Was there a "second sticker?" Maybe. I've got every other piece of paper that came with the car (to include the salesman's business card) but not the sales actual buyers order/invoice. But that doesn't mean the car doesn't have a/c or that Joe's Discount a/c Center installed it later. It just means that records are incomplete, lost, disposed of, etc. Guys with a lot more time on their hands have written books on cars a lot more significant than ours - a friend of mine did one on the MGA - and still didn't answer all the questions or solve all the mysteries. People get into fights over stuff like this at concours. It's really not worth it. Enjoy your car. If it happens to be "rare" or an oddball, good for you. I bought a used Chevy Tahoe a few years back that had Z71 (off-road pkg) badges on the sides. It was not a Z71 - not a pkg piece in site. But a quick look at the options it did have indicated it had a somewhat rare "comfort ride" suspension. Did a previous owner stick Z71 badges on it? Maybe. But did someone at the factory screw up? Given GM quality, more likely. Interesting story but it was just another Chevy Tahoe.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    I know you can get a "build sheet" from BMW and it lists some details- color, interior and dealership that sold the car originally. I do not know if BMW is able to pull the whole list of options the car came with (what was listed on the original sticker). Maybe dealers keep records of what they sold, I do not know. Also, it is possible that dealers would swap some parts (like wheels) for the buyer.

I was not able to get much info about my car other than the date of sale, color combo and a dealership code (not sure how to decode the number and figure our what dealership it was). I was not able to get the engine # or any specific details (options, whether it had a radio, etc).

As far as S "package" - as stated above, it was offered by BMW from 1980 or 81 as a "package". It is in the promotional brochures as a package, I have a few of these promotional brochures for a later model (1.8) and they clearly list the iS "package".

My understanding is that the early models has no iS "package" but you could order specific options separately. So you could order automatic gearbox and add recaros but keep standard equipment (no swaybar, no LSD, no sport steering wheel).

Later (1980+), BMW did not want to sell options individually anymore and they started what they have been doing for decades in the U.S. - package cars the way they want and sell them off the lot as is. For the e21 I think BMW offered either a base model with nothing or everything in an " iS package". Think of e36 era "sport", "cold weather", etc packages...

Max

My Cars
    '07 e92
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rabbit View Post
    It's really academic. We're talking about cars that are worth $10-12k tops. A nice plain vanilla 320i will bring more money than a clapped out iS. Is it worth "faking" an S. Probably not....
    Agreed, it's all really academic...now. Agreed, we're talking about cars that are $10-$12k tops...of course these cars we're talking about were $5-$6k tops a VERY short time ago. Agreed, 2500 units is not considered rare...well I agree to that in the A, B, or even C grade collector cars but in the D or below grade where these cars sit?? Agreed, a nice plain car will bring more than a clapped out iS but what about two cars in similar condition? My opinion from what I've seen is there's a 25% or so difference in value. Yes, not a big deal now, but what if they become $20k cars in another 5 years?

Ricochet, not trying to start a firestorm with you here just giving my perspective.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    My window sticker which I posted earlier says clearly at the top, "320is". I've looked at other window stickers for iS cars for 82 & 83 recently, they don't say 320is. Just 320i.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast