Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Alpine White Edition" 320i Sport on Bring A Trailer

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S

"Alpine White Edition" 320i Sport on Bring A Trailer

These were among the last E21s sold in the US. White iS with white painted mirrors and wheels. Bidding ends in 3 days, at $5000 now, and reserve is off. No affiliation. Buy it and have the only one at The Vintage in May.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    The only one at The Vintage unless I decide to bring mine

- - - Updated - - -

Also, FWIW, the true Alpine editions also had the door handles and the front air dams painted white.

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    You should bring it to The Vintage. There's still room for another 50 or so cars. Be sure to bring wheel cleaner.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Just had a conversation with the wife about that today as a matter of fact. I'm looking at the lodging now,.. it will be my first time there.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    There's no shortage of lodging in and around Asheville. Host hotel is actually in Fletcher, near the airport and Sierra Nevada Brewery. That should be a hint. Check out The Vintage Facebook page for more info. one of the other E21 guys is getting a group to park together, maybe a group photo, etc.

My Cars
    1978 320i
    253,000 miles and going, gotta love the old m10. very few contemporary engines could replicate that performance...

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny G. View Post
    Also, FWIW, the true Alpine editions also had the door handles and the front air dams painted white.
    No such thing, they were all dealer modified, and as such could have any color anywhere. If you don't believe me, produce the part number for a white painted wheel.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    No such thing, they were all dealer modified, and as such could have any color anywhere. If you don't believe me, produce the part number for a white painted wheel.
    Ok so a few months back I set out to do my homework in this field. I spent over 2 hours talking about E21s (and other models of the era) in detail with a representative from BMW Classic. This very topic of "dealer special editions" came up... Here is a summary of what I was told.

The original concept of special editions for E21s came circa late-'80 into '81 when BMW started with the Edition 'M', Edition 'S' (Not the iS), Edition 'E', JPS Edition, Alpine edition, etc. For example, the 320 "iS" package was specifically made up at the dealer for the US market. Most of the documentation referred to the package as "Sport", but that in of itself created confusion in '82 & '83 when many of the individual "iS" package parts were as an option individually without being an Sport package (ie, Recaros, suspension, LSD)

Dealerships at the time and up until the end of E28 production had a lot of control over the "options" given to cars (ie. radio, A/C, sunroof, etc). Manufacturers would later take over that task and handle customer options pre-dealer delivery, rather than post-dealer delivery that they did all through the 50's-late 80s'. This is how "Individual" was born. The first customer "Individual" car was an E28. Think of the models that BMW was sending "knock down kits" or KD kits to other regions for their cars... similar concept, but instead with part packages. Wheels were ALWAYS an option to be painted at the dealer.. they just weren't attached to any specific special edition that they were offering. You could have asked the dealer to paint your BBS Mahles all black if you desired, but it wouldnt have been considered "special edition". Turbo kits were also installed at dealerships in the same fashion. BMW dealerships of that era were a much different experience than what has been in the last 25ish years.

The original DEALER Alpine Editions had:
    Painted power mirrors
    Painted door handles
    Painted front air dam
    Upgraded Alpine cassette AM/FM radio (not sure which model)

What I learned from the BMW Classic rep is that the "Alpine Edition" actually started out as a stereo package, and grew as people played on the theme of "Alpine White".

Wheels were not included, but many may have chosen to paint them white as well.

Lamborghini has been known to do the very same thing up until the 90s.

So yes, you are right.. no such thing.... but they do exist.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Hey that's weirdly factual. I usually end up in a fight over these 'cocaine edition' cars with people who can't understand the difference between the dealer and the factory.

I'd be hesitant to say that they always include any particular thing though. It was a different world before the internet. Unless one dealer phoned all the others, how would they know if everyone is painting the door handles or not? I don't personally believe the Alpine edition was authorized or facilitated by BMW in the same way as the S, E, and M editions. It's just paint anyway, you don't actually need any parts from BMW to build one. I'd be interested to see proof to the contrary, but the proof is probably long lost regardless of which is true.

Furthermore, it's impossible to know what has happened to the cars since they were new. I've seen plenty with white grilles for example. Was that done at the dealer, or later on? Who knows.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Hey that's weirdly factual. I usually end up in a fight over these 'cocaine edition' cars with people who can't understand the difference between the dealer and the factory.

I'd be hesitant to say that they always include any particular thing though. It was a different world before the internet. Unless one dealer phoned all the others, how would they know if everyone is painting the door handles or not? I don't personally believe the Alpine edition was authorized or facilitated by BMW in the same way as the S, E, and M editions. It's just paint anyway, you don't actually need any parts from BMW to build one. I'd be interested to see proof to the contrary, but the proof is probably long lost regardless of which is true.

Furthermore, it's impossible to know what has happened to the cars since they were new. I've seen plenty with white grilles for example. Was that done at the dealer, or later on? Who knows.
    Oddly enough, the S, E, and M were the only actual BMW facilitated option packages for the E21 of the early '80s... and even they contained aftermarket parts such as the heckblende (some Hella, some Sacex), all of the different air conditioning kits, etc. I remember hearing about other period aftermarket parts being sold at dealerships as well such as rear window louvers.

The JPS edition to me was a strange thing in terms of facilitating,... BMW in collaboration with JPS sent a limited amount of option packages that contained numbered limited edition plaques & badging, and specifically color matched gold trim from JPS to the Aussie market. You will never find the JPS steering wheel center, gold striping, or C pillar badges in a BMW catalog.

Going on what I remember being told to me by family members that lived through the '70s, the US was just starting to get into the whole "Ultimate Driving Machine" mentality by 1980, but mainly the E21 loving finance world weekend racing yuppies of the time wanted to play their disco music as loud as possible while they were "skiing the alps"... this drove up the Alpine radio requests. The whole "Alpine Edition" E21's are a US ONLY thing. Calling them "cocaine edition" cars is a good one, and much more fitting considering the era.
    Last edited by Manny G.; 03-22-2017 at 05:02 PM.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Car looks just like Alpine 83is when I bought it in 99. Only exception is someone before me had 15x7 on all four corners. After my brother owning a Alpine 80is, I had to have it. Drove down to GA and picked it up.

BTW if you guys are in town and head for brews at Sierra Nevada hit me up. I live near the Disneyland of Beer.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Manny, do you know if these "Alpine edition" cars always had black interiors and iS pieces? Was it for 81-83 only or 1980 could have had it?

Max

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    hey manny, your avatar looks just like a young pre-Caitlyn bruce jenner
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl556 View Post
    Manny, do you know if these "Alpine edition" cars always had black interiors and iS pieces? Was it for 81-83 only or 1980 could have had it?

Max
    For a car to have been considered Alpine Edition, it would have had to have the white painted front air dam which was an iS piece. Black RECARO sport interior (leatherette or cloth) were iS pieces only available on the manual iS package cars which had an air dam in the US. It started mid-80 until end of production in 83.

iS cars only had dark gray Recaro cloth (anthracite) or black leather as option. No other colors for iS cars option cars. iS package became available 08/80 I believe.. and that is when next model year production starts, so I'd doubt a 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    hey manny, your avatar looks just like a young pre-Caitlyn bruce jenner
    It is a young pre-Caitlyn Bruce Jenner, modelling an M-team jacket when he drove an M1 in 1980 at the 12 hours of Sebring.. he had tranny issues though and didnt finish. *rimshot*

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    was it really 1980, i thought i remembered bruce joining imsa the same year i did in 81, but I'm sure you're right. why do you have a pre-caitlyn bruce jenner modeling a 'M' jacket as your avatar?
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    For a car to have been considered Alpine Edition, it would have had to have the white painted front air dam which was an iS piece. Black RECARO sport interior (leatherette or cloth) were iS pieces only available on the manual iS package cars which had an air dam in the US. It started mid-80 until end of production in 83.
    iS cars only had dark gray Recaro cloth (anthracite) or black leather as option. No other colors for iS cars option cars. iS package became available 08/80 I believe.. and that is when next model year production starts, so I'd doubt a 1980
    Both cars I've had were black front airdams(still have one). IS everything, black leatherette recaros(for sale). I wasn't aware it may of started with the Alpine system that came in them and always thought it too was the Alpine white paint code. It seems strange reading this thread cause we never thought twice about it. Always just said yup it's an "is". Only later in mid 2000's heard it was a Alpine is. My bro's when bought was black but later when we went to paint it found out it was white underneath. Both cars also had white vinyl headliners, but I'm not sure if any other 320 had that either. I later sprayed my headliner black to mimic M cars which all had black headliner.

You guys make me want to try and scan in some old pics during the first year of ownership. Anyways it's the same car in my current build thread.
    Last edited by autox320; 03-23-2017 at 05:18 AM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S

It is a young pre-Caitlyn Bruce Jenner, modelling an M-team jacket when he drove an M1 in 1980 at the 12 hours of Sebring.. he had tranny issues though and didnt finish. *rimshot*

The only iS interior choices (per my sales brochure) were black vinyl or grey cloth. Black cloth was not available, nor was leather in any color. Also per the sales brochure, all iS cars were manual transmission. Automatics were not available.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    I cant believe this thing is sticking at $5,000. I still cant believe how little the E21 has appreciated over time...

The good piece of that is the cost of entry is so low it allows for a lot of modding and upkeep.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    was it really 1980, i thought i remembered bruce joining imsa the same year i did in 81, but I'm sure you're right. why do you have a pre-caitlyn bruce jenner modeling a 'M' jacket as your avatar?
    Long story, but it ended up circling around a terrible M3 transmission conversion joke yesterday and a friend took my laptop and made it my avatar. I actually didnt notice it until you replied to my post LOL

Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    Both cars I've had were black front airdams(still have one). IS everything, black leatherette recaros(for sale). I wasn't aware it may of started with the Alpine system that came in them and always thought it too was the Alpine white paint code. It seems strange reading this thread cause we never thought twice about it. Always just said yup it's an "is". Only later in mid 2000's heard it was a Alpine is. My bro's when bought was black but later when we went to paint it found out it was white underneath. Both cars also had white vinyl headliners, but I'm not sure if any other 320 had that either. I later sprayed my headliner black to mimic M cars which all had black headliner.

You guys make me want to try and scan in some old pics during the first year of ownership. Anyways it's the same car in my current build thread.
    No E21 came with black headliner. Add to that, just about all cars prior to E30s had the same light grey almost white cloth headliner. The M1 had the same fabric from its dark gray seats as its headliner material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rabbit View Post

The only iS interior choices (per my sales brochure) were black vinyl or grey cloth. Black cloth was not available, nor was leather in any color. Also per the sales brochure, all iS cars were manual transmission. Automatics were not available.
    Leather was never an option on E21, correct, i meant leatherette which i often forget to specifically mention. The E12 528i DID have an actual leather option.

The specifics get deeper...

iS cars were ONLY available manual, yes, and also only available in dark grey Recaro cloth or black leatherette.. but another fact is that only 2500 of those iS cars are "FULL package" cars, and they are ONLY Alpine White, Black, or Polaris Silver.

Any other color E21 labeled an iS does not have a complete package.

dark grey cloth interior with Recaro sports seats (black leatherette optional)
    BBS front air dam and (optional) trunklid spoiler
    25% limited slip differential
    leather 3 spoke sports steering wheel
    leather shift knob (same one found on the M1)
    electric passenger side rear view mirror
    larger diameter front anti-roll bar
    rear anti-roll bar
    cross-spoke (BBS-BMW Motorsport style) 5.5x13” alloy wheels
    AM/FM stereo cassette radio
    front fog lights
    deluxe tool kit
    model designation deleted
    not available with auto transmission

The model designation deleted is one of the easiest giveaways for a REAL iS car. The trunk has holes for the model badge, and if remove, the holes are present. The holes would have to be covered up by a body shop or swap trunks with a real iS. If it says "320i" on the trunk, it's not an iS.

My particular iS had an M badge, and hand painted M pin striping down the sides from the dealer. I also have a full Alpine Edition.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    but another fact is that only 2500 of those iS cars are "FULL package" cars, and they are ONLY Alpine White, Black, or Polaris Silver.

Close, but not exactly right.

(1) The 2500 "full package" iS cars were also available in Henna Red (I have one).

(2) It was also available in Bronzit in 1983 only (had one of those too!)

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320

No E21 came with black headliner. Add to that, just about all cars prior to E30s had the same light grey almost white cloth headliner. The M1 had the same fabric from its dark gray seats as its headliner material.

Leather was never an option on E21, correct, i meant leatherette which i often forget to specifically mention. The E12 528i DID have an actual leather option.

The specifics get deeper...

iS cars were ONLY available manual, yes, and also only available in dark grey Recaro cloth or black leatherette.. but another fact is that only 2500 of those iS cars are "FULL package" cars, and they are ONLY Alpine White, Black, or Polaris Silver.

dark grey cloth interior with Recaro sports seats (black leatherette optional)
    BBS front air dam and (optional) trunklid spoiler
    25% limited slip differential
    leather 3 spoke sports steering wheel
    leather shift knob (same one found on the M1)
    electric passenger side rear view mirror
    larger diameter front anti-roll bar
    rear anti-roll bar
    cross-spoke (BBS-BMW Motorsport style) 5.5x13” alloy wheels
    AM/FM stereo cassette radio
    front fog lights
    deluxe tool kit
    model designation deleted
    not available with auto transmission

The model designation deleted is one of the easiest giveaways for a REAL iS car. The trunk has holes for the model badge, and if remove, the holes are present. The holes would have to be covered up by a body shop or swap trunks with a real iS. If it says "320i" on the trunk, it's not an iS.
    My particular iS had an M badge, and hand painted M pin striping down the sides from the dealer. I also have a full Alpine Edition.

My headliners were both white vinyl. Yeah I know none came with black, but all Motorsport era cars did so painted to mimic one. Besides white vinyl gets way dirty too easy

Both cars also were debadged true IS full package. hmm 2 of 2500.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalE21 View Post
    Close, but not exactly right.

(1) The 2500 "full package" iS cars were also available in Henna Red (I have one).

(2) It was also available in Bronzit in 1983 only (had one of those too!)
    I thought they came in Henna also, ... not true. You must have an '82.

Pic of your trunk? would like to see the model designation area. By '82, the 'iS' package parts were individually available.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i S
    I've seen the 2500 figure floating around for a while, no doubt circular reporting. Does anybody know the original source of the 2500 figure? Also, I have my original window sticker, will post a picture of it when I get home from vacation. On one hand (IIRC) the top of the sticker calls the car a 320i Sport, but it then gives the base price for a 320i and a line item for the optional sport package. Does anybody have the original paperwork/sticker for and Alpine Edition? I'm curious to see how the dealer treated it.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rabbit; 03-23-2017 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rabbit View Post
    I've seen the 2500 figure floating around for a while, no doubt circular reporting. Does anybody know the original source of the 2500 figure? Also, I hav my original window sticker, will post a picture of it when I get home from vacation. On one hand (IIRC) the top of the sticker calls the car a 320i Sport, but it then gives the base price for a 320i and a line item for the optional sport package. Does anybody have the original paperwork/sticker for and Alpine Edition? I'm curious to see how the dealer treated it.
    I've seen the 2500 figure quoted on more than one source, one is on Jeroen's E21 site... the other was in a booklet somewhere with BMW production specs. I have the picture somewhere of that page which I took myself, need to hunt through my phone for it.

This is my window sticker:

My Cars
    2011 328i, 1983 320iS
    I have one that looks exactly the same as the one on BAT, same white wheels and mirrors, too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast