Thread: Walnut blast at 55k

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i

Walnut blast at 55k

Hey everyone, about a month ago I got N54 with only 55k miles walnut blasted. Here are some before and after pictures. Overall impressions? Eh, I'm not too impressed. Yes I know it's just regular maintenance and not a mod, but with the way my valves looked and all the forum members saying they felt a big difference, I was expecting at least some improvement in the driving characteristics. None at all. Am I glad that I did it? Yes. However, I do wish I had waited on it and gotten something else with the money instead. But hey, at least it's one more thing checked off!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Even I had the same doubt. I have N55 motor with 77k miles on it. Although I took utmost care of the car most people said it will be full of gunks.
    I was hesitant in doing the walnut blasting as I never noticed anything wrong with the car. Always services by BMW and nothing but Shell Nitro plus gas.
    Still I did it as it's a good preventive maintenance. And as I Guessed there were not much build up there. It looked pretty clean. To be honest I felt little difference as it revvs little more freely but that just might be by butt feeling. It feels good to be preventive.
    So my conclusion (solely based on my case), it's not a Must thing to do as most people say ( not sure about N54 motor). If the cleaning process was easy and cost effective I wouldn't hesitate at all but given the complexity, time and cost it's not something you HAVE to do it unless the car reacts otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    Just had mine done at 60,000mi $550 at an Indy shop nearby.

I would rather spend the money on something go fast. I did buy the car used last year in October with 59,000.
    It will be stored every winter and mostly driven in summer on top down days. So, It's nice I guess to start fresh. I understand installing a catch can will help so plan on doing that. (I put one on my Dodge Ram and it's helped significantly with throttle body fouling which is a common problem)

The car was running fine before I took it in. It runs fine now. Might be a little more responsive but sometimes the Butt Dyno is more sensitive to procedures than actual occurrence.

B4Walnut1.jpegBAfterWalnut.jpeg
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    02 M3
    I'm at 57k on my 07 335i and have a slight rough idle. I cant tell if its a miss-fire or just bad carbon build up (no codes), it also feels sluggish when accelerating after a cold start (under 30 degrees) for the first 2-4 minutes of driving.

Did any of you guys experience those symptoms? I just did spark plugs and that didn't solve anything.

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by slides View Post
    I'm at 57k on my 07 335i and have a slight rough idle. I cant tell if its a miss-fire or just bad carbon build up (no codes), it also feels sluggish when accelerating after a cold start (under 30 degrees) for the first 2-4 minutes of driving.

Did any of you guys experience those symptoms? I just did spark plugs and that didn't solve anything.
    try new coils.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    Just had mine done at 60,000mi $550 at an Indy shop nearby.

I would rather spend the money on something go fast. I did buy the car used last year in October with 59,000.
    It will be stored every winter and mostly driven in summer on top down days. So, It's nice I guess to start fresh. I understand installing a catch can will help so plan on doing that. (I put one on my Dodge Ram and it's helped significantly with throttle body fouling which is a common problem)

The car was running fine before I took it in. It runs fine now. Might be a little more responsive but sometimes the Butt Dyno is more sensitive to procedures than actual occurrence.

B4Walnut1.jpegBAfterWalnut.jpeg
    It's most likely your brain trying to justify the 550 dollars you spent ��

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    The N54 carbons much worse than the N55. I don't know why everyone always mentions using good fuel or fuel additives to address the carbon. It's a DFI engine, THE FUEL NEVER TOUCHES THE VALVES. Some engines have enough carbon to cause problems at 40k, and some won't require cleaning until much later. Rough idle could be carbon, coils, injectors, vacuum leak, etc. It's difficult to know which without pulling codes, and having a look at the valves. It's really not a bad DIY if you own a decent air compressor.

My Cars
    02 M3
    There are no codes, i can get walnut blasting done for around $350 with a local guy so ill eliminate that first.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    if u are still looking, we found out a German company recently released a new product that replaces the walnut shell, and the positive about it u don't need to take the intake manifold off, process takes around 2 hours instead of 4-5 hours with walnut, I got mine from there local website:
    https://goautoprofi.com/products/car...nt=41550902412
    and it worked great and cleaned combustion chamber, valves & intake manifold as well product name carbon X from bluechem...

https://youtu.be/60OkhMccTVE

My Cars
    02 M3
    walnut blasting on my car only took 3hrs and i didnt have to do a thing....i might have it pretty good though a local guy does it out of his garage for 325$

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    Your amount of buildup is minimal, and I can see why you don't feel any difference. Look at some other pics of people's ports that really needed the treatment, they are so gooed up it's crazy.

My 08 135i needed it at 40k miles, and you pretty much couldn't see through the ports they were so clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Iftekar View Post
    Even I had the same doubt. I have N55 motor with 77k miles on it. Although I took utmost care of the car most people said it will be full of gunks.
    I was hesitant in doing the walnut blasting as I never noticed anything wrong with the car. Always services by BMW and nothing but Shell Nitro plus gas.
    Still I did it as it's a good preventive maintenance. And as I Guessed there were not much build up there. It looked pretty clean. To be honest I felt little difference as it revvs little more freely but that just might be by butt feeling. It feels good to be preventive.
    So my conclusion (solely based on my case), it's not a Must thing to do as most people say ( not sure about N54 motor). If the cleaning process was easy and cost effective I wouldn't hesitate at all but given the complexity, time and cost it's not something you HAVE to do it unless the car reacts otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 Z3M, 13 x3
    I’ve been having tons of rough idle and misfire issues- all at idle and low revs. So I’m having a walnut blast done and hoping it fixes the issue. Btw I have 170,000 miles.
    2001 M Roadster/ Race Shark/ Supersprint headers & pipes/ UUC Aluminum Flywheel + M5 Clutch/ 3.46 Final Drive . . .

WTB: E28 in excellent condition- PM me

My Cars
    02 M3
    I felt more throttle response when i had mine done at 55k. Get some coils and plugs from FCP Euro.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    I did mine out of standard process (180,000KM) when obtaining a new (to me) N54.
    My intakes and valves were terrible. Ended up shiny.
    Still, no performance impact at all. I have the same little hiccups, which after plugs and coil packs, I'm looking at injectors/fuel pump.

That cleaning substance and process does look interesting.
    I figure it may even work if done every 6 to 12 months.

(Mine just runs rougher for the first few minutes and is worse in cold. No issues when up to temp.)
    Last edited by Codes2; 08-30-2018 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    525i, MGA, 635csi, e91
    Agreed very interesting.

My Cars
    n/a
    Is this only something that should be done with the turbo engines?

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Direct injection engines. Which as it happens is currently pretty much the same for BMWs. Won't always be, and isn't for many other manufacturers.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    n/a
    Ah, ok, thank you