Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Australian GP @ Melbourne

My Cars
    WAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Or who takes the first turn and lead the race.

Or call out the safety car.
    yeah, there could be a few more scenarios, but a 50-60 lap race should be more than about 15 seconds of actual racing.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    yeah, there could be a few more scenarios, but all races should be more than about 15 seconds of actual racing.
    ftfy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    After thinking about it - the race was great only because someone other than Merc won. (I love that Seb won).
    However, there wasn't much racing going on
    Reminds me of 2000-2004 seasons, not much racing but F1 gained popularity simply because Ferrari was winning. What I believe is that Mercedes will sand bag few more races then unleash their full potential. I don't think they used their best performance program yet.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Reminds me of 2000-2004 seasons, not much racing but F1 gained popularity simply because Ferrari was winning. What I believe is that Mercedes will sand bag few more races then unleash their full potential. I don't think they used their best performance program yet.
    If Merc could have used it this weekend, they would have. They left nothing on the table, I promise you.

If Merc does get quicker it's because they've developed the car or better understood aspects of it (like setups generating a better balance for the driver and the tires, or gaining a fraction more reliable power) etc.

The more they understand their own cars the quicker they will be. They did not sandbag this weekend. Teams are, and will continue to be, a little cautious when it comes to PU components because they need to last 5 races this year. But that's the same for everyone and caution does not mean sandbagging.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    I'll give it a couple more races to see where Merc, Ferrari, RBR, and the rest will stand out as they tweak their cars progressively. I suspect some tracks are going to suit better to one or few cars while others will struggle.

I like the aero rules and love how fast these cars dart through the turns at insane speeds, but I fear they have overly worked on with these changes and made the cars too difficult to overtake. I think we need more pit stops too. Too early to judge anything right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still curious about RBR/Renault engine sound when drivers floor it coming out of turns. Is it just new turbos or some kind of engine mapping they've got that's making jet like sound or what?

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    because they need to last 5 races this year. But that's the same for everyone and caution does not mean sandbagging.
    And that's why the current engine limit for the season needs to be revised upward. At this point, it's like watching the first half of the MLB season....
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    And that's why the current engine limit for the season needs to be revised upward. At this point, it's like watching the first half of the MLB season....
    Yep agreed. The cost savings on 1 PU a season is totally a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still curious about RBR/Renault engine sound when drivers floor it coming out of turns. Is it just new turbos or some kind of engine mapping they've got that's making jet like sound or what?
    It could be the ECU spinning up the turbo in anticipation of the throttle being pressed to counter all turbo lag...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I was thinking more in the line of EBD thing ...

My Cars
    TBD
    I was thinking more in the line of EBD thing ...
    Exhaust Blown Diffusers are illegal....

(not that that means anything if they've found an interpretation that suits them)

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    I like how fast the new cars are, but I just don't see much passing this year with the aero changes and wider cars. Unfortunately, I think races will be won in qualifying and pit strategy.
    See, I have no problem with this, and I'm not entirely sure where the idea came from that more passing equaled more excitement.

The great races that stand out in my mind were those that involved one critical overtake (usually involving Michael and Mika).

How excited can you get when Joe Racer and Bobby Bahnstormer trade positions, every lap, in the DRS zones?

It's similar to what the NHL tried to do with hockey. Changed all the rules to encourage higher scoring games because, apparently, more goals = more exciting. Problem is when it becomes routine, it's no longer exciting.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    See, I have no problem with this, and I'm not entirely sure where the idea came from that more passing equaled more excitement.

The great races that stand out in my mind were those that involved one critical overtake (usually involving Michael and Mika).

How excited can you get when Joe Racer and Bobby Bahnstormer trade positions, every lap, in the DRS zones?

It's similar to what the NHL tried to do with hockey. Changed all the rules to encourage higher scoring games because, apparently, more goals = more exciting. Problem is when it becomes routine, it's no longer exciting.
    I see what you're saying, but there is a balance somewhere in-between that would make the races less of a procession. I think pit and tire strategies are just two parts of the equation.
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    I see what you're saying, but there is a balance somewhere in-between that would make the races less of a procession. I think pit and tire strategies are just two parts of the equation.
    Believe a lot of the complaints are very firmly rooted in the fuel restrictions, engine longevity requirements and Mickey Mouse tire management.

Bringing back refueling, alone, would have a fairly significant impact on position changes.

The teams need to be unshackled. That's really the bottom line, for me. Fans want to see these guys wringing out every last ounce of performance from a car that is built to go absolutely as fast as possible for exactly one lap longer than it needs to. When you know that's happening; that the driver in the car you're watching is laying it all out, that's something worthy of appreciation.

F1 races are sprints. Why are we conserving anything?
    Last edited by Stuttgart951; 03-28-2017 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Kimi meets Nicole Kidman in Melbourne, Kimi doesn't give a f**k:

BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Lol so smooth with the ladies: shakes hands, says hi, then looks around... Womp-womp.

Kimi Kidman.jpg

Someone even managed to add onto his Wikipedia page (it's gone now) something like "Nicole Kidman tried to hit on Kimi on the Melbourne race weekend but Kimi didn't give a flying f**k."

Or is it all Nicole's fault? I mean Kimi, Jimmy Fallon...who hasn't blown her advances off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MagneZium; 03-29-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    She's creepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    yay
    And gorgeous.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    She's creepy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd still hit it.
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cruise
    I'd still hit it.
    Aye.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Aye.
    I'm not sure Miscavige would allow it.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    I'm not sure Miscavige would allow it.
    She's not a scientologist anymore, is she?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    She's not a scientologist anymore, is she?
    No, but Cruise still is.

My Cars
    WAGON

I'm not saying there needs to be a ton of passing back and forth via DRS. Obviously that entirely defeats the purpose of racing. But if the only meaningful pass happens in the pits and most cars aren't able to really even follow within a second because of the dirty air being produced, how exciting is that?

Believe a lot of the complaints are very firmly rooted in the fuel restrictions, engine longevity requirements and Mickey Mouse tire management.

Bringing back refueling, alone, would have a fairly significant impact on position changes.

The teams need to be unshackled. That's really the bottom line, for me. Fans want to see these guys wringing out every last ounce of performance from a car that is built to go absolutely as fast as possible for exactly one lap longer than it needs to. When you know that's happening; that the driver in the car you're watching is laying it all out, that's something worthy of appreciation.

Agree with all of this here.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Because socially/environmentally conscious. Or something.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    I 100% agree that the sport is missing the all-out nature it needs. Just look at virtually any race from Goodwood; you can see those guys going all-out, and those races are genuinely thrilling. Some have a lot of passing, some don't, but the cars can get inches apart and stay there.

I realize it isn't directly helpful as F1 has to keep downforce, but I believe one unfortunate drawback to how much is required to maintain F1 speeds is it inherently reduced the "tossability" of the cars and the ability to follow closely. You can't have both, basically.

Also, is cost the main reason teams can't choose from any tire compound each race? That would open up a lot more potential strategies I think. Just make a rule that two compounds at least two "steps" apart must be used, or something like that.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast