Thread: 2010 528i with both halogen and xenon HID - angel eye bulbs?

My Cars
    2010 BMW 528i xDrive

2010 528i with both halogen and xenon HID - angel eye bulbs?

Ok so I had a "left low beam malfunction" a couple months ago, realized I had the factory-installed xenon HIDs, replaced both low beams with new HIDs. They work, but I still occasionally get the low beam malfunction that I got before. It's usually solved by turning the car off then on again.

Now I'm getting "left parking lamp malfunction" and the angel eyes on the left side are sure enough not working. Here's the thing: my high beams are standard H7 halogen bulbs (I can see them through the assembly). So when I go to purchase replacement angel eye bulbs, should I get the bulbs for xenon HID only, or for halogen bulb only? I'm sure the current angel eye bulbs are halogen, they have a sort of off-white color, not clear white like the xenon bulbs.

I'm also concerned it may be a wiring issue with the left headlight assembly, but I want to swap the bulbs first just to be sure. I recently had a reputable BMW mechanic perform a state inspection, he said that he got the angel eye bulbs to work by tapping the inside lightly, and that was good enough for him to pass it (thankfully) but I still need a permanent solution.

Any help is appreciated,
    Steve

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Ok. You have bi Xenon system. The Xenon has a shutter within the assembly and provides your Hi and Low beam lights. The h7 is the flash to pass bulb.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 528i xDrive
    Ok good to know. Then I'm assuming I can get a standard halogen angel eye replacement bulb? If that's the case, I can do that myself for relatively cheap.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xi
    jtb is right -- you have a bi-xenon car, and the "h7" bulb is only for flash to pass (i.e. when you pull the blinker stalk towards you).

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehrl View Post
    Ok good to know. Then I'm assuming I can get a standard halogen angel eye replacement bulb? If that's the case, I can do that myself for relatively cheap.
    I would check the owners manual or REALOEM.com for proper bulb number. My car is a pre LCI and came with a filament bulb, which I have sense upgraded to a LED. In your case, with a 2010, it would have come with a LED bulbs for the Halo rings.
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 03-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.