Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LS vs JZ vs FI BMW pros/cons

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    There's no way it's real though, the one side has exhaust tubes coming from the intake side of the head
    It's real, I just don't know if was ever finished.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/updat...humming-along/
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    this is going to be my next build

hrdp_0411_07_z-1957_chevy_bel_air-turbo_engine.jpg

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Keep an M52 around 400 and limit the S52 to 500 and they hold up pretty well though not as reliable as a factory turbo car unless you build the motor.

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Bingo. This is a great thread OP.

The jz transmissions are very expensive..however a r154 is no more expensive than a non-smg 420g. Also as mentioned there is the w58 for lower power swaps..which I don't understand why you would go through all of the swap work for 400hp or less unless it is for reliable drift purposes..and even still..I don't think I would.

All three options are fantastic emgine families..you can't go wrong with any of them. It really depends on your end goals and uses for it imho. I wanted big power..but planned to do it on a stock motor, which ended up being junk, so I had to build it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Do defend my 400whp note: https://youtu.be/Gu0xaxp92as?t=556 (about 9 min in if the time stamp doesn't work)

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    There's no way it's real though, the one side has exhaust tubes coming from the intake side of the head
    You can use an intake side as an exhaust side.

Guys do this on hot rods sometimes. They'll build two intakes where the headers go and then run the headers out the intake ports and up through the hood.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Later in the video I posted, Chelsea says 500whp is fine for pro2. wha

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    He's trying to make guys understand that consistency and placing top 8 is way more important to obtaining financial backing and rides than trying to drive at your limits in a car that DNF's because it's over built, just to try an podium every event.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I don't want to go OT on this thread. But I agree. proam you just want to get good. pro2 you need to place well. Get the financials before pro1

My Cars
    LS E46
    If you're in an E46, don't forget you have an alloy block, so that JZ is gonna add 100lbs just from the iron block alone.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    " In the USA, the M52 used an iron block (except for the M52B28 in the Z3 which was an aluminum block" my e46 was def iron block

My Cars
    LS E46
    E46 was all alloy blocks. The early ones in the 323/328 were the M52B**TU - the TU being technical update that it was dual vanos and alloy block. They were basically a drive-by-cable version of the M54. Believe it or not, the only E46 that got an iron block was the M3.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm guessing you were looking at the wikipedia page because if you read a bit farther down, you would have seen where it says "M52TU engines (which used an aluminum block in all markets) use revised cylinder liners, so are not affected by the Nikasil problem"

Your E46 was most definitely NOT an iron block.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I'd take a 100lb gain over a M54 all day. lmao
    all in all pro2 now has a 2900lb minimum weight. With a drift built chassis you'd be able to handle some of that weight
    Last edited by Press22; 04-06-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    LS E46
    Just because there's a minimum weight doesn't mean you just want the weight wherever, and you most certainly don't want the weight over the front wheels, you want it over the back wheels.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    Just because there's a minimum weight doesn't mean you just want the weight wherever, and you most certainly don't want the weight over the front wheels, you want it over the back wheels.
    With how much weight can be played with on a dedicated build I'm sure it's a negligible gain, and obviously plenty of people have made it work for them with success.
    prime example is all the 2JZ FRS/BRZ. Yeah the stock engine weighs less and has a lower center of gravity.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    E46 was all alloy blocks. The early ones in the 323/328 were the M52B**TU - the TU being technical update that it was dual vanos and alloy block. They were basically a drive-by-cable version of the M54. Believe it or not, the only E46 that got an iron block was the M3.

- - - Updated - - -

And I'm guessing you were looking at the wikipedia page because if you read a bit farther down, you would have seen where it says "M52TU engines (which used an aluminum block in all markets) use revised cylinder liners, so are not affected by the Nikasil problem"

Your E46 was most definitely NOT an iron block.
    Yep, you're right. Either way, that thing was junk haha

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    E46s motors are all aluminum. Can confirm from my experiences.

The issue with the iron block I6 is that the extra weight hangs in front of the axle. This arguably does more to effect handling than the lower engine placement. What makes it marginally "ok" is that BMW designed the car with an I6 in it to begin with so it's already placed the engine well enough in the engine bay that it shouldn't greatly negatively effect handling.

That said, the V8 would put basically all that behind the front axle.

Subsequently, lots of people put their heavy as fuark turbo bits in front of the engine. Which to me, is a big no no. Although if you want a twin turbo V8, your options are limited.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    My ls sits almost flush with the front of the strut tower, I measure 1-7/8" from the oil pressure sender to the firewall

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    Ah yes, the infamous discussion. I've weighed out my options for quite some time. Hell, I even bought a 1jz and ended up with a 2jz lol. Even though I ended up with a 2jz, LS engines are still rad. I've talked to some Pro Am guys that run inline 6s and drove an LS drift car and claimed control was much easier. I also talk to a Pro Am guy who ditched his LS for a 2jz and said he'd never go back. This was super inspiring to me.

Personally, I love boosted inline 6s. And I do love the sound of a 1jz but couldn't pass up that .5L displacement. I'm sure I'll love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I like the way my LS sounds
    Your driving style is rad! I love it.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
    1995/98 BMW S52 Powered 325is. --DriftSlut--
    Drift Build Thread:
    http:// www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...52-Drift-Build

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Question for ls guys, what spring rates are you running in the front? I haven't put my coils in the car yet, so Now would be an easy time to swap springs out

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Depends on the car and setup. I'm running 10k in the front right now with no sway bar. But I'm an E30 with an LS.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    10K up front as well.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Perfect, that's what my spare springs are. So that would mean a 12k rear then?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    *shrugs* taking a stab at it, you'd want your rear effective rate to be closer to 8k. I don't know the effective ratio of the rear of E36s. I'd think a 14k. Maybe stiffer if you aren't running a rear bar. But for more grip, a 12 sounds better to me.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    I have 12k in the back of mine.
    with uprated sways f&r, my car snaps into oversteer. Not a progressive thing at all. But my sways are set too stiff even for street/track use.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast