Thread: e36 steering wheel lock

My Cars
    M235 | M3 | 325Ci

e36 steering wheel lock

My e36 M3 is missing the lever to unlock the adjustable steering wheel. So the other day I started googling, because I wanted to fix that, and learned about the issue of the steering wheel lock. So now I am wondering, is drilling through the bottom plate to permanently disable the steering wheel lock a must for track cars? I have not had any issues, but of course having the steering wheel lock while tracking (or even in the canyons) is a nightmare scenario! My car is dual duty, weekend driver street and track. Any opinions?

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    I'm pretty sure for most "race cars" you have to remove the steering lock. I don't think people need to do that if you're just doing HPDE, but if you're swapping the steering wheel or moving ti a push button start, you should look into removing the pin.

It's not hard to do, but I don't think you can put it back in once you drill it out lol.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    It's missing because there is no lever.

ALL E36 cars should have the steering wheel lock removed (even if you drive like grandma) because sooner or later it will fail and you will be stuck.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    My steering wheel lock screwed up as I was backing out of my garage luckily. It could have been very ugly if it had decided to happen at any other time.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    325is, 750i, 328i
    How do I drill out the steering wheel lock? Simple instructions for a dumb a... is prefered.