Thread: BMW Key Fob Battery Replacement & Disassembly (VIDEO)

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6

BMW Key Fob Battery Replacement & Disassembly (VIDEO)

Video tutorial on how to disassemble a BMW key fob for button and battery replacement. This particular remote is from a 1997 BMW 540i, but it found throughout various BMW models and it changes slightly a couple years newer as it’s equipped with an LED, but the procedure is basically the same. Buttons can be purchased at aftermarket retailers such as Amazon or eBay. This particular remote takes 2 CR1220 batteries. I believe the newer version of this remote takes a single CR2016. If someone can confirm this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Tools/Supplies Needed:
    -two CR1220 batteries or one CR2016 battery
    -phillips screwdriver
    -standard/flat screwdriver
    -new replacement buttons
    -knife

Procedure:
    -first start by removing the small plastic cap covering up two phillips screws on the backside of the case using a small standard screwdriver
    -next remove the two small phillips screws.
    -now remove the backside of the case which will expose the internal components
    -this particular remote takes 2 CR1220 batteries
    -next use a standard screwdriver to pop out the internal components
    -there will be a small transponder as well, do not loose this
    -remove the old buttons, they’re actually moulded within the case, so technically they’re not supposed to be removable
    -you’ll have to push them through the front side back, even using the assistance of a razor knife
    -be extremely careful not to break the plastic frame around the button edge
    -you’ll have to clean these holes, just helps prevent any installation issues with the new buttons
    -for the new buttons, you’ll also need to trim enough space for the transponder and there is also a component on the circuit board which needs to have a spot cut out for on the button pad too
    -make sure you cut enough rubber out so it doesn’t deform the button pad, but not too much where it jeopardizing the structure of the button
    -push in the new button pad, you’ll need to slowly push it from the backside out to the front, pulling it from side to side, and careful not to scratch the finish on the new buttons from the plastic case
    -ensure it’s seated correctly and then you can install the transponder and finally the circuit board assembly
    -install the rest of the components in reverse of removal
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    The remote function on my 03 530 keys also stopped working. I checked the fuel door and it locked when the rest of the car locked so I assumed the battery was dead. I went on eBay and found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141949176700...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Its a drop in replacement battery for our remotes. The battery leads are in the correct orientation so no modding needed. Heat up the solder joints, remove the old battery, put new battery in and solder in. Done. After reinitializing the key, it worked just fine. Saved $200 from replacin the whole key. The only downside is that it ships usps and it takes a longer than I would like to get here. The seller gets it in the mail quick but usps is slooooow.

I used stuff to seal everything back up. The glue starts as putty so you can roll it nice and thin to place around the edges. Press the halfs together and use a razor blade to trim off the excess. Completely water proof. Really clean, no mess, unlike using regular glue or adhesive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets