Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I change my transmission fluid?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Amount of 'clutch-pack' wear....due to driver and terrain measure. A german BMW tech 'youtube' recommends a no filter change...just and drain and then top off!

I'm the lightest foot on the planet.........I've never blown a transmission..in any of the 60+ automobiles I've owned over the past 45 years..Am I doing something wrong by not blowing automatic transmissions? BMW uses a GM 5 speed automatic in my 03 three. It shifts perfectly. The car never climbed mountains, hauled trailers.

The reason I've posted this question now more than once...(nobody has info..but talk-talk) Is there on 'average' a problem flushing the GM 5 speed automatic transmission..that many here may have information? ..My 325xi wag.has 119k..
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-14-2017 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    If you're going to change your transmission fluid without changing the filter at that mileage, you may as well start changing your motor oil and reusing the old filter. Same principal.

As far as flushing goes, it depends on what you mean by flushing. This doesn't only apply to BMW transmissions. If by flushing, you are referring to simply replacing all of the fluid in the transmission, then I've never seen that to be a problem. On the other hand, if by flushing you are referring to some sort of apparatus being hooked up to the transmission circulation system and then shooting fluid through the transmission to "clean" it out, then yes, I've seen transmissions do some whacky things after such an operation. If you are looking for statistics, all I can offer is "talk-talk."

It's good to hear that you've never blown a transmission. In my youth, me and by buddies blew plenty of them and all of them shifted perfectly right up until they went.

I'm a bit confused now. Is this thread about whether you should change your transmission fluid or are you seeking answers to another question?

If you are still asking about whether you should change your transmission fluid, then yes. Change it. Continuing to run your transmission with fluid that's been in it for way over a decade isn't going to improve anything. If you change your fluid and happen upon the rare occurrence of the friction material all being suspended in the fluid causing slippage, then it will be that you needed work done anyway. If you decide not to change it, just start socking money away for either a rebuild or another transmission.

Hey, you could luck out. Based on what you said above, you may get 300k miles out of the car before the tranny quits.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Not to be rude, but you come in here and ask if you should change the transmission fluid and despite the best advice on the planet, you proceed to argue against doing it.

Your car has the GM A5S390R. Though its a strong peice, BMW transmissions nor the factory fluid they use are immune from the same problems all other transmissions have. Look at all the 3 series on craigslist with bad transmissions or better yet do a quick search of the people with trans problems on this site. Wouldn't you do EVERYTHING to ensure those problems don't happen to you? It starts and stops with the fluid. Transmission fluid sucks at retaining its viscosity after several thousand miles. Imagine not changing your engine oil or antifreeze for 14 years. Sure that method of maintenance works....until it doesn't anymore.

Or don't change it, I no longer care.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Strange how there isn't this much debate over engine oil change intervals.
    If you are anal about fluid condition and clutchpack wear, new fluid and filter changes annually, why not along with every oil change!
    Now, if your the average person, who drives under average conditions, who also drives an average amount of miles yearly(~10,000mi.),
    Should drain+fill+replace filter every 5yrs. I can't state it any simpler than that, now let's get on to the debate over what is the best fluid!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Hi, I know I'm beating a dead horse with a multiple of same questions. After posting this same question here and to others on another forum (yea I'm paranoid) but now I have now a much better understanding about it all. I will draw a sample and determine if it is 'burned atf' or just dirty atf. If unburned, I will pull the pan and replace the filter and then add back with new fluid leaving alone what's left inside the torque converter. I'll do another fluid only change next year, or in 10k..... However, if it is burned, I will top off if needed and leave it alone and start $aving up. ...Thanks for your responses..S

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    In response to your mention about... "strange how there isn't this much debate over engine oil change intervals" ...I disagree. While I spent 10 years online with the Benz forum Mercedesshop.Com, oil and oil filters in the diesel forum were a big hit! Diesels, unlike gassers, diesel engine oil is compromised additionally with soot deposits over and above gassers. A rule for MB diesels, 5 cyl, 617 and 6cyl, om603...using synthetic oil, it was determined and agreed by the majority to change at 5k intervals.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I agree, that seems like a reasonable interval for both, gas or diesel engines!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12