Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I change my transmission fluid?

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Should I change my transmission fluid?

An age old question...I did it with an Audi at 92k...the Audi now has 194k..never an issue...The 325 xi has 116.5 k.....I doubt I would consider at say 140k...
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 03-19-2017 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I did the flush and replaced a filter - no regrets. Car had 120K when I got it done, started to shift much smoother (GM tranny). Do change transfer case fluid as well.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    MLess5. I will consider torque converter too..thanks
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 03-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2005 325xi
    An age old answer:

Yes.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Anyone have any tips on finding the type of transfluid to use? I have been on top of everything else on my 2002 325i since I bought it but for the Trans and the Diff fluid which I am going to do in the next week or 2. I was told at the dealer I bought it from it was a sealed lifetime unit but have found out otherwise since. I am going to replace the fluid and the filter but it sounds like I have to take it in to find the transmission label before I can buy the fluid. My guy works out of his home garage, with lift. Would rather make one trip. The last 7 of my VIN is NG83834 I looked it up on some decoder site but am still confused, it says the fluid is 8.10 liter which means a quantity to me not the type.

Also can I use any differential fluid or does that need to be special too?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I know there's a lot of debate about whether to change the transmission fluid on a high mileage car, but I always opt to change it. The way that I look at is that if the trans fluid is old and burnt, it is no longer doing what it's there to do and your transmission is doomed to death anyway. If you change your transmission fluid and it quits shifting, the transmission wasn't right anyway, it's time for another or a rebuild. Not changing your fluid for fear that the transmission will quit shifting just leaves you at the mercy of the transmission, letting it decide when to strand you.

broncosteven, plug those VIN digits in at realoem.com and find which transmission it is that you have. The diagram will also tell you which tranny fluid to use.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
    Anyone have any tips on finding the type of transfluid to use? I have been on top of everything else on my 2002 325i since I bought it but for the Trans and the Diff fluid which I am going to do in the next week or 2. I was told at the dealer I bought it from it was a sealed lifetime unit but have found out otherwise since. I am going to replace the fluid and the filter but it sounds like I have to take it in to find the transmission label before I can buy the fluid. My guy works out of his home garage, with lift. Would rather make one trip. The last 7 of my VIN is NG83834 I looked it up on some decoder site but am still confused, it says the fluid is 8.10 liter which means a quantity to me not the type.

Also can I use any differential fluid or does that need to be special too?
    Those could've had either GM or ZF - you'd have to look what's in your's before you buy fluid. GM takes Dextron 6.

My Cars
    '06 zhp coupe
    A 2001 352 probably has a ZF. But really it does not matter that much. I'd put Valvoline Import Multi Vehicle in either one and call it a day.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I'm in limbo at this point! Yes, many say NO!..some say yes. As I mentioned, my new-to-me 03 e46 with 116.5 K I know to be lightly used from over the past 14 years. No trailer hitch, mostly women driven...meaning minimum wear to transmission...thus minimal 14 years of accumulated debre running thru the transmission.

My objective is to preserve to continue operational for the next 100K or my 75th years of age, whichever comes first!

It is my theory now, if ATF is changed withing 100k, depending on the level of light to hard use...(many people have a lead-foot, or for wagons, have pulled the lake boat up the mountains their lake boat. There are a lot of scenarios and even if we know history, does not the ZF or GM transmission care?

Age, not necessarily miles may also factor.

Those of us who understand why it is important to flush old brake fluid for new can also question ATF.

At 92k, in 2006, I had a German car indy, Bourne, Massachusetts, perform an ATF change for my 97 Audi avant..then with 92k. I still drive today this car with now 198k and the 4 speed auto transmission shifts as perfectly as it always has.

Both my 97 Audi and my new 03 BMW, have sealed transmissions and require a greater level for attention. No dipstick! Fluid changes require heated fill fluid and special gravity pumps. Definitely no longer a Saturday Morning do-it-yourself job!

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    The "dont change it because its so old" edict is a myth. What it refers to is having the fluid flushed. Doing so can do harm at any mileage. The number one killer of transmissions is heat. Old fluid doesnt have the same viscosity as new fluid so it is unable to dissipate heat from friction as well. Doesnt matter if its 80k or 280k.

Change the fluid. Simply drain, replace the filter, and refill.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I'm in limbo at this point! Yes, many say NO!..some say yes. As I mentioned, my new-to-me 03 e46 with 116.5 K I know to be lightly used from over the past 14 years. No trailer hitch, mostly women driven...meaning minimum wear to transmission...thus minimal 14 years of accumulated debre running thru the transmission.

My objective is to preserve to continue operational for the next 100K or my 75th years of age, whichever comes first!

It is my theory now, if ATF is changed withing 100k, depending on the level of light to hard use...(many people have a lead-foot, or for wagons, have pulled the lake boat up the mountains their lake boat. There are a lot of scenarios and even if we know history, does not the ZF or GM transmission care?

Age, not necessarily miles may also factor.

Those of us who understand why it is important to flush old brake fluid for new can also question ATF.

At 92k, in 2006, I had a German car indy, Bourne, Massachusetts, perform an ATF change for my 97 Audi avant..then with 92k. I still drive today this car with now 198k and the 4 speed auto transmission shifts as perfectly as it always has.

Both my 97 Audi and my new 03 BMW, have sealed transmissions and require a greater level for attention. No dipstick! Fluid changes require heated fill fluid and special gravity pumps. Definitely no longer a Saturday Morning do-it-yourself job!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I agree and ..and somewhat not agree here. ....dhurley34...You and I believe our BMW transmissions should have a service schedule for oil change, but none do. . Many people from over decades warn against any fluid changes...some say do it ! some not...but for a reason.

Old school auto transmission failures and their reasons....may be a (((carry-over)))..... to todays modern transmissions...far more advanced....
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 05-10-2017 at 03:54 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    So Anyone know how much fluid I should buy? I just ordered the kit from the dealer who was only $5 over my normal site I order from AutohausAZ but the parts kid wasn't sure how much fluid to buy. I guess I already have to have my guy lift the car (I think I have the ZF but prefer to be 100% on it) to find the tag so he should know but it is nice to know before hand. Parts guy thought maybe 5-6 liters from what the service guys usually ask for.

Many thanks to all for the info!

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    If its only 5-6 litres, then chances are its a ZF. A GM trans takes 7-9litres.

Heres a breakdown of the fluid specs for each trans.

ZF fluid spec= LT71141 or LA2634
    GM fluid spec = ETL8072B or ETL7045E

Luckily there are a few fluids out there that meet all 4 specs and can be used regardless of if its a GM or ZF. The two I know off the top of my head are Valvoline Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF and Redline D4. Because of price and availability, I recommend Valvoline Maxlife as its less than $40 for two 4 quart jugs at your local Walmart or auto parts store.
    Last edited by dhurley34; 05-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    I have personally used maxlife a few times with great results and no issues. A very important step here is to drain and fill with new fluid at least TWICE (drain - replace filter - fill - drive a few miles - drain - fill). The idea is to remove as much of the old fluid as possible and introduce as much new fluid as possible.

The only issue I ran in to when servicing a trans was when I used Dex 6 in a GM trans as recommended by BMW, but it did NOT mix very well with the remaining ETL8072 in the trans and caused hard shifts. Drained and filled twice with maxlife and couldn't be happier.
    Last edited by dhurley34; 05-10-2017 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I did read somewhere recently how also to drain the torque converter on our BMW cars in order to completely evacuate all ATF. I think it was a 'youtube' video. I know I did that on my 87 Benz, as there was a screw drain plug on the torque converter.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    There is zero way to drain the TC without cutting a cooler line.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I'm not sure the 'youtube' I watched represented the E46!....but yea, one could cut a cooler line, and that would be ok if after doing such, one rejoined that hose together with other than simple hose clamps...that mat, or may not, hold up.

My Cars
    2005 Mini Cooper S
    Hello Shogun!!!
    My daughter bought a 2005 Mini Cooper S here in the states..... when we purchased "Poppy", we knew she had something going on with the transmission- "slipping" and over-rev around 3rd -4th gear ( in automatic and manual mode)-- PERIODICALLY!!! She got such a good deal on her -so we have her now. I had put 8-900 miles on her as a test and rule out the possible causes... at that point, I did a transfusion of fluid from the drain plug and drain plug fill overflow... COMPLETE SUCCESS!!! along with being VERY careful to but back in what exactly came out- 2-7/8 U.S. Quarts..... We are now In the "drive it for a few (300-700) mile test" mode.

OUR HOPES ARE - SHE FEELS BETTER AND doesn't give up on us..... My intention was to re-drain again after the 700 miles and give her another transfusion. I have methodically thought about the concept of fresh fluid and that it can't hurt an already questionable (hopefully minor) issue.. But, yesterday I spoke to a young mechanic who said that was not a good idea since the OLD fluid was probably making g her still work due to the potential debris IN THE FLUID, and advised not to flush more of the old fluid out in the future.... (leave it gritty fluid in it because thats what is keeping it alive".... This gentleman has nothing to gain by telling me that- ( no possible agenda- just advise from someone else)- NOW I'M QUESTIONING MY JUDGEMENT ON THE FLUSH (ONLY FOR THE SECOND GO ROUND REAL SOON!!)

MY DAUGHTER WANTS TO DRIVE HER!!!

NOT LOOK at the pictures I send her everyday for the last two weeks of her on jacks.... like being a hospital.. 20 minutes after she put her $100.0 bills on the dealers desk, on her way home it HER NEW CAR, my daughter pulled over and said-" WE lost the transmission"----

HEARTBREAKING TO SEE HER FACE
    TELLING ME THAT!!!!!
    I drove "Poppy" out of the high speed median across the highway and didn't feel a thing..... against her advise to get her towed- I kept going--- all the way back to her apartment.... when we got there she was obviously hurt, sad, confused, broke, and mad - that the car SHE JUST BOUGHT IS NOW BROKEN...

NOT TRYING TO PLACATE THE SITUATION... I reminded her that is why we got the deal we did on her and for her to put that money in the bank for when- not if- it need's fixed...

I have spent $50.00 and a lot of love on the transmission.... so worth it- so far... we now have 1500 miles on the "bad trasmission"....

WHAT WOULD YOU DO NEXT???

I originally was going to drop the pan, change the filter and Solon id's while I was in there... but couldn't get the gasket set and filter for a couple days so I just wanted to DO SOMETHING TO START TO GET THE CAR DIAGNOSED....

NOW, I KNOW IT IS BETTER, BUT FOR HOW LONG??. She live 400 miles from home and the only creeper I want her around is me... not under her car!!!

Please offer ANY ADVISE YOU HAVE-

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU OR A REDIRECT FOR MORE POINTS TO CONSIDER....!!!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I started this thread and not the first to start such a thread! I can now share some of what I learned here.

I learned that my transmission is not a ZF but instead the less popular GM. More importantly I learned is to take a fluid sample in order to determine better the current state of condition. There are labs that do spectrographic analysis that can determine points of clutch-plate ware based from metal worn and metal content within the ATF. This is one way to approach while others go by color and or smell and these ways can determine atf fluid integrity as well. If it smells burned and really dark colored..get more opinions before changing it..Google ATF fluid changes on 'youtube'
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 08-07-2017 at 08:15 PM.

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    If your tranny fluid smells burned and is really dark colored, your tranny is on it's last legs.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    From my research over the years:
    Under normal conditions- change fluid and filter every 50,000mi.
    For use under extreme conditions- change at 25~30,000mi; or at first sign of fluid change(color,smell).
    Strange how there isn't this much debate over engine oil change intervals.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Yes, there have been many threads of this sort and I really believe that you guys are over thinking it. Transmissions NEED to have their fluid changed, end of story. There's no need to have the fluid tested or check for color (which is pretty much useless). If you were following the whole "lifetime fluid" thing, it's pretty much become evident that the term "lifetime" is subject to some interpretation and according to BMW (from what I understand), "lifetime" means 100k miles. It is my further understanding that manufacturers' suggested fluid change interval is 50k miles.

If you bought your car with low miles, change the tranny fluid at 50k. If you bought your car with over 50k miles on it, change it now. If your car has over 100k miles on it, change it anyway. If it quits running, you had problems anyway.

EDIT: oops! Looks like MIKYZZ4 hit in fewer words while I was typing.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 08-09-2017 at 11:53 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    It's helpful when either post, is a confirmation of the other.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    A fluid analysis is going to show that it needs to be changed. No question about it. Color cannot be used in this instance to judge whether it needs to be changed either because the fluid is brown from the factory. I think its just a case of people not wanting to spend the $100 to change the fluid and would rather risk being stranded. The old stick-your-head-in-the-sand method of maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast