Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone receive the Bmw safety recall letter for Driver's Air Bag Module??

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Anyone receive the Bmw safety recall letter for Driver's Air Bag Module??

Letter states that the recall applies to 01-03 Bmw 5 series Models and X5 sports utilities vehicles. Recall Number 17V-047. I can upload the letter for those that didn't get it.

What is the issue?
    In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver's side airbag , excessive internal pressure could cause the air bag inflator to rupture, resulting in metal fragments striking the driver or other passengers potentially resulting in serious injury or death.

What will BMW do?
    Your vehicle may have received a Takata inflator if the air bag module was replaced during a prior repair. The driver air bag module will be checked and if a Takata inflator is found, it will be replaced with a final remedy part. This free repair will take approximately one hour. You may request alternative transportation from your BMW center while your repair is taking place.

If you already had this repair performed at your own expense, please see the attachment regarding possible eligibility for reimbursement

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Cars
    are slow
    Yea, a long time ago. I still haven't replaced it.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Hmmm.I wonder how long this recall has been out?? I will go to my BMW dealer next weekend to see if I have the Takata inflator

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    For a very long while.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport
    Very very long while. Had mine replaced about a month ago.

2003 BMW 540i M-Sport: 6-speed swap, BC Racing Coilovers, DUDMD Tune, M60 Intake Manifold, Custom Exhaust, Polished M-Pars,
    Technical Graphite Trim w/ cupholder delete, E46 M3 tri-color stitched steering wheel,
    Dyno'd @ 253whp/291wtq (dynojet) before intake manifold swap

My Cars
    2003 530i sport
    Got the letter, had mine done, scored a nice shiny new airbag cover for the steering wheel in place of the scratched-up one I had

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I got a letter for the 540i/6 that I sold like a year ago... pretty useless. My current daily driver had the non-recall airbag since it was a 1999 build, but I swapped in a random 2001+ airbag because it looks nicer. Probably never going to get that replaced since there's no way BMW could ever track it down that far.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    My current daily driver had the non-recall airbag since it was a 1999 build, but I swapped in a random 2001+ airbag because it looks nicer. Probably never going to get that replaced since there's no way BMW could ever track it down that far.
    Don't give up. BMWNA replaced the e46 sport airbag I installed in my 2000 740i to add the paddle shifters. All they questioned me about was the part number for the airbag (which I had). It matched the Takata airbag recall list. They (BMWNA) were actually very good about the whole thing, which included a free rental car while it was being replaced.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    too many
    I got the letter today, 2001 540i. My letter states that "your vehicle may have recieved a Takata inflator if the air bag module was replaced during a prior repair. The driver air bag module will be checked and if a Takata inflator is found, it will be replaced with a final remedy part."

Do you guys know if this applies to the factory air bag, never deployed or replaced?

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    I got one today in the mail. I've been haggling my dealer about replacing my 530 and 540's bag but they would not do it because they are doing the repairs in "batches," and the parts have not come in yet. My wife is the only that has had her airbag replaced (2003 330ci) in the family.

Campaign number: 17V-047

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
    I got the letter today, 2001 540i. My letter states that "your vehicle may have recieved a Takata inflator if the air bag module was replaced during a prior repair. The driver air bag module will be checked and if a Takata inflator is found, it will be replaced with a final remedy part."

Do you guys know if this applies to the factory air bag, never deployed or replaced?
    Both. Unless your airbag deployed VERY recently.
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 03-20-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    Hmmm.I wonder how long this recall has been out?? I will go to my BMW dealer next weekend to see if I have the Takata inflator
    You might save yourself a trip. Type in your VIN at this web site to see if your car is affected by this or any other recall.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...tyrecalls.aspx

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Another M3 View Post
    You might save yourself a trip. Type in your VIN at this web site to see if your car is affected by this or any other recall.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...tyrecalls.aspx
    Even if it says its affected, don't expect the dealership to service it. Give them a call... give them the vin... and pray.

My 530 shows an open recall and when I called the dealer they said they couldn't do it until a batch of parts comes in for my VIN range.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Yep, I just got the letter today. I'd been checking the BMW NA website every so often for a long time now and it always came up negative even though it appeared I was in the range to be recalled.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    good looking out.. called dealer with vin, guess it is VIN specific, going to get replaced.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540I 6 speed
    Yes I did. Took it to the dealer and got it replaced a month or so ago. They paid for it.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    Don't give up. BMWNA replaced the e46 sport airbag I installed in my 2000 740i to add the paddle shifters. All they questioned me about was the part number for the airbag (which I had). It matched the Takata airbag recall list. They (BMWNA) were actually very good about the whole thing, which included a free rental car while it was being replaced.
    Good to know! I thought the recall only applied to the steering wheels that came with the car, but I guess it applies to all the affected airbags regardless of which car they're from. I'll get my airbag's part number and ask my local dealership about it.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Good to know! I thought the recall only applied to the steering wheels that came with the car, but I guess it applies to all the affected airbags regardless of which car they're from. I'll get my airbag's part number and ask my local dealership about it.
    If you dealership doesn't want to help you, contact BMWNA directly. They were the ones that authorized the replacement airbag for me. They even contacted the dealer I preferred, to let them know.
    Last edited by sealbeach740; 03-21-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Just got the letter today too. Will have to call the nearest dealer tomorrow morning.

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Dealer just called me to schedule me in. Said that they need to inspect the airbags to determine if they will need to be replaced.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    too many
    Today, dealer told me I need new bags but they haven't gotten any yet

Dealer told me to try back every 2 weeks

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Does the letter also state your car's VIN number? How long does it take to get this taken care of?

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Does the letter also state your car's VIN number? How long does it take to get this taken care of?
    Yes it does show the VIN in the letter. Service time only takes about 45-90 minutes.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I wonder if they would lend me the new M5 while my old M5 gets repaired.

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    went in this morning to change out, they checked the serial number, didn't have to change it. got a free car wash at least.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryb View Post
    went in this morning to change out, they checked the serial number, didn't have to change it. got a free car wash at least.
    What's your manufacturing date?

My car hasn't been washed in two years, so they're in for a surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast