Thread: EML, DSC, Engine Light On, Car won't start, ODB ECU connection, after CCV replacement

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 2005 E85

EML, DSC, Engine Light On, Car won't start, ODB ECU connection, after CCV replacement

Hi All,

So I decided to do the CCV replacement on Z4 3.0 2005. While the car remained parked in drive for almost 20 days, I didn't start the engine in the meantime, as the hoses were disconnected from the day one, I only manage to put everything back as and when I got chance during last 3 weeks, should've done the job early but here comes the great British weather...

Everything is connected back but I got a bit of a problem. So it goes like this:

• Started by disconnecting all electronic connectors and relevant hoses for CCV (didn't disconnect the battery, prob should have done)
    • Replaced CCV and all hoses
    • Tried thoroughly cleaning inside throttle body where the flap is, on either side of the flap. Flap may have moved a little bit forward/backward during the cleaning but very little I believe, not sure if it matters though ?
    • Replaced Vacuum hose to Brake Servo
    • Put back everything including hoses, clamps, air filter, electric connectors (never disconnected the battery, should have done may be)
    • Did a smoke test, inserted smoke through one point on air intake rubber boot and didn't notice any leaks
    • Went on to start the car considering all good:
      • Ignition position 1 & 2 seemed normal, no issues
      • Went on to start the engine but it didn't start
      • Warning lights appeared on Dash including EML, Engine Service (SES) and DSC
      • Turned the key off to try again
      • At Ignition position 2, dash lights would come back again + a strange noise like Pumping Strokes, or as if when you push a vacuum pump. This noise repeats as like 6-7 attempts and then stops. Apparently the noise is quite audible while inside the car, seems like coming from somewhere behind the dash / passenger side area (car is right hand drive).
      • So from Key position 2, if I turn back to 1 and go again to 2 within like 2-5 sec, this pumping noise doesn't come. But turn key back to position 1 and give it like a min, go back to position 2 and exactly same noise, same number of pumping attempts can be heard.
      • Further on from position 2, engine cranks but won't start.

• So far, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, Re-seated Throttle body electric plug, Did a 4-times pedal press exercise (as in one of the post from Bav autos, http://blog.bavauto.com/8371/bmw-m54...lation-repair/) but no difference. Car wouldn't start, Lights won't go, and pumping noise comes each time at ignition position 2.
    • Another thing, an ODBII bluetooth scanner that used to work fine on this car before I started working, doesn't seem to connect to Car's ECU anymore. But not sure if its this scanner or something gone wrong with ECU/Electronics. The same BT scanner is working fine on my fiesta. Could be just that it was a cheap one from ebay? I've ordered couple more better ones (with good reviews) and will attempt again to read the codes when they arrive.

I tried online, but doesn't seem anyone had all similar symptoms after such work. I'll be grateful for any help if someone have an idea what this could be.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    When you say it won't start do you mean it will turn over but not fire or do you mean it won't turn over? If it won't turn over check the battery, a weak battery show similar symptoms.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 2005 E85
    One more thing, during these days I once disconnected the injectors but plug back in same time (again battery remained always connected), not sure if relevant but thought to mention it as I don't know what could have caused these symptoms.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0SI
    My scanner won't connect to the OBD; the #24 fuse was blown. Also with that fuse, my clock memory didn't hold the time and the key in the ignition chime didn't work.
    I have a 2007 SI for reference.
    2007 Z4 3.0si

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 2005 E85
    Edited: Apologies for my lack of knowledge around you query, so when I turn (and keep hold) the key to last position where engine would start (and fire up), I can properly feel engine cranking continuously as long as I hold the key in that position but wouldn't fire. I assume that means it is turning over as it's cranking OR does cranking and turning over are different things ?
    If so, whats the best way to confirm if its turning over at all or not.
    Last edited by itztariq; 03-19-2017 at 09:59 AM.

My Cars
    Z4 3.0 2005 E85
    Update so far:
    I have found two fuses blown at two different places.
    1- There is a small fuse box in the same electric compartment where the ECU is placed. This is on the right corner under the bonnet. This is second fuse from left, 30A. This box was little tricky to first take out and then pry to slide the cover off to reveal the fuses. Found some details at this link about how to take a fuse out of this fuse section. (http://blog.bavauto.com/5677/bmw-e46...derhood-e-box/)
    2- 5A fuse at number 8 position in the main fuse box which is behind the gloves compartment.
    Will get both these replaced and will see if that make things any better. At the moment, I've got the the battery disconnected. After replacing new fuses will reconnect the battery and will see if I can get OBD connection back through either of the scanners. I plan to clear the codes (if I could) before I go ahead to start the engine next time. Lets see.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    Yes, cranking means turning over. If you have blown fuses, you should find out why the fuses blew or you will be in the same situation again.