Thread: Help me figure out what this thing's worth.

My Cars
    97 bucket

Help me figure out what this thing's worth.

I spotted this gem in my neighborhood... 1986 325e. I can't pass it up without at least seeing what you guys think it's worth. Car has 71k original miles, beautiful body besides a minor bend in the rear bumper cover from a rear end collision. Has sport seats. And what look to be euro spec bumpers? Not your typical ETA... Any input is appreciated.

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    That's some strange stripes. I'd say that drives the price down.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

My Cars
    97 bucket
    Shoot, I was thinking that's one of its higher selling points man

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I agree that the stripe is too much and I would use it to negotiate a lower price but, a much lower price as getting the car repainted would not be inexpensive. If you like the stripe then you can still use it's presence as a bargaining tool. Otherwise the car looks very clean. Nice wheels, nice chrome on the bumpers, it's an E, low miles, California car, etc...

Is this at a BMW shop? I ask as I see another E30 parked next to it and what looks like an E24 6 series parked down the street.

What is the asking price?

My Cars
    e30 e46
    Appears to be a real gray market car due to the added side markers. Any chance the ///M stripes are vinyl and can be removed?

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Definitely looks like a gray market car. Sounds like it had either the 11:1 or 10.2:1 high compression euro m20b27.

Those look like the m4 safety car stripes:

My Cars
    97 bucket
    I was thinking it was gray market... And the stripes are vinyl, and are definitely too much. The dude is asking 4800. And is there any way of knowing if it is the high compression b27?

My Cars
    2 1987 325i, 430K; 210K
    Good catch. I'd say that has to be where they got the idea. They are weird but if the 71K miles checks out, and I'm guessing one could suss that out, I'd overlook the stripes for that action. I have no experiece with the 'e' engine but I gather they can be tweaked for more hp/speed.

I'd buy it and paint it brontzilber, inside edges of doors as well, the works. If those sripes are painted on, who knows, some king of paint remover might work. Be careful towards the end and you could leave the original paint under it in pretty good shape. I think. Never applied paint remover to a car.
    cmac

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SGDHORN View Post
    What is the asking price?
    Yeah, it would be good to know so there is a base line.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    They probably want $8,000-10,000. They'd get it to, without the crazy stripes.

I'd consider it a worthwhile buy at $4k, but then I'm cheap when it comes to buying cars. It's probably worth at least 6k, without the stripes.

The issue with the stripes is paint damage. If that's not oem original paint, it'll pull up the paint when they're removed. If it is oem paint, it'll still more than likely damage at least a quarter of the surface area. I used to work as the designer for a sign shop and did plenty of vehicle graphics. New vehicles with less than 2 year old vinyl usually were ok. 30 year old paint? I would tell the customer that we will make absolutely no guarantees working with that and if they don't like it, they can remove it somewhere else.

Now, if you're super lucky, they used expensive quick release vinyl. It has dimples on the back that hold to the surface. That stuff releases very easily without paint damage. But it doesn't look like it.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    2 1987 325i, 430K; 210K
    It is a weird question mark. No accounting for taste. Why anyone would think that is cool is beyond me, any previous history of it being used by BMW notwithstanding.

I suspect anyone who would do that would be something of a Bimmerhead , so the maintenance is probably okay. I say that because I discovered an '87 325i at a boneyard once with 76K on the odometer. My parts guy and I figured that the first timing belt finally broke, that the owner had no clue. There were no signs of an accident or anything. I wish I could have bought that car ahead of the boneyard.
    cmac

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

My Cars
    1986 325
    The stripes are... unique. I kinda dig them but don't. They almost make the car stand out a little too much.

With 71k miles, that's pretty awesome. I think 4800 is definitely reasonable. You could probably haggle it down a bit... those look like wheel covers, so probably steels underneath those. Not a selling point... LOL.

And you can definitely do some stuff to the stock engine, or go into something like a stroker for more go... but to be really honest, an Eta can, despite what some might say, be a fun car to drive.
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

The issue with the stripes is paint damage. If that's not oem original paint, it'll pull up the paint when they're removed. If it is oem paint, it'll still more than likely damage at least a quarter of the surface area. I used to work as the designer for a sign shop and did plenty of vehicle graphics. New vehicles with less than 2 year old vinyl usually were ok. 30 year old paint? I would tell the customer that we will make absolutely no guarantees working with that and if they don't like it, they can remove it somewhere else.
    i was the someone else

did vehicle graphics for yrs including freelance for several autobody and collision repair businesses and can mostly concur. we did the harder remove / repair stuff like that as we were independent. most graphics places were chains even then, and there's no way they'd do that stuff, it couldn't pay. we did charge loads for it but most of those jobs didn't even make shop rate for the time.

removing old stuff was never a problem even if the graphic was cracked and broken, the paint under it would never match tho, it was usually better lol. loads of times the graphic would appear "ghosted" on the paint as result, and even uglier than the crappy graphic. a lot of the time we'd get the vinyl off but the glue would remain, removing the glue was more dangerous usually than removing the graphic

if any graphic had been applied within 24hrs of a fresh paint job, then no chance in frozen hades. i did some autobody jobs where you only got one shot to lay a whole entire pinstripe cause the paint was so wet there was no hope for any sort of lift or correction. they would actually sink into the surface. shops work on time so a lot of the jobs i did were just coming out of the bake room, and if that is the case then that graphic is with the car until sanding lol.

My Cars
    e30 e46
    Quote Originally Posted by StrictlyEuros View Post
    . And is there any way of knowing if it is the high compression b27?
    Right behind the alternator on the block is a flat pad with a bunch of numbers stamped in it. Don't recall exactly what they are but if it has a "k" in the 1st few digits, it's a 9:1 version vs. a high compression version.