Thread: Chris Forsberg Laying Down A Single Set of Tracks On A Crazy Mountain Road

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

Chris Forsberg Laying Down A Single Set of Tracks On A Crazy Mountain Road

I really enjoyed this. If any of you haven't seen it yet, it's probably worth a watch:

My Cars
    1996 328is 5sp
    Reminds me of "Off Seasons 2." Great video thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Was a cool video to watch.

not to steal the thread but I did see this a while back, rather than make a whole thread...
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Hey man, I'm really all free love with my threads, so have your way with 'er, as long as you're nice! Hahaha, shows you how old I am, you'll probably have to google "free love." You'll probably be like:

Sorry no appropriate Scarlett or Katy Perry, but I like this chick better anyway, cuz as I said, I'm old, and I realize that she'd probably be a lot more fun... Well, who knows..

ANYWAY.... Now that I'm done rambling about complete nonsense for a moment, the video you posted of the LS'd E36 brings me back to another topic that's been on my mind for the last several months, and on which I can never really find any definitive information or really good discussion: What are the relative merits and demerits of LS swaps versus JZ swaps?? I know it's considered to be a ridiculous topic in a lot of cases, and definitely beating a dead horse, but does anyone care to bite into it a little bit anyway? I know we have people on here who have done both, although maybe not the same guy who has done both..?

To further the discussion topic along, here is another potentially interesting video that is kind of on point for this off-topic tangent:

How many more ways can we go OT on a Monday morning..

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    That M5 is cool but the video is BORING! Too much youtuber yakking, not enough smoke and flames.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Good point! If he was on his normal roads in the canyons outside of L.A. it would have been better (albeit probably not great in the way you're describing would make it great). I also thought the flares were ugly, but I was sucked in by the 2JZ swap done well. I'm always on the fence...

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Actually I do know of one guy who pulled out a LS in favor of a 2JZ vvti, although it was for a S14 not a E36.
    He loves it and says he wouldn't go back. Insert stuff about turbo being more about the spirit of drifting here.

Keeping with the cool videos, here's my 1JZ E28 ripping a burnout the day after I got the 3.73 LSD in.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BCDdOsHB...-by=andyitslit
    (excuse car bounce, it's bagged.)
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Tptrsn I think we should make a new LS vs JZ thread where everyone who's done one can weigh in with the pro's / cons and it'' be easily searchable

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Actually I do know of one guy who pulled out a LS in favor of a 2JZ vvti, although it was for a S14 not a E36.
    He loves it and says he wouldn't go back. Insert stuff about turbo being more about the spirit of drifting here.

Keeping with the cool videos, here's my 1JZ E28 ripping a burnout the day after I got the 3.73 LSD in.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BCDdOsHB...-by=andyitslit
    (excuse car bounce, it's bagged.)
    Does that dude ever elaborate on what he prefers about the 2JZ over the LS? Or is the mention of the turbo stuff being more in the spirit of drifting basically what he says?

BTW, I love that burnout video!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Tptrsn I think we should make a new LS vs JZ thread where everyone who's done one can weigh in with the pro's / cons and it'' be easily searchable
    While I do love a good Off Topic discussion, that sounds like a great idea if you think that people would actually be interested/willing to discuss it? Seems like normally this topic just gets trashed as not worth discussing because it's like a brand loyalty or purely personal preference sort of thing.

You willing to start one?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Does that dude ever elaborate on what he prefers about the 2JZ over the LS? Or is the mention of the turbo stuff being more in the spirit of drifting basically what he says?
    Little background on him is that he does proam events around Vegas/Arizona
    Alright so he had a LS1, and it made 300whp on a dyno, started knocking one day. Had 2JZ in his shop so he put it in while he planned to rebuild the LS1.
    Simple little mods and upping the boost netted him 350whp with the 2JZ on the dyno.

Fast forward and he went to a bigger single turbo and is at 450whp. It's also been working reliably on a stock ECU for over 2 years of thrashing.

Coolest part I think is if that engine blows or loses compression, it's as simple as picking up another bone stock 2JZ and bolting your turbo parts onto it. No REAL need to open it up for headgasket or billet blah blah.
    /which was basically my reasoning for 1JZ over S52, LS, etc. I don't want to be down for long if I blow a motor. Not having a baller budget for spare motors + spare motor internal upgrades
    side note: initial swap costs are likely higher for JZs
    Last edited by Press22; 03-20-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit