Thread: E46 Powered Sport Seats in My E30 IX

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX

E46 Powered Sport Seats in My E30 IX

First, those who agree/disagree, like/dislike these seats is all about personal taste and this thread is obviously biased toward those who do like them. The OEM sport seats in my new to me 1989 ix have seen much better days and will get set aside for a possible rebuild in the future but, I stumbled upon a mint set of black powered sport seats out of a 2001 330 that I can't pass up. $90.00 for the pair allows me nice seats and the money that would have to be spent restoring the stock seats can be better spent (for now) on my 5-speed conversion.

I do have and like the sport seats in my 1990 vert but, just sitting in the E46 sport seats seemed that they were a bit more comfortable/roomy.

Yes, the powered seats are heavier but, my ix will be a daily driver and weight is less of a concern than comfort and adjustability. I would have preferred manual seats but, these were in too nice a condition to pass up and there weren't any manual seats in the lot except some ratty E36 comforts in tan leather.

With an all black interior my thoughts are that these will blend nicely.

Now, a question about the wiring, can anyone point out which wires are for what? This is the loom on the passenger's seat if that makes a difference. I am assuming 12-volt power, grounds, heating element if heated, seat belt warning system, passenger detection sensor for airbag?

From what I have read about wiring these the better option is a direct fused 12-volt lead from the battery to the seats vs tapping into the cigarette lighter. Advice gladly accepted.

Heavier gauge red = ??? 12 volt power
    Heavier gauge brown = Ground?
    Lighter gauge brown = also a ground?
    Blue with red stripe = ? Why two of the same wire?
    Blue with yellow dashes = ?
    White with red stripe = ?
    Twisted blue with red stripe/solid blue = ?

I will mount them using brackets sourced from Kadunza.

https://kadunza.myshopify.com/produc...kets-4dr-sedan

From their website:

BMW E30 | E36 / E46 Seat Adapter Brackets V4 (4DR Sedan)

Seat brackets designed for easy drop in installation of E36 or E46 front seats into a BMW E30 84-91 3 Series 4dr sedan.
    This includes (power or manual) E36 M3 "Vader" style seats, E36 Sport Seats, E36 Comfort Seats, E46 Sport Seats, and E46 Comfort Seats.
    Brackets are made of laser cut 3/16" thick mild steel plate that has welded studs and are powder coated with a durable wrinkle black finish.

The new "V4" 4dr design used in 4dr sedans 84-92 BMW E30 3 Series vehicles where the seat belt anchors to the seat and not to a floorboard anchor like it does in a 2dr coupe. The mounting holes are slotted to accommodate cars with warped floorboards or for easier fitment of E46 seats.

These can also be used on 2dr cars but you will have to fabricate your own method to anchor your seat belts.
    It is recommended that you cut or grind the spacers off your E36 seat tracks to allow for lower mounting but no required.
    No other modifications are required on 4dr sedan cars once your seats are installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I found a video on YouTube that there is another connector that allows powering of the seat and is simply a 12-volt power feed and a ground. I guess the memory function won't work as that information was stored in the cars computer.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    Seats were easy to power and remove. The two wire connector with the brown (ground) and red (power) are all that are required to power ALL functions of the seat except the memory function.

The seat belt mechanism has two different connectors. I am hoping that the small gauge red and black wire are the seat belt sensor wires?

The seats cleaned up nicely. Not a tear, rip, cut or even that much wear on the driver's seat bolsters.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    For those wondering about size. The narrowest part of the E30 from the center console to the door pocket is 21" and the width of the E46 seats at their widest point is 20 1/4". The total overall width of the seat rails is 19 3/4" with a center to center width of the mounting hole at 18".

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    Forgive me if this has been covered before but, I read many different opinions on if the E46 seats would fit in an E30. Well, they do SORT OF...

Let me explain.

1. Yes, custom mounting brackets will be needed but, these can be made or bought online.

2. The E30 male seat belt "clip" functions in the E46 seat mounted female receptacle.

3. The seal belt floor/seat anchor from the E30 will have to be modified to fit the E46 seat or cut the E30 seat belt and have a professional sew on the E46 mount.

4. The seats do not hit the center console if you are taller and adjust the seat more rearward.

5. The Driver's seat does hit, though very lightly, the center console if the seat is adjusted more forward as is the case for me and I am 5' 8"

6. I really like the height adjustability of the seats. I always felt the stock seats set you at an odd angle with the steering wheel or maybe it was just that the steering wheel should tilt.

7. The E46 seats feel wider and therefore do not hold you as firmly as the E30 sport seats but, I like the extra width.

8. The E46 seats are obviously heavier than the E30 seats. I weighed everything and stock E30 manual sport seats weigh 45 lbs. The E46 powered sports seats weigh 63 lbs. or an extra 18 pounds per seat for a total of 36 extra lbs. for the two seats.

9. Rear passenger leg room is adequate for a smaller passenger if the seat is adjusted where I would be comfortable but, if adjusted further back for a taller driver then the rear leg room becomes very, very tight. This isn't an issue for me as I never have rear passengers.

10. The E46 seats do not tilt forward like the E30's.
    Last edited by 1SGDHORN; 03-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I ordered the Kadunza brackets and the passenger seat is in. A couple of observations and my experience mounting these seats. It would have been VERY helpful if the brackets were marked "passenger inner", "passenger outer", "driver inner", "driver outer. I spent to much time trying to figure out what bracket went where and actually bolted them in wrong at first. The pictures on Kadunza's web site were not the easiest to figure out.

Additionally, when I bolted the bracket tight on the floor they flexed enough that the bolts in the brackets and the holes in the E46 seats would not line up. And you can't mount the bracket to the seat first as there isn't enough room on the inside bracket to get a socket or a wrench on the front nut or rear bolt to tighten them to the body.

My solution...

- Bolt the bracket to the seat. The outer bracket can be tightened.
    - Bolt the inner bracket but only thread the nut on enough to keep the bracket from falling off.
    - Put the seat in place.
    - Pry up between the inner seat rail and the bracket. By doing this I was able lift the seat rail away from the bracket enough to slide a ratcheting wrench over the bolt and nut and tight down the bracket to the floor pan. Now when the bracket flexes the bolt is already in the seat rail hole and the misalignment won't be an issue.
    - Tighten down the Kadunza supplied nuts and your all set.

It was initially a struggle figuring out which bracket goes where and then how to tighten the mounting hardware but when it was all said and done I am happy with the install.

Another advantage I discovered with the E46 seats is that they recline.

My Cars
    e34 e39
    nice work. This is the first Ive seen e46 in an e30. I dont think they would fit the convertible tho

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I also have a convertible and feel the size of the rocker panels would not allow these seats to fit. Fortunately the sport seats in my vert are in nice shape.

My Cars
    TRIUMPH tr250,tr6, bmw 325i
    Just did the e46 sport seat swap into my 1985 325e and all went well except my e30 male seat belt clip does not lock into the e46 female clip. Was there any further mods done to the clip to make it lock in. Thinking might have to swap the e30 female clip on to the e46 seat.

My Cars
    87 M6, 90 325iC, 89 iX
    I haven't gotten further than just mounting the seats but, my plan is to cut off the E30 metal male end and replace it with the E46 male end. The only unknown is if I can find a local company that will do the sewing given that they are seatbelts and could be a liability issue.
    "Life is too Short to drive boring cars"

1986 325E
    1989 325iX (Long term 5-speed/refresh project)
    1993 MB 300E
    1995 MB E320
    2000 Audi TT (Winter AWD snow beast)
    2007 Porsche Cayman S (Summer car)
    2009 VW Touareg

My Cars
    TRIUMPH tr250,tr6, bmw 325i
    It was very easy to remove the female seat belt clip from my e30 sport seat and mount it on the e46 sport seat.