Thread: Transmission Issue. Any tips or suggestions?

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 530i

Transmission Issue. Any tips or suggestions?

Hello, Im new to the forum and new to BMW. So a friend of mine was moving and needed to get rid gave me a 1994 BMW 530i. Its an automatic has 245,000 miles. It runs very well exept for this transmission issue, however I was able to drive it home which was around 50 miles. Its body is totally strait great paint its a little dirty from sitting but otherwise in very good condition for its age and the fact it was free. The issue with the car is that reverse works perfectly fine, however when placed in drive, it acts like its slipping, unless you floor it then it engages and shifts fine. After a couple miles it flashes "trans program see owners manual". It shifts between 3rd and 4th with no slipping once this mode kicks in. However until that mode engage,it acts like its in neutral unless you floor it. Once you floor it there's no slipping through all the gears. It just wont go while attempting to in a slow manor. The previous owner said they did a trans flush but nothing changed. The fact it doesn't slip in the trans program mode leads me to think its electrical? Any tips is greatly appreciated!!!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Driving it this way will make it worse, certainly at full throttle. From here it sounds like an issue with the valve body within the trans., others who know more will chime in.
    You problem might be finding someone familiar enough with it and willing to attempt repairs rather than a full blown overhaul which is de rigueur at most transmission shops.
    Overhauls are $2k and up in these parts and a big reason E34s wind up at a wrecking yard.
    Good luck
    Whiskychaser???

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    First of all check the transmission fluid at correct temperature and procedure, details here http://www.europeantransmissions.com...MWtechinfo.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1995 520I, 2001 320E Ben
    From an ignorant but analytical perspective!!
    If the fluid is good and you need to have a high RPM in order to engage the gears, you are loosing pressure.
    The valve body is at the top of my list.
    From what I have seen and read, removing the valve body is easy but putting it back is not for the faint of heart.
    Lining it up requires a lot of know-how about that.
    If you intend to attempt that, you will need to do a lot of research and reading.
    shogun can tell you all about that I'm sure.
    Last edited by JoeGons; 03-17-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Since we can’t do it alone, we need each other.
    My 520i 1995 E34

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 530i
    Thank you all for your responses! Its weird because once it engages its like a manual transmission when you dump the clutch. It you maintain rpm it kicks it into trans program mode and then doesn't slip. I haven't been able to get under the vehicle and check the fluid yet. This was a free car, I did look up a local wrecking yard and can purchess a used transmission with 60 day warranty for 400.00. I don't know how much it would be to have that installed but just looking at options. The engine runs really strong I must say, no visible oil leaks or ticking. Almost sounds like it may have been rebuilt but I really don't know. When I drove it the car was very smooth, alignment was spot on breaks good tires are good. I will keep everyone updated of the status.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    As for the pressure, I have seen many cases where the metal mesh strainer in front of the pressure/volume regulating valve inside the valve body was partly blocked, see here
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hifting-solved
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    I wouldn't drive it but if you have to, try putting it in winter mode. That will start you off in a higher gear and shift up faster. At the moment it is doing the equivalent of slipping the clutch on a manual and flooring it to get moving. As with a manual, you will not notice the slipping so much in higher gears. FWIW, when it goes into trans prog, the pressure regulator in the trans is powered down so you get all the pressure the pump can give. Check the ATF level using the proper procedure as advised. While you are under the car, check that the shift cable is adjusted and working correctly. If you can, get the TCM fault codes read but they may just confirm what you know - what you are putting in at the front is not coming out at the back

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 1994 e34 530i View Post
    Thank you all for your responses! Its weird because once it engages its like a manual transmission when you dump the clutch. It you maintain rpm it kicks it into trans program mode and then doesn't slip. I haven't been able to get under the vehicle and check the fluid yet. This was a free car, I did look up a local wrecking yard and can purchess a used transmission with 60 day warranty for 400.00. I don't know how much it would be to have that installed but just looking at options. The engine runs really strong I must say, no visible oil leaks or ticking. Almost sounds like it may have been rebuilt but I really don't know. When I drove it the car was very smooth, alignment was spot on breaks good tires are good. I will keep everyone updated of the status.
    If you buy a trans from a wrecker be sure it was from a running driving car AND the correct one. Like I said earlier trans failure is a top reason E34s go to the heap.
    If the donor ain't crashed be suspicious, that warranty will be little comfort when you are back under the car hoisting that 220# box out and in again, not to mention $150 worth of synthetic trans oil down the drain.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1994 Bmw 530i
    So a little bit of an update. The previous owner contacted me and it turns out that he never did a full flush. He said when he got it the valve body was removed, he apparently cleaned the valve body but due to needing to git rid of it he decided to put it back together and added transmission fluid. He however gave me a complete valve body rebuild kit, A new torque converter, and a flush kit as well as a entire new gasket set. He also gave me the bentley manual for the car. I still haven't been able to work on it as its been pouring rain here. I have driven it a few times I have needed too. It totally engages fine if you romp on it. Anyways how much do you figure to have those installed? Or is it the torque converter? here it isBMW.jpg

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Just a thought...

When I revived my 525i from the dead after it sat for 2 years I did the drain and refill procedure that Shogun has and the car started working fine. Then after a day or so, it would take high revs to engage in gear. So I checked the fluid level again and it was nearly 3 quarts low! Refilled again and its been working great since.

My guess is that when the trans sat for so long the fluid all slowly drained to the pan and the amount in the TC was also slightly drained. When I refilled it, it did not give it time to get into all the gear drums and I filled with not enough fluid.

Your friend may have not filled it correctly and you may just be low on fluid. Stop driving it.

CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL first. It may only cost you less that $50. You will need a oil fluid pump, get it a harbor freight for less than $10.

If you're not a mechanic type of guy, take it to a trans shop and have them do a complete fluid and filter flush for about $150, and you will stay dry and clean.
    Last edited by kouks; 03-27-2017 at 12:10 PM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)