Thread: For informational purposes, where did you start and what has your progression been?

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

For informational purposes, where did you start and what has your progression been?

I went to the track twice last year and I am hooked. I've already signed up for 3 events before May this year. I have been looking on Motorsport Reg at all of the available events in my area and I see that there are open lapping days. Motorsport Reg doesn't have any information on the requirements and usually you're directed to the general information email for the venue.

This got me thinking. Generally speaking, how much experience is required for open lapping days? Even more generally speaking, what is the typical progression? I am not trying to enter real races here, but there's obviously a lot of time behind the wheel between your first HPDE and your first club race. I searched but I didn't find any open ended answers to this specific question.

So how about you? Where are you now and how did you get there?

Cheers!

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Most open lapping days or testntunes require enough experience to be considered ok solo. They generally advertise as intermediate or advanced drivers. I would think that would mean 5+ events keeping in mind its not your speed that matters, but you're "mastery" of track safety: pit in/out procedures, the flags, emergency procedures, corner station awareness as well as the ability to manage not only yourself but traffic and other situations around you at the same time. A lot of instructing novices is simply helping them manage all these things at once, and for good reason.

I'd recommend skipping the open lapping days and focusing on events with an emphasis on instruction. That's why you're there after all.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I'm not sure how it works at your local track, but generally you have to do at least 4 separate times with an instructor before they allow you to drive solo on open track days (obvious safety reasons). From there and after gaining experience, you're able to move to auto-cross. When you get serious about tracking your car, make sure all your bushings and suspension is in order - tires also make the biggest difference. Let us know if we can help or if you have any other questions.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Most open lapping days or testntunes require enough experience to be considered ok solo. They generally advertise as intermediate or advanced drivers. I would think that would mean 5+ events keeping in mind its not your speed that matters, but you're "mastery" of track safety: pit in/out procedures, the flags, emergency procedures, corner station awareness as well as the ability to manage not only yourself but traffic and other situations around you at the same time. A lot of instructing novices is simply helping them manage all these things at once, and for good reason.

I'd recommend skipping the open lapping days and focusing on events with an emphasis on instruction. That's why you're there after all.
    As an instructor, ^this.
    I still enjoy getting another instructor in the car and getting pointers, different opinions, and ideas.
    I'd say my progression is pretty typical, 5 or so events with an instructor, sign off to solo, lots of learning after that, decision to instruct after 3-4 years, and now considering racing. Some get signed off to solo quicker than 5 events (rare, but I signed one guy off after 2 days), and some take 10 or 15 events. And FYI, HPDE, instructing, and racing are 3 quite different hobbies.
    Enjoy where you are in the hobby!
    Last edited by aeronaut; 03-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.

My Cars
    Many
    If you can do an event with a free instructor, ALWAYS choose that over a lapping day.

My Cars
    M3TTst2Meth-K1300S-1100G
    Instructor here as well. Only problem is that my wife does not always appreciate my freely given advice based on my extensive driving experience...not to mention based on my gender alone.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    I went to the track twice last year and I am hooked. I've already signed up for 3 events before May this year. I have been looking on Motorsport Reg at all of the available events in my area and I see that there are open lapping days. Motorsport Reg doesn't have any information on the requirements and usually you're directed to the general information email for the venue.

This got me thinking. Generally speaking, how much experience is required for open lapping days? Even more generally speaking, what is the typical progression? I am not trying to enter real races here, but there's obviously a lot of time behind the wheel between your first HPDE and your first club race. I searched but I didn't find any open ended answers to this specific question.

So how about you? Where are you now and how did you get there?

Cheers!
    I did an abnormal amount of track weekends before going solo (20 or so weekends?). Too much value from an instructor to pass that kind of advise up to go at it alone. Once you are solo, you will be hunting for high dollar coaches and realize the value HPDE coaches are really bringing to your experience......

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    i started in '12 with nasa norcal @ thunder hill raceway. my first weekend on track with instructor, i was signed off solo after a lead follow during session 3 i think, on sunday. i have total of 18 days on track so far. more coming april 1/2 @ corvette park.
    primary run in the green/yellow or 1 and 2 group. last event i asked about a check ride into blue/inter with chin. i have 9 days experience at Corvette park I'm comfortable there. I don't have budget for anything higher then HPDE currently so its my fun goal for now.
    as i understand your goals and wallet have impact on your career. race school and a car is all you need for racing not 100 track days.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    So it sounds like I definitely have a bunch of DEs ahead of me before I can go solo and hit the open lapping days. Just to be clear, I would always choose a DE over an open day. I am picturing a situation in my head where I'd be choosing between 6 DEs and 6 DEs + an open day or two. Of course then I suppose you can always just find 2 more DEs etc. I also imagine the open days are cheaper though, correct? That is always a factor.

Anyways it sounds like I should just get my car put back together and get out there ASAP!

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Totally different experience here. I ran HPDEs with BMW CCA and PCA exclusively, about four different local chapters so I got a good cross section. Did 5 or so weekends a summer, and I didn't get moved into a full-time solo run group until the beginning of my fourth summer. I learned a little bit slowly, and saw some of my peers move into solo groups maybe a little faster than that, but not a bunch. I'm not surprised if there are groups out there that find folks have sufficient situational awareness to run solo after five days, but I wouldn't run with one.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Actually, the push is to get instructors out of cars SOONER. Figuring out a way to do that safely is a challenge, but there are multiple benefits (including safety). Instructors tend to be very conservative, and I know of no instructor that would release a student to solo if they wouldn't be on the track with him/her. There'll be some students that are good to go after just a few events, and some that quite bluntly will never solo (but will stay in the hobby).

Like your experience, it's not about the number of events you've done. It's about frequency, instructor quality, track difficulty, size of run groups, car, weather, etc. It's also harder to learn the details of energy management in a modern high HP car that starts out with all the nannies turned on (and in a modern car, that's the way one should start).
    Last edited by aeronaut; 03-20-2017 at 12:05 PM.